Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: FEAR The Walking Dead - Season 4 discussion...

Super Moderator

UK
    4x03 "Good Out Here"

Directed by: Dan Liu
    Written by: Shintaro Shimosawa

Episode 4x02 saw a dip from 4.09m to 3.07m for the live viewing figures, although that's to be expected because of the 'lookie lou' factor, especially as 4x01 was riding straight on the coat tails of TWD's season finale and was placed before Talking Dead. A slightly bigger dip than I was thinking might happen, but we'll see how 4x03 fares compared to 4x02.

England
    Enjoyed EP1, but would have preferred more screen time with the regular cast.
    The de-saturation thing that kicked in after Morgan left the dump was interesting, what with the camcorder screen stilll being in full colour...

It's a shame that Amazon here in the UK are a well & truly behind - EP2 won't be available until next Wednesday... so I guess I'll be reading this thread once the series is over.

The Swat vehicle & camcorder gal reminded me a little bit of Land & Diary...

United States
    I personally like the washed out filter they are using.

- - - Updated - - -

This episode was brilliant. I don’t think anyone saw that coming.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Super Moderator

UK
    Well there goes a big one ... took me by surprise, did that. The actors did a cracking job in that scene, particularly Frank Dillane, so hats off to 'em.

It'll be interesting to see how the flashbacks are affected in terms of tension/suspense/etc now that we now what ultimately happens to a couple of key players. There's still some mystery (i.e. Madison, "The Diamond" compound), but hopefully the flashbacks don't falter from 'prequelitis'.

Solid story and I liked the mixing together of flashbacks and present day stuff (now the incredibly desaturated look makes more sense as a way of visually distinguishing past and present in a very simple and recognisible manner).

I'm definitely enjoying Season 4 a shedload more than Seasons 2 and 3.

Rising

United States
    WTF??? They killed Nick!!! And it's not even the season finale.

As predicted: they are going to stretch the "flashbacks" for quite a bit.

Super Moderator

UK
    I'm hoping that the 'past/present' structure will help cover any sense of it feeling dragged out, you know, help the pacing feel a bit brisker than you might have otherwise had. Fingers crossed. I reckon we've had a solid first three episodes to this season.

United States
    You can just feel the difference compared to prior seasons. As a fan of Lost I don’t mind the flashbacks if done right and this episode proves it can work.

I won’t lie, I was prepared for Madison’s death at the end but switching it up and killing Nick was a real gut punch. Loved how they handled his death.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    You can just feel the difference compared to prior seasons. As a fan of Lost I don’t mind the flashbacks if done right and this episode proves it can work.

I won’t lie, I was prepared for Madison’s death at the end but switching it up and killing Nick was a real gut punch. Loved how they handled his death.
    Great episode, however, Madison is kidnapped by that flag group and that’s why Strand and Alicia want to be taken to that group. My feeling anyway that she’s not dead.
    I hope they don’t blow it this season because I’m enjoying the hell out of it

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Harleydude666 View Post
    Great episode, however, Madison is kidnapped by that flag group and that’s why Strand and Alicia want to be taken to that group. My feeling anyway that she’s not dead.
    I hope they don’t blow it this season because I’m enjoying the hell out of it
    Yeah, I can see that. I for one hope Madison isn’t dead. So far this season is so damn good.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post

Fingers crossed for Madison, as I've said before she's as important to FearTWD as Rick Grimes is to TWD. She's our core character, our guide.

The kidnap theory makes sense.

I really don't like that little girl, haha. What is it with this world and young girls murderin' up a storm?

Moon - like you I'm a fan of Lost and the flashbacks/flash forwards/flash sideways were integral to that show's structure, but it also helped with the pacing as you had parallel stories running but they were in different locations and times so you rarely ever felt trapped in one place or time. Lost's only real pacing issues were in the first three seasons because they had too many damn episodes, so you did end up with some filler (e.g. the episode where some of the gang manage to kickstart an old VW van).

Anyway, back to FearTWD ... Dillane's performance in his death scene was excellent. Felt quite visceral and tangible - as if he really did had a bullet lodged in him and his body was shutting down - made the character's death all the more powerful. They squandered the character in season 3 (and made him make some very dodgy decisions at times), but at least they brought him back up to par for season 4.

United States
    Nick’s character was kinda weakened once they had him leave his family behind. I kinda liked him in season 3 when they grounded him a bit. Always hated how he would just walk around with the walkers by just smearing a little blood on his face. Luci always did it too and now she doesn’t do it all. Little bit of a plot hole but I don’t care, I hated that. Glad they realized the mistake.

His acting was perfect in that end scene I agree. I actually got choked up a bit only because of the story they told prior in the episode. His scenes with Madison and Morgan were really strong.

I don’t care for the little girl either haha. You think his sister noticed who it was that shot him?

Super Moderator

UK
    4x04 "Buried"

Directed by: Magnus Martens
    Written by: Alex Delyle

Al's questioning uncovers some surprising truths about the group's past; John Dorie receives unexpected news.

Live viewing figures for FTWD 4x03 were 2.71 million.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 11-May-2018 at 10:02 AM.

Rising

United States
    Did my eyes deceive me or a couple of the zombies that Alicia and Naomi/Laura killed at the swimming pool just "disappear"??? I can't see their corpses anywhere when we see the from-above point of view of the pool. I thought about them maybe "sinking" out of view, but the water appears to have been transparent enough for the corpses to at least still be vaguely visible at the bottom.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    Did my eyes deceive me or a couple of the zombies that Alicia and Naomi/Laura killed at the swimming pool just "disappear"??? I can't see their corpses anywhere when we see the from-above point of view of the pool. I thought about them maybe "sinking" out of view, but the water appears to have been transparent enough for the corpses to at least still be vaguely visible at the bottom.
    Check again - two walker bodies are floating to the left of frame as the gals climb up the slide with the surviving walkers clustered at the mouth of the slide.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Check again - two walker bodies are floating to the left of frame as the gals climb up the slide with the surviving walkers clustered at the mouth of the slide.
    Was about to post the same thing haha.

I really did like how they put this episode together.