Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112
Results 166 to 175 of 175

Thread: So which Night film is canon to George's series, original or remake?

  1. #166
    Zombie Flesh Eater EvilNed's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    5,520
    Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    No, that's our point, not yours.
    Exactly. It IS your point.
    Your point is that only explicit references mater. All other's are irrelevant. You've said this several times. Which means that on some level, you actually believe that it is possible that Night takes place after Day.
    Last edited by EvilNed; 2 Days Ago at 09:01 PM. Reason: fdsfds

  2. #167
    Chasing Prey shootemindehead's Avatar
    Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    3,193
    Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    As for money - there's a bunch of other pockets of humanity spread out, which Kaufman helped set up (he's planning to escape to one of them in his limo when the shit goes down) - so the money would be good there, too (which will be the practical reason why Kaufman's bags are stuffed full o'cash and nothing else).
    Sure, but we don't know if any of those are still going. There doesn't seem to be an communication going on between Pittsburg and anywhere else. There's a line about a "Cleveland outpost", but they haven't head from them in some time.

    TBH, I don't really think George gave that much thought to it.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

  3. #168
    Dead
    Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    590
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    Exactly. It IS your point.
    Your point is that only explicit references mater. All other's are irrelevant. You've said this several times. Which means that on some level, you actually believe that it is possible that Night takes place after Day.
    Explicit references WHERE THEY ARE NEEDED, not where self-explanatory/evident things are concerned, like the obvious progression of time and chronological order, such as: people not knowing about something must by force precede people knowing about that same something. THIS IS VERY SELF-EXPLANATORY/EVIDENT, NEEDS NO EXPLANATION WHATSOEVER!!! How many times does this have to be pointed out??? It's like demanding "explanations" as to why people in the movies die when they get shot through the heart or the head: NEEDS NO EXPLANATION, IT'S SELF-EXPLANATORY/EVIDENT since that's what also happens to people in real life. So it is you, and only you, no one else, who for some bizarre reason thinks that a filmmaker needs to clarify and be explicit about something so obvious and self-explanatory/evident that requires no further details to be readily understood.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Sure, but we don't know if any of those are still going. There doesn't seem to be an communication going on between Pittsburg and anywhere else. There's a line about a "Cleveland outpost", but they haven't head from them in some time.

    TBH, I don't really think George gave that much thought to it.
    The Cleveland outpost must be independent from Kaufman and set up and run by other survivors, otherwise Foxy and Cholo could not have escaped Kaufman's "justice" by going there. As I pointed out before, the lack of interest in other survivors by the people in Kaufman's city is self-evident by how casually they talk about other such places. They haven't heard from other survivors in a while and only seem to care about such things when someone from Kaufman's city needs to flee to somewhere else out of Kaufman's reach. These people do not care much about other survivors, they have their hands full with all the survivors they already have in their own city.

    But Kaufman and his associates evidently have also set up other places which they do control and which they intend to use in case of an emergency, that's where Kaufman was heading when he attempted to flee his city.
    Last edited by JDP; 2 Days Ago at 01:03 PM. Reason: ;

  4. #169
    Zombie Flesh Eater EvilNed's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    5,520
    Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    Explicit references WHERE THEY ARE NEEDED
    They are not needed in Land, since it is self-evident that it takes place after Day. So why are you contradicting yourself?
    You say a strong implication is not enough proof to warrant an assumption that Land takes place after Day,
    yet you are unwilling to admit that such a case should then be needed in Night - after all it is as self-evident that Night takes place prior to Day as it is that Land takes place after it. So which way is it? Does exposition count or doesn't it?

  5. #170
    Rising Moon Knight's Avatar
    Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    1,201
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    So does Romero.
    Exactly, Romero himself had confirmed this. I'm convinced JDP just likes arguing with people, haha.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

  6. #171
    Dead
    Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    590
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    They are not needed in Land, since it is self-evident that it takes place after Day. So why are you contradicting yourself?
    You say a strong implication is not enough proof to warrant an assumption that Land takes place after Day,
    yet you are unwilling to admit that such a case should then be needed in Night - after all it is as self-evident that Night takes place prior to Day as it is that Land takes place after it. So which way is it? Does exposition count or doesn't it?
    They are as much needed in Land as they were in Dawn or Day, but Romero did not provide an explicit reference in Land or Day regarding when did the zombie crisis start, all we get are vague statements that do not specifically refer to the zombies, so there is no "contradiction" except in your mind. The self-evidence in Night is not a comparable situation. No one in his right mind will misunderstand something as obvious as people not knowing anything about and being caught by surprise by a particular event and then in all the sequels everyone knowing very well about and not being surprised by that same event. The chronological order here is self-explanatory/evident. That means: IT NEEDS NO EXPLANATION WHATSOEVER, unlike the issue of when Dawn, Land and Day are exactly happening with respect to that self-evident/explanatory first movie in the series. The only one of the sequels that clarified this without any possible other interpretation was Dawn: when the movie starts, it's been three weeks since those events in the first movie. No questions about it. The other two sequels lack this precise "dating" so they are totally open to interpretation as to when are they supposedly happening with respect to the self-evident/explanatory first movie.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    Exactly, Romero himself had confirmed this. I'm convinced JDP just likes arguing with people, haha.
    One thing is what Romero might have intended, and another one is how what he actually did comes across to the viewers. If his intention was to make us think that Big Daddy was some sort of "evolution" of Bub, then he did a pretty lousy job at it. All we see Big Daddy do in common with what Bub did is pretty much the same: more or less clumsy attempts at doing things that humans do.
    Last edited by JDP; 18 Hours Ago at 06:30 PM. Reason: ;

  7. #172
    Walking Dead kidgloves's Avatar
    Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    UK
    Age
    47
    Posts
    2,004
    England
    Fight..fight...fight...fight

    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

    MY HOME CINEMA

  8. #173
    Rising Moon Knight's Avatar
    Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    1,201
    United States
    But... Romero did say Big Daddy was in fact a revolution of Bub haha. If you you think it was poor doesn't change the fact it came after Day. I don't know, man, Land of the Dead doesn't look like it took place in the early 80's.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

  9. #174
    Arcade Master Philly_SWAT's Avatar
    Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Posts
    1,954
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    I don't know, man, Land of the Dead doesn't look like it took place in the early 80's.
    Does the original Star Trek series look like it takes place in the 23rd century, or does it look like it takes place in a low budget 1960's? Many times how something looks is unimportant when critiquing a TV show or movie. You have to suspend your disbelief in the practicalities of production just as much as you suspend your disbelief as to the fantastical elements of the work. It you accept that Star Trek takes place in the 23rd century, then you have to accept that the ship and computers were as good as limited budgets and technology at the time would allow, and not ponder why 23rd century technology looks vastly inferior to what is actually here in the early 21st century.

    In real life, has there ever been a mass worldwide zombie outbreak as depicted in Romero's dead movies? No. So obviously (to me anyway) they are not intended to be viewed as some type of historical movie that is set at some point in the past, as the viewer knows that the events in the movies never did in fact happen in the past. Something horrible could happen in the future = scary. Something you know for a fact didn't happen in the past = not scary. Ergo, the timestamp of the dead movies, in my opinion, is as follows:

    1) Night - tomorrow, or some time in the near future
    2) Dawn - three weeks after that
    3) Land - at some indeterminate time after the start of Dawn
    4) Day - at some indeterminate time after the start of Land

    Hairstyles and fashion choices are not meant in anyway to timestamp the movies, they were simply what was popular at the time the various movies were made.
    Last edited by Philly_SWAT; 8 Hours Ago at 04:58 AM. Reason: fix typo

  10. #175
    Zombie Flesh Eater EvilNed's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    5,520
    Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    They are as much needed in Land as they were in Dawn or Day, but Romero did not provide an explicit reference in Land or Day regarding when did the zombie crisis start
    Yes he does. Land takes place 3 years after the outbreak. This is what characters in the film say.
    If you disregard this expositon, that is as absurd as stating that Night could possibly take place after Day - seeing as nothing explicitly stated in either. You have yet to face this argument.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •