Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Criterion Release of Night

England

Criterion Release of Night

Must own

http://m.bluray.highdefdigest.com/53...criterion.html

Edit....
    Purchased. Will be here tomorrow evening.
    Last edited by kidgloves; 27-Feb-2018 at 12:37 AM. Reason: Fg
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Mine is in the mail but don't expect it until Friday.
    Can't wait to see it.

However the inclusion of the Night of Anubis workprint seems pointless. They just changed a few zombie shots for day-for-night equivalents. That's it.

Also considering picking this up;
    https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B01...PNWYJU7H&psc=1

That way I'd have a definite version of both Night and Dawn that can stay with me until the day I die.
    Last edited by EvilNed; 27-Feb-2018 at 07:29 AM. Reason: fdsfsd

Fresh Meat

United States
    Just got mine the other day and it is BEAUTIFUL. Some good extras as well. Best release of the film yet.

England
    Ned...
    Lots of complaints of the encoding on the Argento cut and why have they got remake screenshots?
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Super Moderator

UK
    Still waiting for mine to be dispatched. My last order sat around for four days until I emailed (at which point they gave me free next day delivery) ... hopefully that farce doesn't repeat, but I wouldn't be surprised. Looking forward to seeing the restoration and extras.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    However the inclusion of the Night of Anubis workprint seems pointless. They just changed a few zombie shots for day-for-night equivalents. That's it.
    Yes, and I'm still annoyed that we were told that there was going to be a version with 9 minutes or so of extra footage, and in the end it turned out to be total BS.

Administrator

England
    What happened to the extra footage found set in the basement? Why isn't that starting to pop up as an extra on these re-releases?

Edit: Ninja'd by beat_truck!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    What happened to the extra footage found set in the basement? Why isn't that starting to pop up as an extra on these re-releases?

Edit: Ninja'd by beat_truck!
    I was very interested after all the initial talk about it, then no word about it. So I Google searched everything I could find about it, and basically found "Oops, sorry, it never happened."

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by beat_truck View Post
    I was very interested after all the initial talk about it, then no word about it. So I Google searched everything I could find about it, and basically found "Oops, sorry, it never happened."
    So all of this thread was over a non-thing? - http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/s...ad.php?t=23353
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    So all of this thread was over a non-thing? - http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/s...ad.php?t=23353
    It sure seems to be, according to this http://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3...ead-workprint/ and other things I've read.
    Last edited by beat_truck; 27-Feb-2018 at 03:38 PM. Reason: typo

Super Moderator

UK
    Watched the restoration last night - looks lovely - areas that were previous quite murky have been opened up for clearer viewing (without losing the darkness, if that makes sense?) and the audio track sounds much more distinct now. I'm assuming it's just a clean-up job on the audio and not a recreation as it didn't sound overtly different to me (i.e. not like the new mixes done for the likes of The Terminator or Jaws where you could clearly tell it sounded all wrong with silly new effects put in, ugh ... but fortunately Night still sounds like Night as far as I can tell, but now you just get to hear little bits that were previously hidden in the muddy audio track of old).

Gonna dig into the special features later on - looking forward to that. Lovely artwork on the box, too (although couldn't they have moved the Criterion "C" elsewhere so it's not slapped on top of the "N" from "Night"? ... and what kind of devil created that bizarre disc holder? Is this standard for Criterion? I don't tend to buy their releases as most of the stuff I'm interested in is put out by Arrow or 88 Films).

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Got it yesterday and had the exact same reaction to the disc holder.
    Took me half a minute to figure out how to get the disc loose.

Anyway, looks great. I only watched the opening but yeah, looks fantastic.

Super Moderator

UK
    Got it yesterday and had the exact same reaction to the disc holder.
    Took me half a minute to figure out how to get the disc loose.

Anyway, looks great. I only watched the opening but yeah, looks fantastic.
    It feels kind of fresh, doesn't it? You know, in a good way? Makes it feel even more relevant, still to this day 50 years on.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    It feels kind of fresh, doesn't it? You know, in a good way? Makes it feel even more relevant, still to this day 50 years on.
    Yeah, I get why Criterion are a thing. Feels crisp. Luxurious, somehow. I don't think I'll ever need another version of NOTLD than this. This is it.

Super Moderator

UK
    Yeah, I get why Criterion are a thing. Feels crisp. Luxurious, somehow. I don't think I'll ever need another version of NOTLD than this. This is it.
    Ditto. Now I'd like supreme restorations of Dawn and Day with a boatload of new extras, and particularly with Dawn I'd like to see all versions of the edit restored to full HD glory. At the moment I've got my 4-disc Dawn and my Divimax Day discs as my 'ultimate' copies on DVD, although I believe the audio track for Day has a few oddities to it IIRC.

So nice to have a properly proper version of Night out there, too. My first copy of Night on DVD was bare bones and the music track was some dreadful new music that some chump had slapped on it for some bizarre reason. My second copy of Night on DVD was the UK tin edition that was released many moons ago now, and when I got it home I discovered that four minutes of zombie footage had been cut out! I returned that shit and got my money back. My third copy of Night on DVD was the R1 'Millennium Edition', which was my best copy - until now, anyway.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 02-Mar-2018 at 04:16 PM.