Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: FEAR The Walking Dead - Season 4 discussion...

Super Moderator

UK
    I am concerned by the sapping of tension from flashback scenes because we know the fate of a character/characters. We now know how Nick dies, so therefore we know he's not gonna die in any flashback scene. Similarly, it seems that Naomi is dead ... but I'm wondering if that's just what they think rather than what they know?

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Check again - two walker bodies are floating to the left of frame as the gals climb up the slide with the surviving walkers clustered at the mouth of the slide.
    They killed 3 zombies in the pool. I took a closer look and was able to spot one of the apparently "missing" ones: he is floating sideways right next to the more clearly visible one that is floating face-up. But where is the third one? If he sunk to the bottom we still should be able to see its silhouette since we can see some other objects at the bottom of the pool as well, the water is not dirty enough to avoid seeing objects at the bottom.

- - - Updated - - -

I am concerned by the sapping of tension from flashback scenes because we know the fate of a character/characters. We now know how Nick dies, so therefore we know he's not gonna die in any flashback scene. Similarly, it seems that Naomi is dead ... but I'm wondering if that's just what they think rather than what they know?
    They also seem to be "forgetting" to let us know how exactly they got from that whole mess at the dam in Mexico to the baseball stadium in Texas. They seem to be concentrating on flashbacks regarding these "vulture" guys and their "siege" while not giving enough background info as to what happened before that.

United States
    That’s because that story isn’t relevant with this current situation. They timed jumped over a year, no reason to bring up events that happened so long ago until the time is right. For me personally it gives me something to look forward to as I enjoy the current story.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    They killed 3 zombies in the pool. I took a closer look and was able to spot one of the apparently "missing" ones: he is floating sideways right next to the more clearly visible one that is floating face-up. But where is the third one? If he sunk to the bottom we still should be able to see its silhouette since we can see some other objects at the bottom of the pool as well, the water is not dirty enough to avoid seeing objects at the bottom.
    In their reality the third walker corpse will be under the feet of the walkers as the third kill takes place very close to the mouth of the water slide, while the other two took place further away and (specifically in the case of the first kill) the body is tossed aside in the direction where the two floaters end up in the aerial shot. Or, it's floating, but kind of bunched up between the rabble of walkers and the wall of the pool (e.g. just beneath the lip of the water slide and hidden from view).

In our reality it'd be inadvisable to have a large obstruction beneath the feet of stunt performers in a body of water. Or perhaps they didn't have a third 'fake body' that was dressed-to-match lying around to bung in the pool.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 09-May-2018 at 09:43 AM.

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    That’s because that story isn’t relevant with this current situation. They timed jumped over a year, no reason to bring up events that happened so long ago until the time is right. For me personally it gives me something to look forward to as I enjoy the current story.
    It should be relevant at this point how they got there in the first place. For example, it would clarify why Nick has acquired some sort of phobia for going "out there" and instead spends most of his time at the stadium, when previous to that he was quite daring and would not be afraid of venturing into the wastelands even all by himself. I don't see much point in telling that story later, after all is said and done that led to his death due to this "vulture" gang.
    Last edited by JDP; 10-May-2018 at 12:12 AM. Reason: ;

United States
    It should be relevant at this point how they got there in the first place. For example, it would clarify why Nick has acquired some sort of phobia for going "out there" and instead spends most of his time at the stadium, when previous to that he was quite daring and would not be afraid of venturing into the wastelands even all by himself. I don't see much point in telling that story later, after all is said and done that led to his death due to this "vulture" gang.
    They already told us why he stopped going out.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Super Moderator

UK
    Aye, I recall in the episode in which the character dies he was talking about it - essentially coming down to what the world out there does to you, what you have to be in order to survive it etc. He much preferred being on the inside of the walls where he didn't need to do any of those things.

United States
    Aye, I recall in the episode in which the character dies he was talking about it - essentially coming down to what the world out there does to you, what you have to be in order to survive it etc. He much preferred being on the inside of the walls where he didn't need to do any of those things.
    Absolutely correct. Also, bro, you have the best profile picture selections lol.

Rising

United States
    That was hardly an "explanation", specially not for such a character. We have seen him endure all sorts of dangers and hardships before, and that did not have some deep impact on him that would change his manner of being, he kept on going through dangerous situations nonetheless. So we must assume that something really different happened to him this time, after the whole dam incident, than just the "typical" dangers he has already faced numerous times and did not change his manner of being. So what was it? What turned this well-seasoned tough survivor into a sort of "wimp" who would rather not be "out there" anymore??? Needs explanation. A real one.

United States
    That was hardly an "explanation", specially not for such a character. We have seen him endure all sorts of dangers and hardships before, and that did not have some deep impact on him that would change his manner of being, he kept on going through dangerous situations nonetheless. So we must assume that something really different happened to him this time, after the whole dam incident, than just the "typical" dangers he has already faced numerous times and did not change his manner of being. So what was it? What turned this well-seasoned tough survivor into a sort of "wimp" who would rather not be "out there" anymore??? Needs explanation. A real one.
    It really doesn't. We don't have to see him developing a fear of the outside world when the narrative made it easy to understand by using Morgan and Madison to move that story line beat. They told us what was up with Nick and kept it moving.

Super Moderator

UK
    Absolutely correct. Also, bro, you have the best profile picture selections lol.
    Thanks, bud.

It really doesn't. We don't have to see him developing a fear of the outside world when the narrative made it easy to understand by using Morgan and Madison to move that story line beat. They told us what was up with Nick and kept it moving.
    I'm glad that we didn't have to sit through all of that, because we already know where it ends up, and we've seen various things throughout the first three seasons to know why Nick would develop to a point where he doesn't want to go outside the walls any more ... especially as we've seen what the outside world in the ZA does to various people across both shows. It'd end up being filler, to be honest - best to cut to the chase and the part that provided something a bit fresher to work with.

The then/now structure is helping to keep the overall pace up, but I'm still concerned about tension being sapped by us knowing what ultimately happens to someone now when we're seeing them then.

I notice that they're trying out new names in the director's and writer's chairs with this season to accompany some familiar names. Good to see, and it offers a 'training ground' opportunity to maybe bring the cream of the crop over to TWD.

Live airing figures were 2.49m, btw.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 11-May-2018 at 10:04 AM.

United States
    I agree absolutely. That’s what I was trying to say. We always complain how TWD usually drags out storylines only for a shitty payoff like Aaron and Oceanside last season. Cut the fat, twice short twice strong.

I also agree on some of the tension being kinda watered down due to the structure but so far so good. It’s still early, let’s see how they do. Fingers crossed.

Rising

United States
    This was not some secondary character, where you can more easily brush aside any changes in his behavior. Plenty of time was invested in showing us what he is like. This guy was afraid of practically nothing and would do things that most of the other characters would not have the guts of doing. But now skip sometime after the dam incident, and we find a mysteriously "wimpified" version of the character with no satisfactory explanation at all as to what brought about this drastic change. His comments about what being "out there" does to you do not answer anything after we have seen him endure a bunch of heavy stuff without it having such a deep psychological impact on him as to drastically alter his character. So, yes, the story ideally requires an explanation here. This is no secondary character but one the major ones.

And BTW, I am hardly the only one who has noticed this thus-far lack of any true explanation for this character's mysterious radical change:

https://www.inquisitr.com/4874953/fe...outside-world/

All we have so far are some vague "hints" that something disturbing happened to him. This should be clarified before going much further into the "vultures" story, otherwise it will reach a point where it won't matter much since the character is already dead.
    Last edited by JDP; 12-May-2018 at 01:07 AM. Reason: ;

United States
    It was a small storyline thread that was introduced in one episode and concluded on the next one. What else do we need to know? Eh, I was satisfied.

There was a time skip. At least over a year. Plenty of time for character changes.

Rising

United States
    It was a small storyline thread that was introduced in one episode and concluded on the next one. What else do we need to know? Eh, I was satisfied.

There was a time skip. At least over a year. Plenty of time for character changes.
    Where was it "concluded"? I saw no conclusive explanations anywhere about either why Nick went through such a radical change of character, or how did they get to the stadium, or how in blazes did they all survive that whole mess at the blown up dam, etc., in any of the episodes shown so far. Since these events involve the major characters in the series, some meaningful explanations should certainly be required.