Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: FEAR The Walking Dead - Season 4 discussion...

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    FTWD is unfortunately still using some cliches as well, like the "paralyzed by fear/shock" syndrome so common in zombie movies (think graveyard scene in Fulci's Zombie, for example.) But at least in most zombie movies it has a passing because they usually happen during a time when the zombies are a surprise to virtually everyone, so one might understand why some people would not know how to react when coming face to face with a zombie. But FTWD is now happening quite into a zombie apocalypse. The zombies are no longer any "surprise" or "novelty". So late into this mess it is difficult to swallow that any survivor will act in the "shocked" manner that Laura/Naomi did in this latest episode when confronted by the zombies, personal emotions notwithstanding, and which nearly got her killed. By this time, basically no survivor ignores that the zombies are not the human beings they were before but cannibalistic monsters that will not respond to such concepts as being "family" or "friends" and will try to kill & eat anyone alive who crosses their path.
    Every show has its cliches. Same with movies. That’s just Hollywood. But an entire season structure that always follows from A to Z consistently for years doesn’t have an excuse. That’s not even including the cheap gimmicks. Mind you, most of those gimmicks I’m sure is AMC mucking with things.

As far as Naomi, yeah, I can see the absurdity in that but no individual will handle certain situations the same; especially when it involves a deceased child. None of us here would ever know how another feels.

Super Moderator

UK
    I'd say there's a difference between a 'general apocalypse situation' and a scenario that involves a character's own torturous story (i.e with Naomi's backstory - not only the loss of her child, but that she hid the sick child, took too long to get the meds, then came back and - through her actions - caused the death and zombification of an entire FEMA camp). Faced with the toll of your bugger up, something which she's been running from for quite a while, would likely cause a breakdown. Indeed, in that moment, she might just want to shut down entirely and give up.

You make a fair point about the structure of TWD relying too much on premieres and finales, Gimple did get sucked into that cycle too much, but it's not fair to say that everything inbetween is just filler. You surely do have some 'filler' episodes (I'd advocate a trimming down to 12 episodes for FearTWD and TWD), but there are superb episodes dotted throughout the season ... but, yes, the middle episodes all feel to march to the beat of the premieres and finales. Now - remember episode 3x04 - that came out of nowhere and is one of the greatest ever episodes. Throwing a grenade like that into the storytelling throws the viewers off-balance and you start not knowing what to expect. If you know the big shit is, likely, only going to go down in the 'firsts and lasts', then suspense wanes. In fact, it'd make sense to throw unexpected curveballs into 'middle episodes' because people might be less likely to 'just watch it later' during those middle six weeks. So, aye, Angela Kang - get that on the 'To Do List' of things to sort out, please.

Anyway - back to FearTWD - I really hope they don't kill off John Dorie. He's the best damn thing to hit this show since, well, ever IMHO.

United States
    A good example is Noami’s fate revealed six episodes in instead of being saved for the mid season finale. That’s something I hope Kang really fixes like I said before. There has to be payoff’s during the entire season not just the premiers/finales.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    A good example is Noami’s fate revealed six episodes in instead of being saved for the mid season finale. That’s something I hope Kang really fixes like I said before. There has to be payoff’s during the entire season not just the premiers/finales.
    lol, I'd kind of forgotten that she was "dead", and always kind of believed that she'd turn up alive, so when she did I didn't have any surprise in it at all ... but I'm glad she's alive (HOPEFULLY DORIE SURVIVES TOO, DAGNAMMIT!)

So was Naomi part of the vultures at some point in the past (one of the camps she mentioned in previous episodes) and kept shtum, or actually more what I'm assuming, did she join them after The Diamond went under? I guess we'll see next week.

Yeah, it's good to get some twists and turns spread out. TWD isn't without sudden sharp turns - remember the invasion of the Wolves in Season 6? Carol watching the neighbour having a crafty ciggie and then BAM, a maniac storms in out of nowhere and chaos ensues, or 6x03 (IIRC) with the shock dumpster alleyway scene (although the red herring was too manipulative, I did still enjoy it) ... but TWD has too often relied upon a storytelling structure that needed to be kept more loose and adaptable, rather than becoming entrenched. It worked really well for seasons 4 and 5 - and, arguably, 6 - but the pattern became much more predictable in Season 7. Then Season 8 ramped up the action, but there's more to "pacing" than just action, you've also got to think about the rate at which events are progressing in the storylines, the rate at which time is passing in their world compared to our world.

Fingers crossed that Kang sorts these kinds of things out and freshens everything up nicely - it's worked a treat for FearTWD. At the end of Season 3 I was ready to ditch it, now I'm looking forward to the next episode!

United States
    Haha yeah I love “JSS” except for the cold open.

I’m thinking she joined them after. I remember Mel giving them the Ultimatum of give them their stuff and they live and can even join them. In this past episode’s “Previously on Fear The Walking Dead”, they showed that exact same scene with Madison and Mel again so I knew it would come into play somehow, that’s how these shows work. They kind of give away a lot of stuff by remninding us of prior events.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Super Moderator

UK
    Haha yeah I love “JSS” except for the cold open.

I’m thinking she joined them after. I remember Mel giving them the Ultimatum of give them their stuff and they live and can even join them. In this past episode’s “Previously on Fear The Walking Dead”, they showed that exact same scene with Madison and Mel again so I knew it would come into play somehow, that’s how these shows work. They kind of give away a lot of stuff by remninding us of prior events.
    But at the same time some of those 'previously on' can be quite helpful to refresh the memory for pertinent details that explain why something happens later on. Double-edged sword. It's a tightrope to walk with those, but I have seen some that have been so friggin' blunt on various shows.

United States
    I remember we haven’t seen Jadis in a while and then she was shown on the recap clip so I knew she would be revealed that episode. Those are the ones I hate the most. Eugene’s bullet sabotage too.

Rising

United States
    I remember we haven’t seen Jadis in a while and then she was shown on the recap clip so I knew she would be revealed that episode. Those are the ones I hate the most. Eugene’s bullet sabotage too.
    The "sneak peeks" at a future episode also sometimes can ruin a "surprise".

United States
    The "sneak peeks" at a future episode also sometimes can ruin a "surprise".
    Yeah, I try to avoid previews for everything now. Way too much shown.

Super Moderator

UK
    2.31m for the live viewing figures this time around.

United States
    No episode this week. Guess I can catch up on Westworld.

Super Moderator

UK
    Why the week off? Is there some sporting event over in the USA or something?

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Why the week off? Is there some sporting event over in the USA or something?
    Zombies also celebrate Memorial Day.

Super Moderator

UK
    Zombies also celebrate Memorial Day.
    Ah, that makes sense. Beyond Thanksgiving and July 4th we don't really know your holidays over on this side of the pond, even our Mother's Day dates are different (ours is in March).

Super Moderator

UK
    4x07 "The Wrong Side of Where You Are Now"

Directed by: Sarah Boyd
    Written by: Melissa Scrivner Love

Strand wrestles with Madison's decisions; things take an unexpected turn at the Stadium.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 10-Jun-2018 at 10:00 AM.