Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TWD 9x06 "Who Are You Now?" episode discussion... **SPOILERS**

Super Moderator

UK

TWD 9x06 "Who Are You Now?" episode discussion... **SPOILERS**

Please keep all talk of episode 9x06 "Who Are You Now?" specifically inside this thread.

If you have a theory for a following episode, please use the "spoiler tags" (visit the HPOTD FAQ to find out how to use them if you don't already know).

Similarly, if you're going to discuss plot points from the comic book, please use "spoiler tags" - not everyone is up-to-date on them, and some people don't read them at all.

Enjoy!

Directed by: Larry Teng
    Written by: Eddie Guzelian

The Survivors encounter unfamiliar faces outside the safety of their community's walls and must decide whether or not this new group can be trusted.

United States
    Really looking forward to this next phase of the series. Gonna be interesting

Administrator

England
    This will be interesting... Hope it works.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    New people. I like new people.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    New people. I like new people.
    As long as they're well written and performed, and have good stories to play with, then aye ... and as long as they don't take too much time away from those we know and love as existing characters. Newbies have to earn their stripes, as-it-were.

But yep, it's going to be interesting and exciting to see where the show goes from here. I'm nervous to see how it works without Rick, but with how well the show has been going since Kang took over I'm also quite excited, especially with a six year time jump written in.

United States
    Really enjoyed that.

Michonne has reverted to comic Michonne during the prison era, minus the creepy sexual stuff.

They picked a good child actress for Judith. What a relief.

LOVED the opening.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Super Moderator

UK
    Yep, another really good episode - and another instance in which a problem presented itself (the ragtag gang of ex-Saviours) and was promptly dealt with (merciless Carol brings back her 'burn them alive' tactic from Season 5).

I had a feeling there'd be a little Rick/Michonne kid running around and sure enough - really glad to have that, and all the stuff with Judith and Michonne was handled well. They got the balance right, whereby a lot of time has passed for them and how that grief lingers (for Michonne) or how that time wears down memories (for Judith), but it was also good for us as viewers as we've only just 'lost' Rick, as-it-were, so we as viewers have been given a bit of time to deal with it in amongst all this.

Father Gabriel's doing the rounds, ain't he? Sauncy bugger. I was a smidge surprised by that, but in some ways Eugene's affection for Rosita being unrequited feels more realistic compared to their actual relationship that came about in the comics.

Good to see Laura on the council (Neck Tattoo lady) as it speaks to the reconciliation that Rick was talking about, but then we saw one of the other former lieutenants (the one with the hair that's high on the top, tight on the sides) - who seemed to be a possibly converted character post-AOW - who had reverted. So there's an interesting mix going on there.

Seems as if Daryl has been off in the wilderness for a while, although I'm not sure how long - has he really been off on his own for six years, or has he been coming and going? I guess we'll find out, but he did walk off into the wilderness after the apparent death of Rick that he witnessed.

The new group is interesting. More names to learn, mind you, hehe. So many names! But anyway - another really good episode with lots to unpack, so another three course meal from Kang & Co. Yum!

United States
    I must say, my favorite scene had to be with Judith and Negan. “Numbers don’t lie” Lol the young actor did a good job and JDM was charismatic as usual.

Teen Henry wasn’t bad and him taking Carl’s Story makes better sense now. Couldn’t see it with the little brother.

Gabriel got a piece of some loving from my girl, I’m concerned haha.

Super Moderator

UK
    I must say, my favorite scene had to be with Judith and Negan. “Numbers don’t lie” Lol the young actor did a good job and JDM was charismatic as usual.

Teen Henry wasn’t bad and him taking Carl’s Story makes better sense now. Couldn’t see it with the little brother.

Gabriel got a piece of some loving from my girl, I’m concerned haha.
    haha, you've got some competition, Moon ... Gabriel and now Eugene.

Being that Gabriel has got his groove on with Anne and now Rosita, I wonder if he was doing the nasty at some point with the church lady from his church (the one with the glasses, Anne drew a picture of her a few episodes ago).

Another little thing I liked in this - Eugene killin' walkers. Dude just confidently took out a handful of them no problem, so it's good to see some survivor growth from him.

Agreed on the Judith/Negan scene, I really enjoyed that, and her snappy comeback made me chuckle.

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    haha, you've got some competition, Moon ... Gabriel and now Eugene.

Being that Gabriel has got his groove on with Anne and now Rosita, I wonder if he was doing the nasty at some point with the church lady from his church (the one with the glasses, Anne drew a picture of her a few episodes ago).

Another little thing I liked in this - Eugene killin' walkers. Dude just confidently took out a handful of them no problem, so it's good to see some survivor growth from him.

Agreed on the Judith/Negan scene, I really enjoyed that, and her snappy comeback made me chuckle.
    She's Shane's Daughter alright!!

Really enjoyable episode and felt like a fresh start. This season is shaping up to be one of the best yet, with Angela Kang smashing it. Great to see Michonne step into Rick's shoes too. I can't see any way Rick can ever be written back in now, unless he is imprisoned I don't buy he wouldn't find his way back. He knows where DC is after all.

Theory I have is that Rick Jnr is in Michonnes imagination possibly that's who she was talking to when Judith saw her, we didn't see RJ interact with anyone else so I think he isn't real.

Also the X scar, what's the deal?
    Last edited by DayoftheZ; 13-Nov-2018 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Spelling

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DayoftheZ View Post
    She's Shane's Daughter alright!!

Really enjoyable episode and felt like a fresh start. This season is shaping up to be one of the best yet, with Angela Kang smashing it. Great to see Michonne step into Rick's shoes too. I can't see any way Rick can ever be written back in now, unless he is imprisoned I don't buy he wouldn't find his way back. He knows where DC is after all.

Theory I have is that Rick Jnr is in Michonnes imagination possibly that's who she was talking to when Judith saw her, we didn't see RJ interact with anyone else so I think he isn't real.

Also the X scar, what's the deal?
    Magna saw Michonne and RJ together. That’s why she decided to hand over her knife.

I believe the scar is remixed from another character from the comic. We’ll find out about it I’m sure, the camera made sure we saw it.

Super Moderator

UK
    Magna saw Michonne and RJ together. That’s why she decided to hand over her knife.

I believe the scar is remixed from another character from the comic. We’ll find out about it I’m sure, the camera made sure we saw it.
    Yeah, lots of mentions of 'what happened before' and that clear look at that particular scar would suggest to me we'll get some kind of flashback episode or something like that ... but then again, might Kang leave it as a mystery? It's too juicy to leave unexplored, surely? Hmmm...

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Yeah, lots of mentions of 'what happened before' and that clear look at that particular scar would suggest to me we'll get some kind of flashback episode or something like that ... but then again, might Kang leave it as a mystery? It's too juicy to leave unexplored, surely? Hmmm...
    She has already said we will find out.

I think you’re right about a flashback episode. I have a feeling “the day” everyone is talking about wasn’t Rick “dying”.

Administrator

England
    Well... That was a good episode...

And talking zombies? WTF?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Well... That was a good episode...

And talking zombies? WTF?
    You don't read the comic do you?

On this episode, not that pushed TBH. Plus, we're getting into one of the stupidest parts of the comic storyline too. So, I can't say I'm too enthused about where the series is going in the immediate future. I was hoping they might have avoided what's going to happen.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....