Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I think this is going to be the kiss of death for TWD

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    I'll give him David Duchovny's number.
    I see what you’re saying and I’d even thought about the similarities with Duchovny’s departure as well, but to be fair, he’s went on to have a successful acting and directing career, including another long-running show with Californication. No real leading man roles in feature films, though.

I suspect Lincoln’s career will be similar. He’ll struggle for a while to escape his popularity as Grimes, never really becoming a feature film leading man, but will ultimately have good roles in smaller films and television.

Ireland
    Yeh, but it wasn't the career he thought he was going to have. Otherwise, we wouldn't be seeing 'The X Files' back on tele with him in it.

Don't get me wrong, I understand why actors want away from roles. Who would want to do that same gig all the time, especially when money is no longer an issue?

It just shortchanges the fans in a really bad way.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Beat Truck - you might want to give FearTWD Season 4 a go. I was done with it after Season 3, but the change-ups they were making enticed me back, and I've been thoroughly enjoying it since. It's not up to the snuff of TWD's golden years, but Fear's fourth season stands tall over the last couple. Six episodes in so far and we'll see how it goes from here, but so far so good with FearTWD season 4.
    Well, that's encouraging. I might give it a shot. I still have to catch up on Season 3 first. It's been so long that I don't remember if I watched any of it.

I just need to see which tapes are which. The first couple fell on the floor and got out of order. And, of course I was too lazy to mark them.

Super Moderator

UK
    *sigh*

So considering all this, how do you salvage a workable story from the chaos? I certainly don't envy Angela Kang and the writing staff!

You could write in some sort of 'Negan escapes' plot line and Rick and Maggie both head off (perhaps together) to hunt him down (but the problem arises with Maggie, after a time jump, being a mother) ... I'd like for their characters to not be killed off, but somehow be removed from the equation and allowed to come back towards the end of the show's run to tie things off a bit better.

Meanwhile, a new threat arises with Daryl having to fill Rick's boots and he suddenly has to deal with very different issues - no longer a Lieutenant, Daryl's now a General, and he's having to learn new skills and the ways of politics to maintain peace with The Sanctuary, bring the communities together, and face the new threat without Rick's leadership, which they've previously relied on.

As I've said, ideally Gimple would have been replaced prior to season 8 and Kang would have taken over for that, Carl would still be alive, and All Out War would have been an intense half-season with the time jump coming mid-season and for there to be a clear end-game. You could have wrapped up TWD and maybe even done a Daryl Dixon spin-off series.

Instead, though, we've pretty much got a dumpster fire in the making and it breaks my TWD fan's heart. I'll still be watching, but boy, this should stand as a lesson to any other shows that find themselves becoming a huge success on how to plan for the future and avoid chaos that does nothing but disrespect the fans and squander the excellent hard work of a dedicated cast & crew.

Ireland
    Well, you don't.

I'll be honest, I have zero interest in 'The Walking Dead' without Rick Grimes. It's his fucking story, for Christ's sake. As you said Mini, we woke up with the guy.

The show will be dead, once he goes. I'd almost guarantee that.

Everyone better start hoping 'Fear the Walking Dead' gets better.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    *sigh*

So considering all this, how do you salvage a workable story from the chaos? I certainly don't envy Angela Kang and the writing staff!

You could write in some sort of 'Negan escapes' plot line and Rick and Maggie both head off (perhaps together) to hunt him down (but the problem arises with Maggie, after a time jump, being a mother) ... I'd like for their characters to not be killed off, but somehow be removed from the equation and allowed to come back towards the end of the show's run to tie things off a bit better.

Meanwhile, a new threat arises with Daryl having to fill Rick's boots and he suddenly has to deal with very different issues - no longer a Lieutenant, Daryl's now a General, and he's having to learn new skills and the ways of politics to maintain peace with The Sanctuary, bring the communities together, and face the new threat without Rick's leadership, which they've previously relied on.

As I've said, ideally Gimple would have been replaced prior to season 8 and Kang would have taken over for that, Carl would still be alive, and All Out War would have been an intense half-season with the time jump coming mid-season and for there to be a clear end-game. You could have wrapped up TWD and maybe even done a Daryl Dixon spin-off series.

Instead, though, we've pretty much got a dumpster fire in the making and it breaks my TWD fan's heart. I'll still be watching, but boy, this should stand as a lesson to any other shows that find themselves becoming a huge success on how to plan for the future and avoid chaos that does nothing but disrespect the fans and squander the excellent hard work of a dedicated cast & crew.
    I'm with ya on the sigh. A dumpster fire out of control. I am beyond saddened and angry. I need Rick Grimes to be there at the end. From the pilot on Lincoln has absolutely performed for us and making us believe in Rick. I love many characters past and present but Rick is the one I needed to last.

Your idea about leaving an opening for Rick and Maggie would be great but I doubt that is what will happen. They're dead and that ends the show for me. I always wanted the show to end positively and with hope of a future society. In a perfect world, considering current events, I would be thrilled if Daryl leads survivors to a new, safe and secure society and as he walks through the gates a man appears behind him with. .357 python and Daryl hears "glad you made brother". Ok that may be far to optimistic but I would be content with that. But let's face it, there is no way it happens. How could they explain Rick leaving everyone, finding true sanctuary and not going back for his friends. Heck he went back for Merle

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Well, you don't.

I'll be honest, I have zero interest in 'The Walking Dead' without Rick Grimes. It's his fucking story, for Christ's sake. As you said Mini, we woke up with the guy.

The show will be dead, once he goes. I'd almost guarantee that.

Everyone better start hoping 'Fear the Walking Dead' gets better.
    Fear has gotten better.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by facestabber View Post
    Your idea about leaving an opening for Rick and Maggie would be great but I doubt that is what will happen. They're dead and that ends the show for me.
    But is it for sure that the characters have been killed? Has it been confirmed?

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I don’t think there’s been any confirmation on exactly how the character will exit the series. As others have said, given the nature of the show, it’s probably a safe bet that it’ll be by death.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    Why exactly would they confirm something like that? That kind of defeats the purpose of airing the show, to come out and tell fans what happens in advance.

Although, at this point nothing they do would really surprise me.

United States
    Not confirmed. And as alluded to below I doubt it is something AMC can or will do at this point. Maybe at SDCC they will try and exploit 'Rick Grimes last season'. One thing is for sure Andrew Lincoln will get bombarded at cons/panels. I read that last years con in San Diego, the cast was very somber and appeared troubled. We now know that was probably due to Carl's death.

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by beat_truck View Post
    Why exactly would they confirm something like that? That kind of defeats the purpose of airing the show, to come out and tell fans what happens in advance.

Although, at this point nothing they do would really surprise me.
    Since the cat's out of the bag that the actor who plays the series' main protagonist is leaving the show, I would think that they have little choice left but to address the situation regarding the fate of the character. This means that there are only 3 choices left:

1- Rick is dead

2- Rick will somehow be written out of the show

3- They will pull a "Bewitched" on the audience (i.e. bring in another actor to play the protagonist)

Choice number 3 sounds like a friggin' joke in this day & age (they could get away with such things in the 60s & 70s, but this hardly passes muster today), so I don't think they will try to pull it off. Seems strange that Lincoln's departure was not more carefully kept a secret. Whenever an actor in this show leaves, nothing is said about it until after the episode where his/her character is killed hits the airwaves.
    Last edited by JDP; 01-Jun-2018 at 11:35 PM. Reason: ;

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Because an actor’s departure has leaked, you expect them to go ahead and explain exactly how it will happen?

That’s not going to happen, but if you must know before the episode airs, a quick google search will point you toward the direction of spoiler sites with set leaks. Like every death before, Rick’s will leak onto the net, but it won’t be given away by AMC or the crew.

United States
    Since the cat's out of the bag that the actor who plays the series' main protagonist is leaving the show, I would think that they have little choice left but to address the situation regarding the fate of the character. This means that there are only 3 choices left:

1- Rick is dead

2- Rick will somehow be written out of the show

3- They will pull a "Bewitched" on the audience (i.e. bring in another actor to play the protagonist)

Choice number 3 sounds like a friggin' joke in this day & age (they could get away with such things in the 60s & 70s, but this hardly passes muster today), so I don't think they will try to pull it off. Seems strange that Lincoln's departure was not more carefully kept a secret. Whenever an actor in this show leaves, nothing is said about it until after the episode where his/her character is killed hits the airwaves.
    I still don't see them confirming anything. Providing plot spoilers that large is not something creators normally do with their shows. This ain't a normal show, though, so who knows.

I agree when it comes to #3. I sure hope they don't embarrass themselves by bringing in another actor to play Rick.

United States
    Lincoln is confirmed by spoiler sites that he only has six episodes this season; same as Maggie. Out of respect for the character and Lincoln they didn't want to spoil what happens. I'm assuming since he's leaving he's definitely dead, Maggie too. Unless Maggie's role this season is spread out; Three this half and three the next.

Rick is confirmed gone already so I'm assuming it happens before mid season finale.

I bet AMC was gonna announce at SDCC but it got leaked beforehand. Look for them to announce anytime now due to leaks.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."