Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jon Bernthal (Shane) to return?

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

Jon Bernthal (Shane) to return?

THR is reporting that Jon Bernthal, who played Shane in the first two seasons, is set to return for the Ninth Season. No real details on his involvement, but with the strong rumor of Andrew Lincoln’s(Rick) exit from the series, perhaps it’s some type of substantial flashbacks before Rick dies? Interesting...

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...ason-9-1120984

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    THR is reporting that Jon Bernthal, who played Shane in the first two seasons, is set to return for the Ninth Season. No real details on his involvement, but with the strong rumor of Andrew Lincoln’s(Rick) exit from the series, perhaps it’s some type of substantial flashbacks before Rick dies? Interesting...

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...ason-9-1120984
    I thought you meant return for good, and couldn't work that out! But in flashbacks, that could be interesting!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    I'd like to see Shane come back for some flashbacks ... but considering the shit show going on behind-the-scenes, my hype and enjoyment of TWD has been severely hampered.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I’d like to see a little bit more of Shane and Rick’s friendship before the gunshot wound/zombies. The small scene Darabont had in his pilot was great for their relationship and characters. Rick feeling bad about his confusion on the relationship with Lori, and Shane talking about “every other pair of boobs on the planet turning off the light”. Perfectly setting up their characters and relationship.

So yeah, we’ve seen just about all the stuff post-shootout, so I’d like to see Rick thinking back on his life which would include Shane. If that’s the case, I could see them getting Lori back too.

United States
    I saw a photo of him with Lincoln and Reedus at Nick and Norms in "Woodbury". My favorite tv show in history is more than likely killing off my hero and I just don't care about its future. Too wounded.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by facestabber View Post
    I saw a photo of him with Lincoln and Reedus at Nick and Norms in "Woodbury". My favorite tv show in history is more than likely killing off my hero and I just don't care about its future. Too wounded.
    Nicotero and Reedus’ restaurant in Senoia(Woodbury), Nic and Norm’s is kinda cool. Good food and some TWD memorabilia, if anyone ever goes visiting the filming locations.
    Last edited by bassman; 19-Jun-2018 at 09:16 PM. Reason: .

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    People are still watching this?
    I haven't seen anything past the mid-season break in Season 3.
    I hated almost all of the characters. Does it get any better or at they all still unlikeable idiots?

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    People are still watching this?
    I haven't seen anything past the mid-season break in Season 3.
    I hated almost all of the characters. Does it get any better or at they all still unlikeable idiots?
    Well I don't think you'd ever be satisfied by the show, so there's little point in you returning to it I'd imagine.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    It’s had good bits here and there throughout the eight seasons, but none of them have lived up to Darabont’s pilot episode. My interest has faded more and more over the years, but I did feel like the ending to Season Eight was a good “ending” for the show at a certain point. I won’t get into the reasons why because of spoilers, but it definitely felt like it should have been the series finale.

So when this new season airs, I’ll eventually watch them out of curiosity, but the show lost the majority of it’s “spark” a while back and if these new episodes don’t work, I’ll just go back to considering Season Eight as the end of the story.
    Last edited by bassman; 20-Jun-2018 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Typo

United States
    I feel mostly the same, except I thought that the Season 8 finale was a bit of a let down and a cop out. After all of the drawn out hype and build up, the "war" was over in just minutes.

With all of the changes that are being made, I wish that they had just called that the end of the series. Maybe they'll prove me wrong, but I really don't see it being worth a shit from here on out. I've invested this much time already, so I keep watching 'till the end, though.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by beat_truck View Post
    I feel mostly the same, except I thought that the Season 8 finale was a bit of a let down and a cop out. After all of the drawn out hype and build up, the "war" was over in just minutes.
    I felt like it was a series finale not so much because of the ending of the war or where the characters ended up physically, but more because of the place Rick ends up in more of a mental sense, or his character arc. Without getting into spoilers, it was more of Rick’s journey and struggle coming to an end, being at peace, and realizing who it is that he really needs to be. That shot of Rick and young Carl walking up the dirt road could have worked as a perfect final shot for the series.

But of course....I say that Rick came to where he needs to be mentally, but we all know that will likely change with the first episode of Season Nine because of the way they’ve had his mental stability flip flop back and forth throughout the show’s run....

United States
    Yeah, my excitement level is super low that even if my favorite character is returning for an episode I just can't get excited. All the drama is killing me.

Large time skip and most the characters still look the same. That's pretty disappointing. *Looking at you Daryl*

I really hope they just write all new material and forget about following the comic. I really dislike everything past Alpha.

They should replicate the opening scene with Rick and Shane in the car like how the pilot opened. That would be cool for a sendoff for Rick.

Also, blame AMC for the bad All Out War; especially the small scale finale. Budget cut; cheap bastards.
    Last edited by Moon Knight; 21-Jun-2018 at 01:38 AM. Reason: AMC sucks
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Super Moderator

UK
    If AMC wants to spend less on TWD ... how about they trim the episode count to 10 instead of 16? No room for filler, and you've got six fewer episodes to shell out for.

However, AMC have made so many behind the scenes mistakes with the show, or put it through the wringer so much, that it's too late now.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    If AMC wants to spend less on TWD ... how about they trim the episode count to 10 instead of 16? No room for filler, and you've got six fewer episodes to shell out for.

However, AMC have made so many behind the scenes mistakes with the show, or put it through the wringer so much, that it's too late now.
    That would be perfect. But, thinking about it, season 2 was shorter and they still found a way to add filler. What I don’t get is we essentially used to get 8 episode arcs, how they seem to need filler for an 8 episode story is beyond me.

And that’s why 7 and 8 suffererd so much. They didn’t follow that path and we basically had a story that ran 32 episodes. That’s how you lose viewers.
    Last edited by Moon Knight; 21-Jun-2018 at 03:09 PM. Reason: Hey
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    That would be perfect. But, thinking about it, season 2 was shorter and they still found a way to add filler. What I don’t get is we essentially used to get 8 episode arcs, how they seem to need filler for an 8 episode story is beyond me.

And that’s why 7 and 8 suffererd so much. They didn’t follow that path and we basically had a story that ran 32 episodes. That’s how you lose viewers.
    Ah, but Season 2 was an increase in episodes over the mere six episodes of Season 1. So they were having to more than double their output (with the added pressure of 2x01 actually being two episodes worth cut together, IIRC). As such, the first half of season 2 suffered from filler, but the back half felt much steadier on its feet. Season 3 saw the smaller jump up to 16 episodes per season (two doses of eight) that we continue to have to this day. Even then it was, objectively, a bit much. 12 - or preferably 10 in one dose - would have been the smartest way to go.

I know what you mean, with season 7 and 8 we moved into a different structure somewhat. Season 6 had a clear line drawn about mid-way (although the epic invasion of Alexandria was split across the mid-season break), but even still, 6b had a clear path to follow in introducing The Hilltop and setting up The Saviours with the clear end point being the introduction of Negan.

The problems arose with Season 7's structure as well as storytelling style and pace for various reasons I've spoken of at length elsewhere. Season 8 improved certain faults, but then continued others while introducing new ones ... frankly, that death in Season 8 is proving to be a big mistake because of the behind the scenes ramifications. The fallout from it behind the camera is screwing things up in front of the camera. Angela Kang has unfortunately been handed a poisoned chalice, or an incredibly tough job. Gimple should have been moved aside prior to Season 8, Kang should have come on then, and you-know-who never should have been killed off.