Thread: Suspiria Remake

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

Suspiria Remake

I imagine this will ruffle some feathers....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3jJHxKj3zM
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 04-Jun-2018 at 04:22 PM.

Super Moderator

UK
    Moody, atmospheric trailer ... perhaps it'll have some merit after all.

Although, to be honest, did Suspiria need to be remade? Even if this remake doesn't embarrass itself, and hell, even if it's pretty decent, it'll always be inferior to Argento's utterly unique and long established classic. In some ways I can't help but think - what's the point in trying? Remake something that had some good ideas but ended up being shite, you know? But there's no 'built-in audience' (on a large enough scale) for a remake of a dumpster fire of an original movie from decades ago.

It's rare that you get a remake of a horror classic that earns an equal place beside the original - Maniac, for instance, or The Hills Have Eyes, The Crazies, and Piranha 3D is a hell of a good time ... although all those films had their weaknesses in the original versions, so the remakes were able to do some things better than the original and the original still did other things better than the remake. Maniac, most particularly, brought something fresh with the POV presentation, and The Hills Have Eyes 2006's final act was loads better than that of the original movie (the nuclear test site).

As for the new Suspiria? I'll see it at some point...

United States
    Yay. Yet another unneeded remake.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Poster:

I’ve never been a big fan of Argento’s original, so I’ll likely be able to give this a chance on its own merits. Even though the general idea behind it is indeed unneeded.
    Last edited by bassman; 04-Jun-2018 at 08:01 PM. Reason: .

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I think it looks great and am really looking forward to it.
    I'm a big fan of the original, by the way. But if done well I think this could be great.
    Will it rival the old one? No, and by the looks of the trailer it's trying to do something different completely.

Undisclosed
    I will most definitely check it out if it is rated NC-17 or a hard R. Personally, I would rather watch a very superb made sequel or reboot from the Demons series. There are too many zombie themes now days. We need some demons.

Ireland
    Mmmm...don't know what to make of that.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Trailer Two:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnjDS-4mY28

I really enjoyed that! I’m grtting excited for this, which is rare for these type of classic remakes.

Ireland
    Well, I was interested when I saw Tilda Swinton.

But then lost interest when I saw the Ahnenpass. They're going to try and make this a "nazi" thing, are they. Cos, that'll suck absolute balls.

BTW, watched the original one again a few days ago. Still great. Weird, stupid, and great.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    It’s been quite a while since I watched Argento’s original and my memory of it is foggy, but was there someone playing an older character in that film? The character in old age makeup in this trailer kinda stood out...

I’m going to need to give the original another spin before this new one is released.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    It’s been quite a while since I watched Argento’s original and my memory of it is foggy, but was there someone playing an older character in that film? The character in old age makeup in this trailer kinda stood out...

I’m going to need to give the original another spin before this new one is released.
    No. An equivalent character is not present in Suspiria. However there is a very similar character in the sequel Inferno.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    It was revealed in a recent interview that they toyed with the idea of calling the film “Suspiria: Part One”, much like what was done with the recent “IT” films. So if successful, it’s a safe bet that Suspiria 2 is already planned and will follow shortly after.

At the beginning, we were going to title the movie Suspiria: Part One but we didn’t want to give the impression of something that couldn’t stand alone. Truthfully, I’d be interested to explore the origin of Madame Blanc and Helena Marcus and also the future of Suzy Bannion in the world. So maybe. We’ll have to see how the movie goes.
    New poster:

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    It’s really not all that surprising, but original Suspiria Director Dario Argento wasn’t satisfied with how the remake was handled:

It did not excite me, it betrayed the spirit of the original film: there is no fear, there is no music. The film has not satisfied me so much.
    I’ve been hearing that some reviews are great, but still haven’t had a chance to see the remake yet. Anyone here given it a spin?

Super Moderator

UK
    I'm yet to see it, but a criticism I've often heard/read is that it's decidedly too long and takes itself too seriously.

Ireland
    ^

Ditto. The reviews that I've heard have been mixed and it sounds like it misses what Argento's picture entertaining.

A mate of mine who say it gave a one word review..."poncey".

I don't think I'll be in any hurry to watch it. My To Do list is too long as it is.