Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: FEAR The Walking Dead - Season 4 discussion...

United States
    We’re only 4 in, relax lol. Unless you want them to blow by the story. And yes Nick’s story has been concluded to the point that we know why he didn’t like going outside the gates.

As far as what he did prior, I’ll say if the mid season finale comes and goes with zero information than that’s a problem. Until then, I’m enjoying the layers getting peeled back slowly.

Don’t expect anything tonight cause it looks like it’s our John backstory. I can see getting your complaint ready. Haha.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Super Moderator

UK
    4x05 "Laura"

Directed by: Michael E. Satrazemis
    Written by: Anna Fishko

The arrival of a wounded visitor in John Dorie's life forces him to change his ways.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 17-May-2018 at 09:53 AM.

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    We’re only 4 in, relax lol. Unless you want them to blow by the story. And yes Nick’s story has been concluded to the point that we know why he didn’t like going outside the gates.

As far as what he did prior, I’ll say if the mid season finale comes and goes with zero information than that’s a problem. Until then, I’m enjoying the layers getting peeled back slowly.

Don’t expect anything tonight cause it looks like it’s our John backstory. I can see getting your complaint ready. Haha.
    I don't see where this "conclusion" was. All I saw were vague references to what happened to Nick, not actual explanations of what actually happened to him that left him with such deep psychological scars. I mean, this fearless character, who would even walk among the dead and keep his cool all the way through, now can't seem to even drive a car straight without freaking out, for crying out loud! This is a MAJOR change of this character's behavior. So, this part of the story seems to still be "hanging". My concern is that if they go too deep into the "vulture" gang story there will come a time when answers to these questions regarding the previous season's "cliffhanger" finale won't matter much anymore. We now know Nick is already dead, and no very meaningful explanations regarding what exactly happened to him to change his character so drastically have come forth yet. What are they waiting for? This season's finale???
    Last edited by JDP; 14-May-2018 at 01:05 AM. Reason: ;

United States
    John Dorie pretty much just became my favorite character.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Super Moderator

UK
    Friggin' loved this episode!

My top 3 episodes are 1x01, 4x01, and now 4x05. Big fan of Dillahunt already, so I was primed and ready for this episode. Really dug it, great character stuff, loads of nice little details from his half-moat, to the boots on the porch, to movie night and so on. John Dorie has become an instant favourite character for me ... I hope that Laura/Naomi actually is alive and Alicia & Co just think she's dead. I wanna see John and "Laura" meet again.

The machete shoulder walker was pretty damn sweet, too - and Laura/Naomi berating him for getting so much blood on the pair of them was a nice touch. It's a shame they didn't think about this stuff all the way back in TWD 1x02 or, at the very least, the next time they did that trick on TWD, but it's fair to say that FearTWD was the big culprit for overusing that gimmick. It's kinda sloppy how it's played out, but at least they're rectifying it now by adding an element of danger to getting zombie gunk on you.

I was trying to read Dorie's handwriting on the movie rental clipboard, but couldn't make it out. Anyone know what films he was watching?

Oh yeah - what did Laura/Naomi say to John at one point? She lost her what? Did she say child, or something? I couldn't make out what she said.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Friggin' loved this episode!

My top 3 episodes are 1x01, 4x01, and now 4x05. Big fan of Dillahunt already, so I was primed and ready for this episode. Really dug it, great character stuff, loads of nice little details from his half-moat, to the boots on the porch, to movie night and so on. John Dorie has become an instant favourite character for me ... I hope that Laura/Naomi actually is alive and Alicia & Co just think she's dead. I wanna see John and "Laura" meet again.

The machete shoulder walker was pretty damn sweet, too - and Laura/Naomi berating him for getting so much blood on the pair of them was a nice touch. It's a shame they didn't think about this stuff all the way back in TWD 1x02 or, at the very least, the next time they did that trick on TWD, but it's fair to say that FearTWD was the big culprit for overusing that gimmick. It's kinda sloppy how it's played out, but at least they're rectifying it now by adding an element of danger to getting zombie gunk on you.

I was trying to read Dorie's handwriting on the movie rental clipboard, but couldn't make it out. Anyone know what films he was watching?

Oh yeah - what did Laura/Naomi say to John at one point? She lost her what? Did she say child, or something? I couldn't make out what she said.
    I feel the same way! This is the kind of character stuff I love. So many little details in this episode that makes it so good. Makes you feel really sad for John and definitely makes you root for him.

Naomi did say she lost her child. Loved how they revealed that.

I tried looking at the movies but spent too much type analyizing his handwriting haha.

Rising

United States
    Why did that bunch of zombies attack the jeep blocking the damaged side of the bridge for no apparent reason at all? There was nobody inside it, except that dead machete-zombie, and, as far as I can tell, John & Laura/Naomi did not leave any music or the engine on, so why would the zombies attack a parked vehicle at random??? They are attracted by things like noise, fire/lights or movement, and, as far as I can tell, there seems to have been none coming from the parked jeep.
    Last edited by JDP; 15-May-2018 at 10:48 PM. Reason: ;

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    Why did that bunch of zombies attack the jeep blocking the damaged side of the bridge for no apparent reason at all? There was nobody inside it, except that dead machete-zombie, and, as far as I can tell, John & Laura/Naomi did not leave any music or the engine on, so why would the zombies attack a parked vehicle at random??? They are attracted by things like noise, fire/lights or movement, and, as far as I can tell, there seems to have been none coming from the parked jeep.
    Remember the car stuck in the river? There is a walker inside banging on the windows.

Super Moderator

UK
    Remember the car stuck in the river? There is a walker inside banging on the windows.
    Plus they caused quite a commotion when dealing with the machete walker. While we didn't see any other walkers close by (to my recollection), I'd also reckon that some walkers were drawn to the spot of said commotion - the walkers themselves create a kerfuffle, so more walkers join the party.

Not the tidiest of ways to cover it on-camera, but yeah.

Rising

United States
    Plus they caused quite a commotion when dealing with the machete walker. While we didn't see any other walkers close by (to my recollection), I'd also reckon that some walkers were drawn to the spot of said commotion - the walkers themselves create a kerfuffle, so more walkers join the party.

Not the tidiest of ways to cover it on-camera, but yeah.
    That couldn't be it, they killed all the zombies nearby, plus any of them that might still have been there would have followed John & Laura/Naomi when they left, they would not have fixated their attention on the empty, quiet jeep. The only explanation seems to be that they can somehow hear the zombie trapped in the car down in the river.
    Last edited by JDP; 17-May-2018 at 12:32 AM. Reason: ;

Super Moderator

UK
    Live airing figures: 2.46 million - so they're finding a steadier number now (last week was 2.49m).

United States
    Live airing figures: 2.46 million - so they're finding a steadier number now (last week was 2.49m).
    I’m seeing better reviews so far compared to prior seasons. People seem to be enjoying S4, sucks so many won’t watch simply because it’s FTWD.

Super Moderator

UK
    4x06 "Just in Case"

Directed by: Daisy von Scherler Mayer
    Written by: Richard Naing

Strand wrestles with Madison's decisions; things take an unexpected turn at the Stadium.

- - - Updated - - -

I’m seeing better reviews so far compared to prior seasons. People seem to be enjoying S4, sucks so many won’t watch simply because it’s FTWD.
    Aye, season 4 is shitting all over the previous three seasons. It's still not as good as TWD, but I wasn't expecting it to be.

At the end of season 3 I was ready to pack-in FearTWD, and I only gave season 4 a shot because of the various tweaks - new showrunner, time jump, new characters, and even with my split feelings about taking Morgan from TWD and porting him over, that did intrigue me an equal amount. They nailed the first episode and they've done a lot to strip away some of the bullshit that was swallowing up the show in the previous seasons. They could still do with trimming the episode count down to, say, 12 (six and six), but they've made big steps forward with the show and it does deserve to win back some viewers at this point.

Perhaps AMC should put all of Season 4a on telly for a binge weekend afterwards so people can catch up, and do the same again prior to Season 4b getting going.

United States
    TWD lately for me has been too formulaic for my tastes. What I love about Fear is that so far all four seasons felt different and don’t follow the same tent pole structure that Gimple has plagued TWD with. Example- Big Premier- nothing happens till mid season finale- cliff hanger- big premier- filler again- Big Finale. That got old after season five. I have hope Angela Kang will break that formula!

Rising

United States
    TWD lately for me has been too formulaic for my tastes. What I love about Fear is that so far all four seasons felt different and don’t follow the same tent pole structure that Gimple has plagued TWD with. Example- Big Premier- nothing happens till mid season finale- cliff hanger- big premier- filler again- Big Finale. That got old after season five. I have hope Angela Kang will break that formula!
    FTWD is unfortunately still using some cliches as well, like the "paralyzed by fear/shock" syndrome so common in zombie movies (think graveyard scene in Fulci's Zombie, for example.) But at least in most zombie movies it has a passing because they usually happen during a time when the zombies are a surprise to virtually everyone, so one might understand why some people would not know how to react when coming face to face with a zombie. But FTWD is now happening quite into a zombie apocalypse. The zombies are no longer any "surprise" or "novelty". So late into this mess it is difficult to swallow that any survivor will act in the "shocked" manner that Laura/Naomi did in this latest episode when confronted by the zombies, personal emotions notwithstanding, and which nearly got her killed. By this time, basically no survivor ignores that the zombies are not the human beings they were before but cannibalistic monsters that will not respond to such concepts as being "family" or "friends" and will try to kill & eat anyone alive who crosses their path.