Thread: Cargo (Netflix Film)

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

Cargo (Netflix Film)

Anyone seen this Australian zombie/virus film starring Martin Freeman? It’s actually not half bad for a Netflix film. Although at this point I think they’re purchasing distribution rights for films more than they used to, so it was likely produced through other means.

Anyway, it doesn’t reinvent the wheel or anything, but it’s good for an evening with a post apocalyptic film.

Super Moderator

UK
    I saw the short film (from 2013, IIRC) and that was a crackin' little piece.

I've read, though, that the feature feels a bit padded out as a result of the jump from short to feature.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I hadn’t heard of the YouTube short until I finished the film and made this thread. I’m going to have to go back to watch and compare now, but I imagine it hits the same beats that made the feature length play out, regarding what the father does to keep his kid safe...

United States
    Saw it last night. It's actually really sad in ways. I have a really soft spot for children in horror like this. I really liked the ending moments.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Ireland
    The wife saw it and said I should watch it. It'd be right up my street. I can't seem to get the time to sit down to anything these days though.

Another good Aussie end of the world pic is 'These Final Hours'. Check that out too, if you can.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    The wife saw it and said I should watch it. It'd be right up my street. I can't seem to get the time to sit down to anything these days though.

Another good Aussie end of the world pic is 'These Final Hours'. Check that out too, if you can.
    So a bit like a re-vamp of On The Beach?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaoF6byFQFU
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Not a very happy film.

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post

There are some parallels I spose. But, it's much, much better.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

England
    Enjoyed sort of. Ok viewing. The short film concept wasn't implemented very well though. Just a token bit at the end.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Saw this earlier today.
    An OK film. Parts of it were really good. The Father-Daughter angle was very touching and worked wonders to evoke emotion. Some scenes were really sad. Brilliant use of the "infected"-trope, having the father getting infected early on. Also some other scenes worked well, like the other family they encounter who are preparing for their own demise.

Other aspects of the film did not play as well. The token Hillbilly antagonist felt almost like an afterthought and did not really engage with me at all. I feel like a much better villain could have been explored.

I don't believe there was a single close-up of a zombie in the entire film, except maybe towards the veeeery end. That's kind of original for a zombie film.