Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Halloween (film) - 2018

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I’m watching Cinemassacre/AVGN’s YouTube video review of the entire Halloween series and he pointed out a little piece of trivia that I found interesting....

So just about everyone knows that Myers’ mask is actually modified from a Captain Kirk(William Shatner) mask from Star Trek. However, he pointed out the following screen cap and the fact that it’s quite possible that the mask was created using Shatner’s head mold from a movie called “The Devil’s Rain”:

As you can see, there are some similar expressions/features. It’s kind of a silly and useless piece of information, but I enjoy that type of trivia and thought I’d share.

EDIT:

He also points out that they apparently copied the Pink Panther film titles for sequels 4 through 6. Return of Michael Myers, Revenge of Michael Myers, and Curse of Michael Myers = Return of The Pink Panther, Revenge of The Pink Panther, and Curse of the Pink Panther.
    Last edited by bassman; 14-Jun-2018 at 02:53 AM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

UK
    haha, I hadn't noticed that title comparison before.

Yep. That Shatner effect in the image does look quite familiar around the eyes and brow, doesn't it? I'd assumed it was some halloween mask that had been adapted, or perhaps a commercially available Shatner mask was made from that particular mold?

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    haha, I hadn't noticed that title comparison before.

Yep. That Shatner effect in the image does look quite familiar around the eyes and brow, doesn't it? I'd assumed it was some halloween mask that had been adapted, or perhaps a commercially available Shatner mask was made from that particular mold?
    It was a commercially available mask, I think AVGN’s point was that while the commercial mask was marketed as a Star Trek/Captain Kirk product, there are some signs pointing to the sculpt of the mask actually originating from Shatner’s Head cast from that movie, “The Devil’s Rain”.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I’ve always liked Cinemassacre and Angry Video Game Nerd, so I thought I’d share this short video they posted today, addressing the multiple timelines, titles, and many deaths/resurrections of the franchise:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tpc7eYkVmXk

Super Moderator

UK
    haha, excellent and to the point video there from Cinemassacre, funny too.

Although I quite like Rob Zombie's Halloween II ... I know it has a boatload of problems, but the Director's Cut is superior (same with the Director's Cut of the 2007 remake), and there's many things I love about it to balance out the things I really don't like about it. However, I'm a big fan of the 2007 remake. I know it goes in a very different direction in some regards, but I like that it didn't just do a step-by-step retreat of JC's (superior, natch) original. LouCipherr hasn't been on the boards for quite a while, but I talk with him every now and then via email and I always tease him about how much I love RZ's Halloween II, hehe.

I don't actually love that film, but I do enjoy it quite a bit despite it's numerous flaws.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

Ah, yes! I also remember Lou’s raging hatred for Zombie’s remake quite well. Like you, I enjoy the remake and feel like it works well on it’s own if the viewer can detach themselves from the history of the original and it’s franchise.

At one point I would claim it’s better than Carpenter’s original and he’d lose his sh*t! Good times.
    Last edited by bassman; 16-Jun-2018 at 11:15 AM. Reason: .

Fresh Meat

Aaland
    Really can't wait to see this movie. The director is back to clear the time line. FYI only 1 episode to catch up with cuz this is set right after the first one.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Haha, I didn't watch the trailer until now. That closet scare at the end actually frightened me. Shame they spoiled it in the trailer.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    Haha, I didn't watch the trailer until now. That closet scare at the end actually frightened me. Shame they spoiled it in the trailer.
    Aye, surprisingly effective. While it didn't scare me (I'm so innured to horror movie scares nowadays), it did make me quite tense. Hopefully they've got a few more such moments in the actual movie, eh?

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    The closet scare was effective, but I felt like the girl tries shutting the door a few too many times before the reveal. Should’ve been pushing the door maybe two times, then the reveal.

Ireland
    It's probably the only effective scare in the whole film.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    haha, excellent and to the point video there from Cinemassacre, funny too.

Although I quite like Rob Zombie's Halloween II ... I know it has a boatload of problems, but the Director's Cut is superior (same with the Director's Cut of the 2007 remake), and there's many things I love about it to balance out the things I really don't like about it. However, I'm a big fan of the 2007 remake. I know it goes in a very different direction in some regards, but I like that it didn't just do a step-by-step retreat of JC's (superior, natch) original. LouCipherr hasn't been on the boards for quite a while, but I talk with him every now and then via email and I always tease him about how much I love RZ's Halloween II, hehe.

I don't actually love that film, but I do enjoy it quite a bit despite it's numerous flaws.
    Dude, I love Rob Zombie's versions. I don't go around claiming they are amazing because I know Rob's films aren't for everyone, but I personally love Rob's style.

Reminds me of Romero where he always uses the same actors for his films. With the exception of constantly using his wife, I dig seeing old school cinema guys like William Forsythe, Tom Towels, and Ken Foree in modern stuff.

My man unearthed Austin Stoker from Assault on Precinct 13th for his latest flick haha.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    Dude, I love Rob Zombie's versions. I don't go around claiming they are amazing because I know Rob's films aren't for everyone, but I personally love Rob's style.

Reminds me of Romero where he always uses the same actors for his films. With the exception of constantly using his wife, I dig seeing old school cinema guys like William Forsythe, Tom Towels, and Ken Foree in modern stuff.

My man unearthed Austin Stoker from Assault on Precinct 13th for his latest flick haha.
    Have you seen "31"? It's, to be honest, not that good. Feels like a rushed and half-finished idea pulled from a drawer because money fell through on another project (I'd have really liked to see RZ's Broadstreet Bullies movie, or T-Rex, or indeed the Groucho movie he wants to make). Although, there are parts of it that I like - I enjoyed the protagonists quite a bit - but the movie does have an oppressively aggressive vibe to it, so it's not exactly a 'fun' watch. I'd say it's his weakest movie.

However, I've got high hopes for "3 From Hell". It seems as if the coppers who gunned down the Firefly family didn't kill them, but have kept them alive to face trial, and certain screenshots suggest the trio have become some sort of folk heroes (akin to what happened in the whirlwind around Ted Bundy during his trial, perhaps). So I'm really looking forward to that movie.

But yeah, I'm likewise a big fan of RZ's style and films. House of 1000 Corpses, The Devil's Rejects, Halloween (and my aforementioned soft spot for the flawed H2), The Haunted World of El Superbeasto, The Lords of Salem - I dig 'em. Good to see him using some great character actors (even if they don't make the final cut - Adrienne Barbeau's scene in Halloween was cut out, unfortunately). When he's firing on all cylinders he's got a great eye for the visuals and has some really cool ideas that he plays around with, and doesn't pussyfoot around anything. Like him or not, he's an auteur as you just know when it's an RZ flick.

Looking forward to his new album, as well!

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I don’t know anything about the film other than it’s happening, but he’s really bringing the three back after the events of Devil’s Rejects? It would be easier to accept a prequel to 1000 Corpses or even a film between the two somehow, but after Devil’s Rejects is a bit of a stretch. I also hope it doesn’t retroactively alter my opinion of Rejects, as it’s by far his best film.
    Last edited by bassman; 27-Jun-2018 at 10:40 AM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I don’t know anything about the film other than it’s happening, but he’s really bringing the three back after the events of Devil’s Rejects? It would be easier to accept a prequel to 1000 Corpses or even a film between the two somehow, but after Devil’s Rejects is a bit of a stretch. I also hope it doesn’t retroactively alter my opinion of Rejects, as it’s by far his best film.
    I've only seen what RZ posts on social media regarding it - but the trio are back (likewise for some other favourites - including Danny Trejo's character of Rondo, indeed, I think both bounty hunter characters make a return). There's been a few little teaser images and candid shots of the playback monitor which do suggest them being in custody, as well as protest signs showing support for the trio of killers, which would suggest to me that they've become like folkloric heroes. That chimes with the 70s, what with Manson and Bundy both receiving cult status (with the latter, for instance, women would come from all over America to witness him in-person at the judicial proceedings! Vox pop footage of some of these folks is fascinating to behold.)

So, if this is indeed the case, it'd stand to reason that they survive the big shoot out, just, and the cops decide to take them into custody and nurse them back to health - so they can be tried, convicted, and sentenced to death.

That's my theory at least, but there are a number of folks with similar thoughts considering some of the tidbits we've seen. Let's see how it goes.

Totally off-topic, but anyway...