Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Halloween (film) - 2018

Ireland
    No, this skips 'Halloween II'.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Being that Carpenter was involved with the second film, it’s a bit surprising that they decided it wouldn’t be involved with this reboot/sequel. It certainly makes sense to ignore Laurie Strode’s involvement with the further sequels, though. Resurrection was really bad and wreaked of Curtis wanting to collect a paycheck and kill off the character.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Being that Carpenter was involved with the second film, it’s a bit surprising that they decided it wouldn’t be involved with this reboot/sequel. It certainly makes sense to ignore Laurie Strode’s involvement with the further sequels, though. Resurrection was really bad and wreaked of Curtis wanting to collect a paycheck and kill off the character.
    Ugh, Resurrection was a friggin' travesty ... literally the worst Halloween movie ever made by a country mile.

United States
    Hmm, I don't think I've seen Resurrection. I know I've seen all the rest and own most of them, though.

The first two are classics and I like them almost equally. I badly hated the third when I was younger, but it has grown a lot on me and I actually like it now. The rest are "meh" at best.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Season of the Witch(III) has also grown on me over the years. That seems to be the case for a lot of fans. The more removed from it’s release and coming to terms with it being it’s own story, fans are coming out of the woodwork in support of the film. Plus it stars the man, Tom Atkins, so that automatically gives it an edge!

Rising

United States
    Season of the Witch(III) has also grown on me over the years. That seems to be the case for a lot of fans. The more removed from it’s release and coming to terms with it being it’s own story, fans are coming out of the woodwork in support of the film. Plus it stars the man, Tom Atkins, so that automatically gives it an edge!
    It's a cool movie, but, in retrospective, making it part of the Halloween movies was not the best choice. The filmmakers at the time did not envision that the fans would associate the franchise exclusively with Michael Myers.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Yeah, they evidently miscalculated how much the fans had already attached the character of Myers to the title “Halloween”. Although I do still think that their initial intention of making a series of anthology films could have been interesting. A different film every year for the Halloween season could have been great had they been able to follow through with it successfully.

For anyone confused about the multiple different Halloween timelines, maybe this will help:

Last edited by bassman; 11-Jun-2018 at 10:54 PM. Reason: .

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    They should just retroactively rename Halloween 3 something else. As it stands now it makes no sense whatsoever.

I've only seen it once. I thought the whole idea was crap. Lasers in masks and all that.

Super Moderator

UK
    There was a good episode of the podcast "How Did This Get Made?" that was all about Halloween 3 - check it out some time.

Likewise, Halloween 3 has grown on me more as time has gone on, although that might be more in theory because IIRC I've only seen it once - but I waited a very long time because I knew that it didn't feature Michael Myers. Eventually I gave it a go and was pleasantly surprised - I rather enjoyed it. It's the last in the franchise to have that Carpenter vibe to it (they music, the credits, the cinematography etc) ... but it certainly is utterly barmy!

Did they intend to do 'a different story' for each movie from the very beginning of the franchise, though? Or was that something they dreamed up after Halloween II?

Ireland
    I love that stupid film.

It's utterly farcical. But great entertainment.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Did they intend to do 'a different story' for each movie from the very beginning of the franchise, though? Or was that something they dreamed up after Halloween II?
    IIRC, Carpenter had wanted to do something different with Halloween II? And maybe it was the producers that made him write one “last” Myers film? It’s been a while, so I’d have to check the documentaries again, though...

United States
    Actually pretty hyped for this looks like a return to a classic formula.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by nectarsis View Post
    Actually pretty hyped for this looks like a return to a classic formula.
    Me too.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    There was a good episode of the podcast "How Did This Get Made?" that was all about Halloween 3 - check it out some time.
    I just gave this a listen. Very funny and interesting podcast! They brought up some points that I’d never even considered. Subscribing for their other entries!

Super Moderator

UK
    I just gave this a listen. Very funny and interesting podcast! They brought up some points that I’d never even considered. Subscribing for their other entries!
    They've done quite a lot of good episodes, but a few I'd highly recommend listening to sharpish are Chopping Mall, Maximum Overdrive, Crank 1, Crank 2, and Sleepaway Camp.