Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Creepshow (TV Series)

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    It's the monster that you'd most need to continue one of the established stories, not the human characters really. All the famous slasher movie killers are testament to that. So you could have another story with that killer oil slick, for instance ... but I also wouldn't want them to just lean on what came before a whole bunch, either.
    It's not as interesting and hoped for if it does not involve any of the relevant original human characters whose story was left "unfinished". For example, I would not be nearly as interested in seeing what does the vengeful wooden Indian of Creepshow 2 or the alien plant plague of Creepshow do next to some other humans than if some of the main human characters of the original story had managed to survive and then we get to see what happens to them next in a sequel. Would a sequel to, say, John Carpenter's The Thing, for example, be as interesting if it did not involve MacReady and Childs, the only two surviving humans? No, I don't think it would. All the stories in the Creepshow movies had their "closure". We got to see what happened to all the relevant human characters, who ended up dead and were not able to escape the monsters that tormented them. Except The Crate. Here we were left with two surviving main human characters thinking they had solved the "monster problem" they got involved in, but we then see that they actually did not. This screams "SEQUEL!"
    Last edited by JDP; 26-Jul-2019 at 04:40 PM. Reason: ;

Aaland
    I could only see sequels made to the stories about primitive killing machines who have no real goal to accomplish. The monsters who were on a revenge mission accomplished their goal and have no reason to return.
    My comic store Creepy and funny comics for sale.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Skinrash View Post
    I could only see sequels made to the stories about primitive killing machines who have no real goal to accomplish. The monsters who were on a revenge mission accomplished their goal and have no reason to return.
    Yep, makes sense.

Also, if you were having any original characters, you'd have to recast seeing as the originating actors are now either far older than they once were - or they're dead.

I will enjoy seeing any actors from the originals return but in a different role.

Do we know if this show is set in the present day or in the 1980s?

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Do we know if this show is set in the present day or in the 1980s?
    I’m not certain if Nicotero has specifically stated, but I imagine there will be varying time frames depending on the individual segments. For example, there’s a section with a German Nazi base, then there are also certain shots that appear to be set during present day.

Aaland
    Yep, makes sense.

Also, if you were having any original characters, you'd have to recast seeing as the originating actors are now either far older than they once were - or they're dead.
    Yeah, that is a problem you have to deal with if you are gonna continue The Crate. Whereas with Lonesome Death and The Raft you could just introduce a new set of victims since all the original characters died.
    My comic store Creepy and funny comics for sale.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Skinrash View Post
    Yeah, that is a problem you have to deal with if you are gonna continue The Crate. Whereas with Lonesome Death and The Raft you could just introduce a new set of victims since all the original characters died.
    Even with The Crate, you could just have it that the crate ends up somewhere else and causes havoc, even referencing past events from the first movie. You could continue it that way as, really, The Crate and "Fluffy" are the vital components. You can't have a story about the crate without 1) the crate, and 2) fluffy ... but you can have another story without the original human characters.

Rising

United States
    Even with The Crate, you could just have it that the crate ends up somewhere else and causes havoc, even referencing past events from the first movie. You could continue it that way as, really, The Crate and "Fluffy" are the vital components. You can't have a story about the crate without 1) the crate, and 2) fluffy ... but you can have another story without the original human characters.
    Again, not as interesting. We've already seen that creature and what it does. It would just be more of the same, but with other human characters. Kind of pointless. That's not really what the Creepshow vignettes are about. Ideally, they should not have any "sequel", they should be self-contained tales, begin and end in the same episode. That's how this type of anthology stories are. In the case of The Crate, though, a sequel is justified since there was no closure to the story. The two survivors think they have gotten rid of the monster, but they actually did not. We are left wondering what could happen next with the two survivors and the monster on the loose. Will they somehow end up encountering the monster again, or maybe it will seek them out on purpose to exact his revenge on them? A sequel would have a purpose here.

As for recasting: it goes without saying that the two survivors have to be recast. Holbrook is too old and Weaver is dead. Fans will understand the necessity of this.

Super Moderator

UK
    Who has seen the first episode?

I watched it last night and enjoyed it.

The 'look' of the show (down to the camera, I'd think) is a bit 'cheap' looking at times (that HD digital look of a few years back creeps in from time-to-time), and you can see they're working to a budget with very contained stories, but at the same time many of the original Creepshow stories were fairly 'contained' to a limited number of locations.

Adrienne Barbeau stole the whole episode for me. It was great to see her again - and that look of horror she gives as the penny begins to drop was just top notch.

The first story has a kind of The Thing/The Blob meets alcoholism vibe about it (note the tallying up that Adrienne does later on). The payoff had some pretty nifty effects work - very gross!

The second story was a neat twist on the haunted house idea and featured the girl who plays Judith Grimes, so that was fun. The wraparounds with the comic books - and particularly the practical puppet 'Creep' were quite enjoyable as well.

There were a bunch of nods and winks scattered about. I caught a fair few, but can't recall them all off the top of my head. I saw things like a reference to "The Grady Twins" ("The Shining") and a toy of a red 1958 Plymouth Fury ("Christine").

Looking forward to the next episode!

Administrator

England
    ^ What did you watch it on? A UK channel or via an eye patch occupation?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Twitching

Undisclosed
    I spied Cujo on the missing dogs posters.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    ^ What did you watch it on? A UK channel or via an eye patch occupation?

Quote Originally Posted by Rottedfreak View Post
    I spied Cujo on the missing dogs posters.
    Ah, yes! That was one of the others I spotted, too. It was fun to catch the various nods and winks.

Ooh - plus there was a miniature 'crate' in the doll house attic.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I had no idea that the pilot is already available! Loading that one up ASAP!

Feels like 2010 when Darabont’s TWD pilot “leaked” weeks in advance. Good times.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I had no idea that the pilot is already available! Loading that one up ASAP!

Feels like 2010 when Darabont’s TWD pilot “leaked” weeks in advance. Good times.
    Erm, I think the six episodes have started officially, is the thing? Not a leak?

Ireland
    So, not bad. But not brilliant either. Unfortunately I knew the King story as I'd read it years ago and the CGI at the end was a bit of a letdown. The second story was more entertaining, but had an awful ending. But, probably one that befits the "comic" nature the show is trying for.

Glad the Cryptkeeper didn't talk.

All in all though, an ok start.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Unfortunately I knew the King story as I'd read it years ago and the CGI at the end was a bit of a letdown.
    Uh-oh, I was afraid of that. The abuse of CGI has been ruining a lot of stuff in movies and TV shows.