Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: FEAR The Walking Dead - Season 4 discussion...

Super Moderator

UK

FEAR The Walking Dead - Season 4 discussion...

This thread is to discuss all of Season 4 of Fear The Walking Dead - bear in mind that there will be spoilers current to the latest episode that has been broadcast as the conversation continues.

4x01 "What's Your Story?" (airs April 15th 2018)

Directed by: John Polson
    Written by: Scott M. Gimple & Andrew Chambliss & Ian B. Goldberg

Last edited by MinionZombie; 06-Apr-2018 at 09:42 AM.

United States
    I don’t know how you guys feel bit Fear got a whole lot better last season after a sub par first two seasons. The new trailer looks great and very curious how Morgan will fit in. Personally I have no problem with the characters crossing over AS LONG as it’s done well and tastefully.
    Would be cool if it turned out that Rick and Madison were brother a sister. Just a thought

Super Moderator

UK
    To be honest, some of my issues with Fear are just inherent to the setup - mainly that it's too similar to TWD in that we're following a group of civilians again. We've got that well covered on TWD, whereas Fear had the opportunity to explore other sides (e.g. government, military etc) and ignored that. We saw glimpses of it in Season 1, but I so wanted to see far more from that side of things as something different (imagine underground government bunkers - you could still deal with zombie action, but you'd have different problems and interpersonal machinations to deal with instead of retreading ground that was covered on TWD years ago).

I also feel that Fear struggles to fill its episode order of 16. TWD could benefit from being trimmed down to 12, but Fear has never managed to fill out the 13 and 16 episodes of the past two seasons.

This all said, an injection of new characters and a big time jump and a new showrunner has stopped me from abandoning the show (for now, anyway). I'm interested to see who these new people are and hopefully get some better stories and character arcs (some stuff in Season 3 felt too scrappy, or a bit 'been there done that', or generally unsatisfying - they really buggered the Nick character around quite a bit). Of course, it'll be interesting to see how Morgan factors into all this, too.

I get the suspicion that we'll see some flashback episodes or segments along the way explaining some stuff during the time jump as the gap is far greater for Fear than it will be for TWD when it goes into Season 9 (so we're hoping for, anyway).

United States
    I recorded it, but haven't even bothered watching most of the last season yet. The only reason I'm going to continue watching is hearing that it is supposed to improve more.

One of my biggest problems with the show is that they didn't even really show much of what they said the series would be about, which was the beginning of the outbreak. Well, they showed tiny glimpses for a few episodes, I guess. That, and the first two seasons just felt like a watered down TWD knockoff. And then there is the whole Nick covering himself in guts as camo thing.

United States
    Reviews are in and early reports say it’s S4 is better than anything TWD has ever done. Source is Forbes. Overhyped? Maybe but I can’t wait to find out for myself.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

England
    I'm worried that the changes in Series 4 are going to be detrimental to the Fear... TWD has got so much crap dialogue & wooden acting.
    I enjoyed Fear series 3, especially the reprisal of Kim Dickens and Dayton Callie from Deadwood, though both shows are a bit bonkers plotwise.

United States
    I'd still like to know exactly how Morgan is going to get from VA to CA/Mexico (or wherever they are currently), when TWD characters just barely got from GA to VA. And, assuming the FTWD universe is at least a year or two behind TWD, are they going to jump that far ahead in time, plus however long it would Morgan to make his trip? Hmm.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    Reviews are in and early reports say it’s S4 is better than anything TWD has ever done. Source is Forbes. Overhyped? Maybe but I can’t wait to find out for myself.
    As-fucking-if.

Not to slag off the show unfairly, but come on Forbes...

Now, if it's a case of the best that Fear itself has ever been? Well that's something to go on and even look forward to.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzbomb View Post
    I'm worried that the changes in Series 4 are going to be detrimental to the Fear... TWD has got so much crap dialogue & wooden acting.
    Eh?!

Quote Originally Posted by beat_truck View Post
    I'd still like to know exactly how Morgan is going to get from VA to CA/Mexico (or wherever they are currently), when TWD characters just barely got from GA to VA. And, assuming the FTWD universe is at least a year or two behind TWD, are they going to jump that far ahead in time, plus however long it would Morgan to make his trip? Hmm.
    Yep, it's gonna have to be that big of a time jump for Fear, although I do wonder if we'll get flashbacks along the way showing some of the 'then-to-now' stuff of how they hooked back up after that dam was blown up (frankly it's a bit "you wot mate?" that the four main leads all survived that and regrouped!)

In the trailer there's a great big truck thing that Morgan is seen in, so I'm assuming he drove in that (but I imagine it was terribly thirsty to make such a lengthy trip across multiple states) ... maybe he only drove in it part of the way? Making such a trek, with all the dangers along the way, does seem a bit odd.

United States
    I’m assuming Morgan ran into the driver of the truck fairly early in his journey and they both traveled to Texas together.

Yeah I don’t buy that review fully but one thing is for sure, you can tell they really gave the show a much needed makeover. It actually does look and feel different going by the trailers.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    I’m assuming Morgan ran into the driver of the truck fairly early in his journey and they both traveled to Texas together.

Yeah I don’t buy that review fully but one thing is for sure, you can tell they really gave the show a much needed makeover. It actually does look and feel different going by the trailers.
    Aye, it does look better just going off the trailers. They'd killed off several cast members last season so that helped make some room, and I'm glad to see the Mexican lady return after she went her own way in Season 2. It's a little weird that she just went off and now she's back, but anyway...

I'm really looking forward to Garrett Dillahunt's role on the show. I've enjoyed many of his appearances in various things along the way (e.g. The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, Raising Hope, and heck, he was easily the best part of the Last House on the Left remake ... although I don't mean to damn with faint praise on that last point), and it looks like he's got a cool kind of gunslinger-ish character about him.

United States
    A gunslinger in the ZA? I’m in.

United States
    Have a strong feeling this is where the writing for Fear overtakes the writing for TWD

Super Moderator

UK
    So I put up a damn thread and nobody's got anything to say?

Anyway - watched it last night - it was the best damn episode of Fear since 1x01.

Mind you ... this episode featured four TWD characters, a TWD setting, and two new (good & cool) characters - John and 'Al' - and some Fear regulars only turned up in the last couple of minutes (in a good 'twist' vibe of an ending). The real test is gonna be if the show can sustain this quality beyond 4x01 as familiar faces return.

However, just going on this episode alone, they're off to a good start with Season 4 and it makes sense doing it this way - you give plenty of time to the 'Morgan crossover', but you also spend the vast majority of time on new characters to try and bring back some viewers who ditched the show after the dodgy second and third seasons. I hope this new showrunner has injected a new lease of life into Fear, because good lord did it need it. Fingers crossed they maintain this quality throughout the season from here on out ... but on past form I'm not holding my breath, but it's a good start.

Really digging the John character. Cool gunslinger of the apocalypse vibe, but he's also kind of a romantic (seemingly) and has a strange off-kilter niceness about him, and 'Al' is a nifty new face on the show also (sweet ride, too!) ... what's with the documentary stuff? Heck, it's a little bit World War Z, ain't it? Nice to get a bit of that 'documenting the apocalypse' stuff seeing as WWZ completely ballsed up the source material, eh?

Went a bit overboard with the desaturation, though.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 17-Apr-2018 at 09:34 AM.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    So I put up a damn thread and nobody's got anything to say?

Anyway - watched it last night - it was the best damn episode of Fear since 1x01.

Mind you ... this episode featured four TWD characters, a TWD setting, and two new (good & cool) characters - John and 'Al' - and some Fear regulars only turned up in the last couple of minutes (in a good 'twist' vibe of an ending). The real test is gonna be if the show can sustain this quality beyond 4x01 as familiar faces return.

However, just going on this episode alone, they're off to a good start with Season 4 and it makes sense doing it this way - you give plenty of time to the 'Morgan crossover', but you also spend the vast majority of time on new characters to try and bring back some viewers who ditched the show after the dodgy second and third seasons. I hope this new showrunner has injected a new lease of life into Fear, because good lord did it need it. Fingers crossed they maintain this quality throughout the season from here on out ... but on past form I'm not holding my breath, but it's a good start.

Really digging the John character. Cool gunslinger of the apocalypse vibe, but he's also kind of a romantic (seemingly) and has a strange off-kilter niceness about him, and 'Al' is a nifty new face on the show also (sweet ride, too!) ... what's with the documentary stuff? Heck, it's a little bit World War Z, ain't it? Nice to get a bit of that 'documenting the apocalypse' stuff seeing as WWZ completely ballsed up the source material, eh?

Went a bit overboard with the desaturation, though.
    I already like the two new characters more than half the Walking dead regulars i.e. Tara, Enid, Aaron, Jadis, etc

United States
    This is gonna be better than season 8.

Telling you, MZ, Fear has been steadily getting better and better and now it’s a completely new show. I’ll know for sure after the next episode.