Thread: Monroeville George Romero Memorial Bust

Administrator

England

Monroeville George Romero Memorial Bust

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/m...ille-or-bust#/

GEORGE A. ROMERO is the father of the film industry in Pittsburgh, and his work has inspired generations of artists around the world. Help us honor his legacy by installing a bronze memorial bust at Monroeville Mall on the 40th anniversary of the production of DAWN OF THE DEAD!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Pretty damn cool.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Rising

United States
    Long overdue! Unfortunately, too many changes have been allowed to happen to the mall itself. Some of its iconic locations should have been forbidden to be changed.

Ireland
    Nice.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Neat! Of course the design is based on Romero’s appearance at the time of filming Dawn, but I would think it would be better to use his appearance later in his life, because the ponytail and glasses are pretty well engrained with his reputation and legacy at this point.

The “Between Night and Dawn” Blu Ray Box Set used that appearance on its cover for similar reasons.
    Last edited by bassman; 22-May-2018 at 05:30 PM. Reason: Typo

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Awesome!! I hope this gets funded.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    Long overdue! Unfortunately, too many changes have been allowed to happen to the mall itself. Some of its iconic locations should have been forbidden to be changed.
    you said it! i finally made the trip to PA this holiday weekend and saw locations from the original night of the living dead and the remake, as well as the airfield and mall from dawn of the dead.

and i was very bummed about the mall. aside from the main entrance, the place is unrecognizable. such a bittersweet moment. however, one cool caveat is that the fountain area is now a play area that my 20-month old son had a total blast playing in.

going to the airfield was probably a more exciting moment than visiting the mall, sadly.

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    you said it! i finally made the trip to PA this holiday weekend and saw locations from the original night of the living dead and the remake, as well as the airfield and mall from dawn of the dead.

and i was very bummed about the mall. aside from the main entrance, the place is unrecognizable. such a bittersweet moment. however, one cool caveat is that the fountain area is now a play area that my 20-month old son had a total blast playing in.

going to the airfield was probably a more exciting moment than visiting the mall, sadly.
    When they tore down the Penney's to put a movie theater was almost the final nail in the coffin for what still remains of the iconic old mall. They should NEVER have allowed that to happen! Put another department store, but don't tear the place down!

United States
    Here's a video from the event showing the bust and some of the cast and crew members that showed up.

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by beat_truck View Post
    Here's a video from the event showing the bust and some of the cast and crew members that showed up.

Thanks for sharing this, beat truck! Good stuff!

Super Moderator

UK
    Sweet, I'll be giving that a watch later on.

It would have been amazing to be there, but being all the way over here in the UK plus being a bit light in the wallet it just wasn't doable when I looked at the sums.

United States
    Here's another cool video.

I only live about 60-70 miles away from Monroeville. I wish I had been able to see it. Maybe someday I'll actually get to visit some Romero related filming locations.