Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: John A. Russo's original Return Script?

  1. #1
    Fresh Meat
    Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Cheshire
    Age
    21
    Posts
    10
    England

    John A. Russo's original Return Script?

    Does anyone know if Russo's original script for Return of the Living Dead is available online anywhere? I'd be interested to see how different it is from O'Bannon's final script. Obviously it'd be closer to the original than the movie that actually came out.

    (Apologies if this question has been asked before)

  2. #2
    Webmaster Neil's Avatar
    Administrator

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    nr London
    Posts
    14,284
    England
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricFire169 View Post
    Does anyone know if Russo's original script for Return of the Living Dead is available online anywhere? I'd be interested to see how different it is from O'Bannon's final script. Obviously it'd be closer to the original than the movie that actually came out.

    (Apologies if this question has been asked before)
    I don't think there was a script? Surely it was a book?

    eg: - http://memorabilia.homepageofthedead.com/?id=315
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

  3. #3
    Fresh Meat
    Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Cheshire
    Age
    21
    Posts
    10
    England
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    I don't think there was a script? Surely it was a book?

    eg: - http://memorabilia.homepageofthedead.com/?id=315
    No I read he did write a script based on the book, but when O'Bannon was signed on he wrote his own script and that was the script that was produced and that's what you see in the finished film.
    Last edited by ElectricFire169; 1 Week Ago at 05:34 PM. Reason: Extended my reply slightly

  4. #4
    Webmaster Neil's Avatar
    Administrator

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    nr London
    Posts
    14,284
    England
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricFire169 View Post
    No I read he did write a script based on the book, but when O'Bannon was signed on he wrote his own script and that was the script that was produced and that's what you see in the finished film.
    Ohh! My bad! I see what you mean now!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

  5. #5
    Fresh Meat
    Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Cheshire
    Age
    21
    Posts
    10
    England
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Ohh! My bad! I see what you mean now!
    xD no harm done

  6. #6
    Zombie Flesh Eater EvilNed's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    5,470
    Undisclosed
    I'd love to read it too.
    Apparently, Children of the Living Dead is a sequel to Russo's original Return of the Living Dead story (the novel).

    Might indicate how bad it is...

    "I worked in a factory owned by Germans, at coal pits owned by Frenchmen, and at a chemical plant owned by Belgians. There I discovered something about capitalists. They are all alike, whatever the nationality. All they wanted from me was the most work for the least money that kept me alive. So I became a Communist." - Ники́та Серге́евич Хрущёв

    "Thanks for Playa Girón. Before the invasion, the revolution was weak. Now it's stronger than ever". - Che Guevara

  7. #7
    Fresh Meat
    Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Cheshire
    Age
    21
    Posts
    10
    England
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    I'd love to read it too.
    Apparently, Children of the Living Dead is a sequel to Russo's original Return of the Living Dead story (the novel).

    Might indicate how bad it is...
    I wouldn't pin Children on Russo. The 30th Anniversary edition of NOTLD, sure. But Children I wouldn't say that Russo was totally to blame for that one.

  8. #8
    Zombie Flesh Eater EvilNed's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    5,470
    Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricFire169 View Post
    I wouldn't pin Children on Russo. The 30th Anniversary edition of NOTLD, sure. But Children I wouldn't say that Russo was totally to blame for that one.
    Perhaps not the quality of the filmmaking, but the plot was his. At least I think it was...

    "I worked in a factory owned by Germans, at coal pits owned by Frenchmen, and at a chemical plant owned by Belgians. There I discovered something about capitalists. They are all alike, whatever the nationality. All they wanted from me was the most work for the least money that kept me alive. So I became a Communist." - Ники́та Серге́евич Хрущёв

    "Thanks for Playa Girón. Before the invasion, the revolution was weak. Now it's stronger than ever". - Che Guevara

  9. #9
    Fresh Meat
    Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Cheshire
    Age
    21
    Posts
    10
    England
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    Perhaps not the quality of the filmmaking, but the plot was his. At least I think it was...
    I hope the atrocious dialogue at least wasn't his.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •