Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Halloween (film) - 2018

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

Halloween (film) - 2018

John Carpenter is involved with David Gordon Green and Danny McBride in bringing this reboot/sequel to the original Halloween film. Ignoring all the sequels in the past, this will pick up with Jamie Lee Curtis’ character, her daughter, and granddaughter 40 years later. The original “The Shape” actor has also returned.

The mask looks really good, to me. Something that past sequels seemed to stumble with. Although I seriously hope they come up with a more original title before release. We don’t need a third “Halloween” and much like “The Thing” prequel, it screams of laziness and just doesn’t make sense.

Super Moderator

UK
    Ooh, the original Myers actor is back? Nice! That shot of him looming in the liminal space of the cupboard door got me interested ... fingers crossed this turns out well. I really, really hope it does.

I agree. Even if the title had some generic sub-title like "Legacy" or "The Return" would be better than what The Thing 2011 did.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    As I’d predicted in the shout box the other day: trailer for the trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igei8KM2WOY

Tis nice to hear the theme again, though.

Super Moderator

UK
    I f*cking hate trailer-trailers, much like I hate those 'trailer tasters' that run for a few seconds right before the actual bloody trailer. Movie advertisers are the worst.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Yet another. “Tomorrow” trailer for the trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MD1obQ8H-iE

At least this one has real footage, but still silly.

- - - Updated - - -

And finally, the full trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ek1ePFp-nBI

Looks okay, but not sure what to think yet. Laurie is in straight up Sarah Conner mode!

Super Moderator

UK
    Ah, good to see they're gonna release it in October ... rather than, I don't know, friggin' August or something.

I'm certainly intrigued! As you say, hard to get a gauge on it yet, but I'm hopeful.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Just saw this on another forum, made me chuckle. Halloween III Silver Shamrock masks....

United States
    This actually doesn't look too bad. I'm sure I'll watch it eventually.

Ireland
    Looks alright. Probably a bit standard and I'd say that trailer just gave away one of the biggest scare scenes.

But, I'm still uncomfortable about drop kicking all of the Halloween series into the bin. Although I've only really counted 'Halloween II' as the official sequel, as it were.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Ah, good to see they're gonna release it in October ... rather than, I don't know, friggin' August or something.
    Were Rob Zombie’s two Halloween films not released in October?
    Last edited by bassman; 09-Jun-2018 at 03:38 PM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Were Rob Zombie’s two Halloween films not released in October?
    IIRC they were both shoved out in August. The first one ended up doing very well, so the brainiacs figured they'd just do the same again ... but it tanked.

Even still - releasing a movie called Halloween in any other month than October (no matter the box office theory) just seems ludicrous to me, so I'm glad they're releasing this one properly.

Ireland
    Rob Zombie's versions were released in Aug 2007 and 09.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    But, I'm still uncomfortable about drop kicking all of the Halloween series into the bin. Although I've only really counted 'Halloween II' as the official sequel, as it were.
    i'm right there with ya. halloween ii was the perfect sequel in my opinion, and they should have at least figured that one in this current timeline. the others are pretty hit-and-miss for me....but the mythos and timeline has been pretty convoluted over the years and it's good to trim some of the fat i suppose.

kinda interested in seeing this one, and nice to see plenty of nods to the original film. although i do think it's odd michael would be coming after laurie strode after 40 years if you take the family angle out of the equation.
    Last edited by ProfessorChaos; 10-Jun-2018 at 07:00 PM. Reason: .

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    At one point they were saying that this film does indeed take place after Halloween II. I wonder if that was just inaccurate reporting or if the plan changed at some point. But I guess with the inclusion of the “he’s not her brother” dialogue, that does mean that it excludes the second film. It WAS the second film that first introduced the sibling angle, wasn’t it? Forgive me if my memory is off, I own all the films and enjoy them from time to time, but I’m not as deep into it as some.

Super Moderator

UK
    I am a big fan of Halloween II, particularly as it feels so closely linked to the original film. Even if the tone somewhat shifts according the emerging slasher craze of the time, it still has the same look and feel of the original film and they tie it in beautifully.

IIRC Michael flat out dies at the end of Halloween II, though - what with the big fireball explosion that also takes out Loomis. So that'd be tricky to get around! However, do we know for sure whether HII is included (or not included) in the lore of this new one? Perhaps they'll tweak the ending of HII to suit their needs?

As for going back for Laurie? She's the one who got away. Unfinished business. But I did like the subplot of her being related to Michael. It kind of added a bit of extra oomph to her plight and his killer obsession.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 11-Jun-2018 at 10:00 AM.