Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Night of the Living Dead 1968 "Rescore"

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by beat_truck View Post
    There really isn't much of any extra gore to see, to be honest. A handful of extended gunshot to the head/crow bar to the head shots is about it, equaling all of about 10 seconds. The work print has some different/extended dialog and a slightly different opening, but nothing impressive.

Edit: Here is the added gore. Although I think the scene towards the beginning where Ben puts the crowbar through the zombie's head and it breaks the door glass is a half a second longer, too.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p58GF4Ekov0
    They cut THAT stuff to get an R?
    Except for the head explosion, that's hardly anything excessive.

United States
    i was really hoping for a 20th anniversary release of the 30th anniversary edition of NOTLD...esp w/ the soundtrack on vinyl

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    Yep. Completely ridiculous. The movie was fairly tame even compared to TWD, except for using the F word a few times.

The MPAA obviously had their panties in a major knot at the time.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    I know! A couple of juicy headshots, but not much more than that. The MPAA are weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Monrozombi View Post
    i was really hoping for a 20th anniversary release of the 30th anniversary edition of NOTLD...esp w/ the soundtrack on vinyl

Yep. Completely ridiculous. The movie was fairly tame even compared to TWD, except for using the F word a few times.

The MPAA obviously had their panties in a major knot at the time.
    The MPAA had just come off a decade of slasher movies, to which they regularly whipped out their censorious scissors to hack and slash at the gory bits. Even though Night is a very different type of film, they had it in for horror movies, but considering some of the stuff that did make it through the 80s untouched - e.g. Maniac - it's really surprising that these few snippets had to be hacked out. Perhaps the MPAA's panties were in such a bunch that all the blood had got cut off to their brains?

United States
    "Cooper!, open this door you motherfucker or I'll blow it to shit!"

I think NotLD's score is perfect.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Administrator

England
    I thought NOTLD '90 had a decent score. Not great, but it seemed to fit the movie well.

Ever see the work print version? It had a score that was bits and pieces lifted from other movies like The Evil Dead and Halloween II.
    Yeh, it was OK... Good moments and some less so...

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    If it isn’t broke, don’t fix it. I love it the way it is and hearing anything else in its place just doesn’t work, IMO.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    If it isn’t broke, don’t fix it. I love it the way it is and hearing anything else in its place just doesn’t work, IMO.
    Aye. What would I rather have - the music that Romero himself specifically chose and placed within the movie, or something done by folks not connected to the movie that is more than 10 years askew in terms of tone? No contest. I don't 'get' re-scores at all, personally.

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Aye. What would I rather have - the music that Romero himself specifically chose and placed within the movie, or something done by folks not connected to the movie that is more than 10 years askew in terms of tone? No contest. I don't 'get' re-scores at all, personally.
    There's also the issue that some of the music that Romero chose for Night was from another movie that must have had an influence on some of his ideas for Night: The Killer Shrews. I think the music Romero chose is as integral a part of Night as any other feature of the film, so it should not be tampered with.
    Last edited by JDP; 13-Apr-2018 at 10:31 AM. Reason: ;

United States
    The music used in Night was used in a number of movies. I even remember hearing it in some late '50s western that I watched with my dad years ago. Speaking of The Killer Shrews, I just watched that a few months ago. Pure cinematic cheese, but WAY more enjoyable to me than nearly all the new multi million dollar CGI crap fests.

Rising

United States
    The music used in Night was used in a number of movies. I even remember hearing it in some late '50s western that I watched with my dad years ago. Speaking of The Killer Shrews, I just watched that a few months ago. Pure cinematic cheese, but WAY more enjoyable to me than nearly all the new multi million dollar CGI crap fests.
    So far I can only remember hearing some of those tracks in The Killer Shrews. It would be interesting to know what other movies used it before Romero. I think he likely got the idea of using those tracks from that movie, though, since some things in Night seem inspired by that movie as well.

United States
    Form what I just read on one site, some of the soundtrack is supposed to be used in Teenagers From Outer Space and The Hideous Sun Demon. If one had the time and inclination, they could probably use this http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063350/soundtrack to track down a few other movies it was used in.