Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: TWD 8x12 "The Key" episode discussion... **SPOILERS**

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    Shoot.

The Whisperers if done right can be really good. They just don’t slab on some blood and call it a day. They actually wear Walker skins! They actually look like zombies and makes more sense. Give it a chance on the show. They don’t go looking to kill people just to kill people. Rick and company crossed their territory. They can actually be scary. As far as the books, it didn’t really end very well for me. Hoping the show can remedy that.
    Oh, I know Moonie, I just still don't like it.

I just have a real problem with that "get out clause" for the show, if you know what I mean. It just makes the zombies too easy to get around.

Still, if they do appear, we'll see how it goes.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Oh, I know Moonie, I just still don't like it.

I just have a real problem with that "get out clause" for the show, if you know what I mean. It just makes the zombies too easy to get around.

Still, if they do appear, we'll see how it goes.
    At least in this season they've shown that it's not a perfect plan - aside from the obvious thing of it being absolutely disgusting to put guts all over yourself, Father Gabriel's gone and got a major sickness from it. They should have tried to show the 'disgusting' aspect a little bit more in previous instances, but fortunately TWD doesn't use it that often. To be fair, though, when Michonne got covered in walker guts she was reviled by it, and the first instance in 1x02 "Guts" showed Glenn literally throwing up from it being so gross, with everyone else grimacing and reeling.

It's good that on TWD it's only used as a last resort (such as with Negan and Gabriel, or in Season 6 with the invasion of Alexandria). The same cannot be said of Fear The Walking Dead, though, which took the absolute piss with Nick constantly slapping on a bit of walker blood. The dude was covered in gunk so damn often and nobody had any problems with it. While not a perfect 'idea', it's at least employed sparingly and more realistically in TWD proper.

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    At least in this season they've shown that it's not a perfect plan - aside from the obvious thing of it being absolutely disgusting to put guts all over yourself, Father Gabriel's gone and got a major sickness from it. They should have tried to show the 'disgusting' aspect a little bit more in previous instances, but fortunately TWD doesn't use it that often. To be fair, though, when Michonne got covered in walker guts she was reviled by it, and the first instance in 1x02 "Guts" showed Glenn literally throwing up from it being so gross, with everyone else grimacing and reeling.

It's good that on TWD it's only used as a last resort (such as with Negan and Gabriel, or in Season 6 with the invasion of Alexandria). The same cannot be said of Fear The Walking Dead, though, which took the absolute piss with Nick constantly slapping on a bit of walker blood. The dude was covered in gunk so damn often and nobody had any problems with it. While not a perfect 'idea', it's at least employed sparingly and more realistically in TWD proper.
    The operative part of that opening sentence is "At least". It still doesn't salve my absolute hatred for it though. It's as dumb as a brick. Which is why I am loath to see

the whisperers - who not only cover themselves in that shite, but dress up in zombie skins FFS!!!!!!!!

As for FTWD, Nick's nonsense was partly the reason why I stopped watching.

In my opinion, nobody should be doing this shit at all, and nobody should be casually getting covered in zombie blood while hacking them up and not giving a tinkers cuss either. The whole idea of rocking around in that infected gore is absurd.

That shit should be Dangerous, with a capital D, and bolded, and italicised, and underlined. It should have been a constant source of infection throughout the show.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 24-Mar-2018 at 10:58 AM.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

United States
    I also cringe every time they use that stupid "get out of jail free card". That is truly my biggest complaint for both shows. As many times as people have gotten zombie blood and guts into open wounds, eyes, noses, and mouths, I can't believe it has taken the writers this long to bring infection and disease into the story line. I guess most viewers just don't think that far into these things because it has hardly been mentioned until recently.
    Last edited by beat_truck; 24-Mar-2018 at 01:45 AM. Reason: h,jb,k

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    Which sounds ludicrous at this point, since they already had plenty of time before this current situation to move in that direction. The information that Georgie & company are peddling is nothing new and unheard of, it's all based on man's achievements over the past centuries, all of which are well documented in standard books you can find in virtually any library. There is no reason why such things should remain some sort of precious commodity, when accessing them would be so easy. There's not going to be many survivors holing up in libraries, there should be nothing stopping anyone from just raiding one.

Plus the group already had a pretty savvy fellow, Eugene, who could have started moving things in that direction but they did not take more advantage of his talents. It was in fact Negan who saw more potential in Eugene's knowledge, but of course Negan uses it for devious purposes mostly.
    I really don’t think it’s as easy to figure out as you think, especially when you’re more focused on staying alive and not worrying about who will be the next poor bastard to die out there.

Eugene is super smart but it will be really silly if he just figured everything out on his own without any source of information or reference material.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Super Moderator

UK
    I really don’t think it’s as easy to figure out as you think, especially when you’re more focused on staying alive and not worrying about who will be the next poor bastard to die out there.

Eugene is super smart but it will be really silly if he just figured everything out on his own without any source of information or reference material.
    Plus Georgie's done all the legwork and boiled down all the need-to-know how-to info for them. Tear up that library card, Maggie, there's no need for it now!

Seriously, though, when you've got so much survival shit to do, being handed a handy manual telling you exactly what you need in the apocalypse in order to create a new society is a big win.

Rising

United States

They could easily have taken over a library and allowed Eugene and the more intellectually-minded people in the group to take care of the information gathering. They had plenty of man-power and time to do such things. And there would hardly be any resistance from anyone for taking over a library. Most survivors do not see books as a necessary thing to keep on surviving. Virtually all libraries left standing would be free for the taking.

United States
    They could easily have taken over a library and allowed Eugene and the more intellectually-minded people in the group to take care of the information gathering. They had plenty of man-power and time to do such things. And there would hardly be any resistance from anyone for taking over a library. Most survivors do not see books as a necessary thing to keep on surviving. Virtually all libraries left standing would be free for the taking.
    They had survivors camped out at a library and the Saviors killed them all.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Super Moderator

UK
    Most survivors do not see books as a necessary thing to keep on surviving.
    And Team Rick & Co probably had more pressing matters to deal with, as we've seen on numerous occasions in the show. In their downtime they were probably more keen on taking a well-earned breather, or replenishing their food/ammo stocks.

Or, from a more nerdy, fun-sapping technical standpoint, it wasn't part of the story then, but it is now. You can't tell all the story all at once. Life and fiction are two different things when it comes to when/how things happen. In the show you've only got 45 minutes per episode (with a now huge cast) to tell the main stories you're working on.

Now, though, building a new society is on the cards as a main plotline - therefore knowledge is regaining value.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 25-Mar-2018 at 04:24 PM.