Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Black Mirror (Netflix series)

Super Moderator

UK

Black Mirror (Netflix series)

So, what did folks think of the fourth series of Black Mirror?

I'm not sure what my favourite episode would be, although the least of the six was "Metalhead" IMHO. It was generally decent and didn't overstay its welcome, but I didn't really see what the point of it all was beyond a basic game of cat and mouse, and the final shot left me thinking "eh?"

Otherwise some really good ideas with a nice range of tones and outcomes.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    So, what did folks think of the fourth series of Black Mirror?

I'm not sure what my favourite episode would be, although the least of the six was "Metalhead" IMHO. It was generally decent and didn't overstay its welcome, but I didn't really see what the point of it all was beyond a basic game of cat and mouse, and the final shot left me thinking "eh?"

Otherwise some really good ideas with a nice range of tones and outcomes.
    On my list of things to watch!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    On my list of things to watch!
    I just finished bingeing it over four days. Good thing about it being just six episodes, you can usually crack off one or two per day in the telly lull post-Xmas.

Only one iffy episode, and even that iffy episode was better than the one iffy episode that Series 3 had (do you remember that weird one that seemed to be like a comment on xenophobia, about some military guys in a sort of abandoned city or something? That one was a bit shit, to be honest, but the one iffy ep from Series 4 was loads better by comparison).

Some really strong stories this series with intriguing 'techy set ups' with lots of "what if" exploration and occasional stings in the tail. Most of the time you can't really tell where it's going to end up, or you can only guess so far, which is quite impressive from a screenwriting perspective.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I agree that metalhead was the weak link of this new season, but even still....A weak episode of BM is still better than a lot of TV these days.

This show quickly became one of my favorites. My favorite show of all time is The Twilight Zone and this one definitely feels like a relative to TZ. In fact, it gives me some hope that the new version of TZ that Jordan Peele is creating actually CAN be good.

It's a tough decision, but out of season four I think my favorite episode would either be USS Calister(I'm a fan of Tar Trek too, so I'm sure that factors in) or Black Museum. Can't wait for the next season!

Super Moderator

UK
    Aye, I'm not sure which I'd pick as my favourite from this fourth series ... I'd probably lean most towards USS Callister, or Black Museum, but Arkangel had fascinating ramifications/temptations related to its technology and was very grounded in a simple human relationship with a lot of background shading done very deftly, while Crocodile was exceedingly dark by the end and it was really interesting to see how a simple case of 'wrong place, wrong time' can collide with an entirely different plotline in an exceedingly dark way, and "Hang the DJ" was one of the lighter tone episodes, but again I really got into it.

One of Black Mirror's strengths is that it can change everything from episode to episode, but you very quickly get on board and become just as invested in this new episode as you'd become with the previous episode.

So yeah, probably a toss up between USS Callister and Black Museum for the 'over all', but it was such a strong fourth series that it's very hard to choose.

Ireland
    Wasn't able to really get into this show, despite being a fan of Charlie Brooker and sharing his sense of humour. I got as far as the one with Domhnall Gleeson and left it at that a couple of years ago. His _Wipe stuff is great and it's a pity there was no 2017 this year.

I have all the 'Black Mirror' episodes floating around, so i'll probably get around to looking at some more at some stage. But, at present, I'm still not feeling the urge.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Wasn't able to really get into this show, despite being a fan of Charlie Brooker and sharing his sense of humour. I got as far as the one with Domhnall Gleeson and left it at that a couple of years ago.
    Huh...

The first episode of series 2 (that one with Domhnall Gleeson) is one of my favourites and one of the series' best. The first series was a bit wobbly (mainly because of the, IIRC, second episode which was about some weird future with everyone riding on stationary bikes for digital coin or some bollocks), although the first and third episodes were solid (and, well, the first was extremely disturbing in a 'burned into your brain' kind of way). The second series upped the quality and had no weak links. Then there was the Xmas Special, which was deliciously dark as well, and then it's been six episodes a piece for series 3 and 4.

With every episode being something new you might find something in it in time ... or do you just generally not like the vibe of it?

Bassman - while I've not really watched Twilight Zone, I understand it enough to likewise understand your comparison between it and Black Mirror. The twisty nature of it etc.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    MZ, pm me your address and I'll personally mail you the complete Twilight Zone Blu Ray collection. I'm that confident you'll fall in love with it.

I often hear a lot of criticism about Black Mirror being too dark of a series, but I personally don't see it that way. Just your basic good vs evil, light vs dark storytelling. San Junipero in season three is one of the most uplifting episodes of any TV series ever. I've watched that episode many times and still love the good vibes it gives the viewer. And it's impossible not to have "Heaven is a Place on Earth" stuck in your head for at least a day after, if not longer. Ha

Ireland
    Can't believe that anybody on this site hasn't seen 'The Twilight Zone'.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Rising

United States
    Maybe someone who has been living inside a cave for the last 50+ years! One might understand someone not having seen Rod Serling's Night Gallery, which was a lesser-known anthology show (which gravitated towards horror stories, rather than science fiction & fantasy), or even the 80s The Twilight Zone "revival" show, but the original Twilight Zone???

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I'm sure MZ is meaning a more proper episode-to-episode viewing of the series as an adult. It's very likely impossible for anyone to have grown up with televisions in their life and not seen various syndication runs of TZ.

I was actually just now reading an article with Mirror's creator Charlie Brooker and he says that USS Calister is just as a much influenced by Twilight Zone as it is Star Trek. In particular the classic episode "It's a Good Life", in which the young boy has the powers to control his family and wish them "to the cornfield" if they disobey. The episode was also adapted for the TZ movie. I didn't even pick up on that influence until reading the article, but now it's so obvious I can't believe I missed it....

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I often hear a lot of criticism about Black Mirror being too dark of a series, but I personally don't see it that way. Just your basic good vs evil, light vs dark storytelling. San Junipero in season three is one of the most uplifting episodes of any TV series ever. I've watched that episode many times and still love the good vibes it gives the viewer. And it's impossible not to have "Heaven is a Place on Earth" stuck in your head for at least a day after, if not longer. Ha
    San Junipero is one of my favourites, too. I thought it was a pretty damn rad episode and that'd be a hella cool way to spend your old age if you ended up in a home, rather than just lounging about you could relive your glory days (or a version of how you wanted said glory days to be, anyway), and then go on to live a digital afterlife. It was actually kinda cool.

Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I'm sure MZ is meaning a more proper episode-to-episode viewing of the series as an adult. It's very likely impossible for anyone to have grown up with televisions in their life and not seen various syndication runs of TZ.
    I don't recall having seen any actual episode of TZ, but I've been aware of the show for a very long time either through clips of it or references to it in other shows/media (e.g. "Night Springs" in the videogame Alan Wake, innumerable episodes of The Simpsons, "The Scary Door" in Futurama, etc etc etc).

It's just one of those things that I haven't got around to yet, especially with so many other things to watch still on the list (I'm currently making my way through "Feud: Bette and Joan" - an 8-part miniseries about the filming of Whatever Happened To Baby Jane, and it's excellent so far, well worth checking out).

I'll get around to TZ one of these days, I promise, guys.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Anyone else given the new season a spin? It’s short with only three episodes, but they’re practically feature length films. The Miley Cyrus episode is probably the weakest while still enjoyable, but I loved the others. Especially “Smithereens”.

Super Moderator

UK
    I'm yet to see the Miley Cyrus episode, but I've watched the other two and thoroughly enjoyed them both. I think the videogame one was the better of the two I've seen from this season. Taking an everyday issue, but twisting it through the realm of technology and the dark viewpoint of Black Mirror, made for a fascinating watch.

United States
    “Smithereens” was dope while “Striking Vipers” was very fascinating. “Rachel, Jack, and Ashley too” was kinda disappointing. As usual for Black Mirror, the performances and cinematography were on point for all three. Still a great series.
    Last edited by Moon Knight; 09-Jun-2019 at 02:38 PM. Reason: Roxette was pretty hot, let’s be real.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."