Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Black Mirror (Netflix series)

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

^ i like how you snuck that into the editing description! Indeed, she is. I kept thinking she looked familiar, and it was somewhat surprising to see she was Pom Klementieff, Mantis from Guardians/Avengers.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post

^ i like how you snuck that into the editing description! Indeed, she is. I kept thinking she looked familiar, and it was somewhat surprising to see she was Pom Klementieff, Mantis from Guardians/Avengers.

Yeah, I was sitting there thinking "Where have I seen this actress before?" and then boom - recognised that highly unique name in the credits.

Also, yes, Roxette was fit as.

Gonna try and get the third episode watched tonight after the Canadian GP.

United States

Good catch haha.

She was fine in the Oldboy remake too.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Super Moderator

UK
    Watched the last episode ... don't know what youze are moaning about, it was a really good episode. I quite enjoyed it, found it to be rather fun.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Watched the last episode ... don't know what youze are moaning about, it was a really good episode. I quite enjoyed it, found it to be rather fun.
    The Ashley Too episode? I enjoyed it. Just out of this new batch, I’d say it’s the weakest. But even the weakest Mirror episodes are better than most tv, so it’s not meant to put it down.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I'm with Bass on this. I wasn't hating, just a bit letdown considering they got Miley Cyrus to play a part. It wasn't horrible, just the weaker of the three. It kinda just ended, you know?
    Last edited by Moon Knight; 11-Jun-2019 at 04:01 AM. Reason: It's a new day yes it is.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Super Moderator

UK
    The Ashley Too episode? I enjoyed it. Just out of this new batch, I’d say it’s the weakest. But even the weakest Mirror episodes are better than most tv, so it’s not meant to put it down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    I'm with Bass on this. I wasn't hating, just a bit letdown considering they got Miley Cyrus to play a part. It wasn't horrible, just the weaker of the three. It kinda just ended, you know?
    The ending was a bit abrupt, although it was nice to get glimpses after during the credits with all the episodes, and that Ashley was able to do more what she wanted (it was fun to see those bubblegum pop girls flee the rock club in fright, haha).

I think I enjoyed this episode more than the social media hostage episode. Now, it was done very well with a cracking central performance, but I don't know, I wanted more out of it, but I'm not really sure what, but again it was a very solid episode (and several steps above that black and white episode and a robot dog killer droid thing ... I absolutely do not understand why that episode got so much praise, that baffles me) ... ... anyway, I think the 'technology concepts' were more a part of the Ashley Too episode, so maybe that's why I enjoyed it more, it had a little more sci-fi in there, was quite humorous, and so many things about it felt like there was a foot in our present world and a foot in a possible future, which is when Black Mirror is best IMHO.

When she started singing her own lyrics I was put off balance at first, because I could have sworn they were Nine Inch Nails lyrics, but a little different - then yep, sure enough, hehe ... so even though it was a different version of it, I am a big NIN fan, so that added something extra as a bonus.

I was a bit unsure about having Miley Cyrus in it, what with certain nonsense in recent years, but she actually showed that with good material and direction she can put out a solid performance ... plus, with links to her own career and life, it probably helped things along a bit.

United States
    My favorite episode of Black Mirror still remains "San Junipero".

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    My favorite episode of Black Mirror still remains "San Junipero".
    Aye, a fan favourite and one of the rare 'happy' episodes (for the most part). It was a really cool idea, too, whereby old folks etc could journey into an idealised version of their youth and be social and enjoy themselves ... I'd legit like to visit San Junipero (if it existed).

It's certainly one of my top episodes, and vying for top spot ... I'm not sure which would win out, really ... I'd put San Junipero on level pegging with "Be Right Back" (2x01), personally.

United States
    “Be Right Back” made me appreciate Peggy Carter that much more. Yowie Wowie!

Super Moderator

UK
    I remember the very first episode "The National Anthem" left me feeling sick and surprisingly shaken. I was so bummed out after that episode that it haunted me throughout the following week. Superb acting in that, as well. Despite all that, though, I knew it was my kinda show (deliciously dark).

Administrator

England
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    EP1 - "Joan is Aweful" - Nice start
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    EP1 - "Joan is Aweful" - Nice start
    Been away, but back now and having to start getting caught up on everything that suddenly decided to show up just at the moment I go away for a week (I mean, Netflix seems to have a habit of being barren for weeks at a time, then all of a sudden three things show up in the same week when you're already trying to watch two other things) ... so anyway, got started on the new season today - only seen the first episode, but aye, a really good ep. Had plenty of stuff going on, lots of layers. It's partly a commentary on cancel culture/public shaming, but then also adds in further ideas to keep spinning it into a more and more complex story. Very much enjoyed it, so hopefully this is a good indicator of the other four episodes - if so, then it'd show how having a few years away has helped some new and relevant ideas to be toyed with.

This ep even got a few big laughs out of me, too, so another plus.

Administrator

England
    The third episode is interesting but seemed very over long...
    -Carl Sagan