Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TWD 8x10 "The Lost and the Plunderers" episode discussion... **SPOILERS**

United States
    Did everyone including the writers forget that Negan would have killed Carl himself if not for Shiva and everyone else? My only big gripe about Negan and Carl’s tv relationship.

Don’t think they were planning on killing Carl back at that time and was something decided during the break. Still, everything else minus the Oceanside stuff really worked for me.

Simon and Jadis were so good this episode.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Super Moderator

UK
    We could probably do with a bit more backstory on how Negan became Negan - the "Here's Negan" comic explains it quite well to the point that you can see where the 'sense' in his approach came from. It would be good to also see, if such a backstory episode was done, how repeating that behaviour - and various others - warped his original intentions (however spurious they still might have been at the beginning) just to make things match up nicely.

The grenade attack still makes sense because they're now in a war. Negan didn't want war, he wanted submission and adherance to his law, so he was forced into going to war with the other communities - it's a bit like a parent flipping their lid with a child that just won't do what they're told.

I didn't have an issue with the Heapsters handing over their guns, because they were backed into a corner. I think they thought they could get away scot free and this was part of their thinking - handing over their guns without having to fight in this war - but it was a strategic error on their part. Even clever clogs can make errors in their judgement, and the Saviours are known to cut deals as part of their M.O.

Interesting to see Rick finally get sick of Jadis and leave her behind. He'd given her enough chances, so it was good to see him finally say enough was enough, he'd been more than fair with her, he'd given her and the Heapsters more than enough chances.

Administrator

England
    Yes, I'm fully expecting a Negan back story episode... Where's he's like a primary school teacher or something
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Yes, I'm fully expecting a Negan back story episode... Where's he's like a primary school teacher or something
    IIRC he was a youth group leader and/or a P.E. teacher pre-apoc.

United States
    Yep, worked with kids as a P.E. teacher.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Ireland
    Ha ha...fuck you trash heap.

Funny though. I'm not sure whether I like the fact that the Garbage Pail Kids was all just some elaborate performance art project, or not. Happy Jadis survived and dropped her speech facade. Don't know what it is about her that I like, but like her I do.

What was up with the character title cards though? What the hell was that about?
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Ha ha...fuck you trash heap.

Funny though. I'm not sure whether I like the fact that the Garbage Pail Kids was all just some elaborate performance art project, or not. Happy Jadis survived and dropped her speech facade. Don't know what it is about her that I like, but like her I do.

What was up with the character title cards though? What the hell was that about?
    1)

2) Yeah, much prefer Jadis with all the bullshit stripped away, particularly that silly 'minimal speech' stuff.

3) To differentiate points of view in whichever scene we were in - e.g. Simon vs Jadis was very much about what Simon was doing, rather than anyone else. Likewise the earlier scene between Negan and Simon was very much about Negan's grasp on command. I liked it here (where it felt needed, but we naturally wouldn't need it normally), and this episode felt really good because there was plenty going on in different places with different characters - so it was never allowed to feel slow or baggy or dawdling.

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    3) To differentiate points of view in whichever scene we were in - e.g. Simon vs Jadis was very much about what Simon was doing, rather than anyone else. Likewise the earlier scene between Negan and Simon was very much about Negan's grasp on command. I liked it here (where it felt needed, but we naturally wouldn't need it normally), and this episode felt really good because there was plenty going on in different places with different characters - so it was never allowed to feel slow or baggy or dawdling.
    Sure, but it was just completely unnecessary? I don't need to be told which character we're following to know which character we're following.

I just found it really jarring.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....