Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Child’s Play Remake

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

Child’s Play Remake

Collider is reporting that a remake of Child’s Play is on the way, written by Tyler Burton Smith(Kung Fury) and directed by Lars Klevberg. No word if Brad Dourif will again voice Chucky, but it’s likely that they’ll go with someone new.

http://collider.com/childs-play-rebo...-it-producers/

Not long ago, series creator Don Mancini said he was developing a Chucky TV series, but apparently this new film is not connected with that. I personally enjoyed Mancini’s recent Curse and Cult of Chucky, so I’m a bit surprised they’re doing a remake without him. They were a bit cheesy, but were quite fun.

Super Moderator

UK
    Likewise surprised at a remake, considering the recent sequels (both of which were pretty darn good). Seems a bit strange, if you ask me.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I’ve just now seen on another forum that apparently Mancini owns the character of Chucky, while MGM owns the rights to Child’s Play? So that could mean that this remake would feature the basic story of the original, but with something other than Chucky??

That could also help explain how Mancini is concurrently producing his TV show that continues the original series.
    Last edited by bassman; 04-Jul-2018 at 11:36 AM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I’ve just now seen on another forum that apparently Mancini owns the character of Chucky, while MGM owns the rights to Child’s Play? So that could mean that this remake would feature the basic story of the original, but with something other than Chucky??

That could also help explain how Mancini is concurrently producing his TV show that continues the original series.
    That makes sense ... but Childs Play without Chucky? That doesn't make sense!

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    It really doesn’t seem like a solid plan, if they’re indeed going that route. Perhaps they’re going with a different kind of doll possession or generic horror film and leaving the Charles Lee Ray/Chucky story for Mancini’s further use? After all, I’ve noticed that ever since the release of “Bride of Chucky”, most people have basically forgotten that the series began with the title of “Child’s Play”.

Nowadays everyone just calls them the Chucky films, so maybe their plan is to take the Child’s Play name and craft something new entirely? Not the best of plans to abandon the series’ most recognizable character, but they may have no choice because of the licensing rights.
    Last edited by bassman; 04-Jul-2018 at 06:37 PM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Nowadays everyone just calls them the Chucky films, so maybe their plan is to take the Child’s Play name and craft something new entirely? Not the best of plans to abandon the series’ most recognizable character, but they may have no choice because of the licensing rights.
    Yeah, it's weird, because the valuable part of that franchise isn't the title "Child's Play", no, the valuable part of that franchise is Chucky and the recurring characters (or indeed, voices - with Brad Dourif). In the most recent couple the kid from the original movie returned as an adult (the same actor as well IIRC).

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Bloody-disgusting got some confirmation on a few big things:

- Mancini not involved and refused executive producer credit
    - No Brad Dourif
    - Doll will indeed be named "Chucky"
    - Doll comes to life through an A.I that malfunctions
    - Mancini and Dourif are both committed to the TV series, as well as future sequels continuing the established franchise, and this remake doesn’t effect those at all.

http://bloody-disgusting.com/tv/3507...ent-exclusive/
    Last edited by bassman; 06-Jul-2018 at 02:17 PM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

UK
    Rogue A.I., eh? Hmmm...

Still seems pretty pointless, to be honest.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Rogue A.I., eh? Hmmm...

Still seems pretty pointless, to be honest.
    Just like 95% of the other remakes out there. This will probably be another watered down CGI shit fest.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    First look at the new Chicky:

Looks similar enough, I suppose. I’m still much more interested in Mancini’s efforts.

Super Moderator

UK
    Hmmmm ... I've never been a big fan of the Chucky films, although interested enough to watch them all and enjoy a fair few of them as well. Likewise, I'm more interested in Mancini's new entries in the series as it's all part of the original thread, as it were.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    While the remake has continued production and on it’s way, Don Mancini’s proposed TV series that will continue the story of the original films has been picked up by SyFy after a bidding war between multiple networks.

In talking about taking the franchise in a bold, new direction, Mancini remaked, “I’ve long wanted to bring Chucky to television and Syfy is the perfect network for us,” said the Chucky co-creator. “The show will be a fresh take on the franchise, allowing us to explore Chucky’s character with a depth that is uniquely afforded by the television series format, while staying true to the original vision that has terrorized audiences for over three decades now.”
    As I believe I mentioned earlier in the thread, I’ve enjoyed Mancini’s last two Chucky films, Curse and Cult, so I’m excited to see what ideas they can explore in an episodic story. I’m much more interested in this continuation than the remake, that’s for sure.

https://www.joblo.com/movie-news/syf...ucky-tv-series

The article refers to the series having the simple title of Chucky, which would make sense, but could always change.

I wonder if Brad Dourif’s daughter, Fiona will be one of the main characters of the series? I really enjoyed her performance in the last two films, and if you’ve seen those, you know that it would make the most sense for her character to return at least in some way.
    Last edited by bassman; 29-Jan-2019 at 06:49 PM. Reason: .

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

Super Moderator

UK
    Yeah ... not really feeling this much. I'll probably give it a squizz at some point ... but ... meh.

Rising

United States
    Yet another crappy and unnecessary "remake"... BIG ***YAWN!***