Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Season Nine Trailer

United States
    Going by the trailer there is in fact two big time jumps.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    Going by the trailer there is in fact two big time jumps.
    Oh aye? How so? I know we've had a timejump of around about a year since 8x16, but a second time jump? Where did you spot that? Colour me intrigued!

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Oh aye? How so? I know we've had a timejump of around about a year since 8x16, but a second time jump? Where did you spot that? Colour me intrigued!
    The last section of the season trailers are always reserved for the last few episodes of the first half. We see Gabriel with a clean shaven face for most of the trailer. In the last few minutes after the date reveal we are introduced to Magna and her group. During this section Gabriel had a full goatee. Also, this was Rick in the source material and with Rick gone they slid Gabriel in this spot; welcoming our new characters to the group via the interview. And when Eugene and Rosita come across the Whisperers in the final moments you can see Eugene using a cane when earlier in the trailer he did not.

So in short, the first six is Rick and Maggie’s arc, the last couple we jump time again and introduce the new survivors and the Whisperers.

As you may recall, Magna and her group introduce us to The New Beginnning arc after the time skip. I believe this is happening after Rick is gone and time has once again passed; giving us a look at how life in Alexandria is after Rick.
    Last edited by Moon Knight; 24-Jul-2018 at 06:31 AM. Reason: Yumiko!
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Super Moderator

UK
    The last section of the season trailers are always reserved for the last few episodes of the first half. We see Gabriel with a clean shaven face for most of the trailer. In the last few minutes after the date reveal we are introduced to Magna and her group. During this section Gabriel had a full goatee. Also, this was Rick in the source material and with Rick gone they slid Gabriel in this spot; welcoming our new characters to the group via the interview. And when Eugene and Rosita come across the Whisperers in the final moments you can see Eugene using a cane when earlier in the trailer he did not.

So in short, the first six is Rick and Maggie’s arc, the last couple we jump time again and introduce the new survivors and the Whisperers.

As you may recall, Magna and her group introduce us to The New Beginnning arc after the time skip. I believe this is happening after Rick is gone and time has once again passed; giving us a look at how life in Alexandria is after Rick.
    Ahh, good catch on Gabriel's beard situation.

Although I believe that what Eugene tosses down into the mud seems to be a spade rather than a cane (look at the handle, and if you watch very closely you can see the light catch the metal of the spade head).

TWD without Rick still bums me out big time.

I wonder how/why Lincoln's departure came about - what was the big push for it? The way that Chandler Riggs was treated? Some corporate exec pinching pennies? A combination? I can't imagine the writers would seek to kill off Rick by choice, but I can easily picture some corporate bozo passing the order down the line and then the writers have to figure out how to handle it as best they can.

United States
    It also really pisses me off that they are letting Andrew Lincoln leave (not to mention Chandler Riggs), but they paid out a butt load of money to keep Norman Reedus on just so he can grunt once in a while and look greasy. Forget the story, gotta keep the moronic Daryl fan boys and girls happy.

United States

Although I believe that what Eugene tosses down into the mud seems to be a spade rather than a cane (look at the handle, and if you watch very closely you can see the light catch the metal of the spade head).

I wonder how/why Lincoln's departure came about - what was the big push for it? The way that Chandler Riggs was treated? Some corporate exec pinching pennies? A combination? I can't imagine the writers would seek to kill off Rick by choice, but I can easily picture some corporate bozo passing the order down the line and then the writers have to figure out how to handle it as best they can.

Regarding Lincolns departure. I'm sure there are multiple factors and IMO the way Riggs was told he would be a part of the shows future and then months later Gimple told him Carl's gonna die, was probably the icing on the cake. Lincoln doesn't seem to be the type that will sling mud while his friends are still on a show that I believe he still cares about. After the show finally ends I'm sure there will be a tell all book where the cast fills us in on some shady shit. Let's face it, this show has had controversy from the start. AMC slashing the budget right off the bat going into season 2.

United States
    Lincoln already addressed all that. He went to Gimple back in season 4 and addressed his desire on leaving. He said they knew going in he couldn’t play a character on a tv show that basically has a unlimited shelf life in the comic. So there we have it. It’s been in motion for quite some time.

http://https://www.google.com/amp/comicbook.com/thewalkingdead/amp/2018/07/21/the-walking-dead-andrew-lincoln-deciding-to-leave/

Links never work for me, perhaps one of the fine mods here can hook it up.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 24-Jul-2018 at 04:21 PM. Reason: Link

Super Moderator

UK
    After The Walking Dead's panel, ComicBook.com attended a press conference with the show's stars and producers, and Lincoln was asked about his decision to leave the series, particularly when he started thinking about his exit.

"Well nine years I was thinking about it because that's where we live," Lincoln joked. "But I suppose it was a lot to do with the conversation that Scott and I had a few years ago, maybe in Season 4, about the shape and finding a way to complete something that was never going to be completed and not disturbing the mothership. There was a certain sense that the story has been a man waking up and you experience this world through this one man's eyes and then it opens up into the extended family. Now, what's exciting for me is that the narrative is being freed up from the beginning of the season. You'll see in the trailer, it's a different tone. It feels like the show I always thought that we would head toward from the time we wrapped the pilot. So yeah, in short, it was something that I starting to think about as my children got older and less portable."

Lincoln is obviously referring to the finality of the show versus that of the comic book, which will likely continue running long after the TV series comes to a close. With no end in sight, the show had to find some way to bring Rick's story to a close, and it looks like that will finally happen in Season 9.
    I was watching the fan Q&A bit of the panel and he addressed this family aspect a bit as well. This is part and parcel of the trouble with a long running show, the actors and everyone else making it have real lives going on, so it should be taken into account from the get-go. The trouble with TWD is that it just keeps going on and on - the likes of Kirkman and Gimple cheerily saying it could go on for hundreds more issues/twenty-plus seasons has always rankled me.

Another interesting bit in that Q&A portion was JDM's response to Carl being killed off - clearly he thought he was going to get to play more of the Negan/Carl stuff, but that didn't happen and, albeit with a cheery tone, labelled Rigg's/Carl's departure as "abrupt" (but you could hear a layer of sarcasm beneath it all, as in he wasn't chuffed with Carl getting dispatched).

As we've already said, if at least Carl was still alive then you'd have a whole expansive arc there to see the son inherit his father's deeds - that would have been fascinating to see, and almost like a King passing his kingdom onto his heir ... ... so much for that!

Interesting that they have been aware of this notion that Lincoln couldn't keep playing the character forever, but curious that they rarely dared to mention such a thing for all these years, and galling that they didn't think more about it and allowed it to just kind of stumble to this point rather than really writing towards this point - keeping Carl alive to inherit Rick's world.

United States
    Thanks, MZ.

I would have liked if Carl stuck around. I guess they weren’t confident with his acting to help carry the show.

Norman also debunked the rumors of his 20 million dollar pay raise and said no one is going to take over after Andy.

United States
    Lincoln already addressed all that. He went to Gimple back in season 4 and addressed his desire on leaving. He said they knew going in he couldn’t play a character on a tv show that basically has a unlimited shelf life in the comic. So there we have it. It’s been in motion for quite some time.

http://https://www.google.com/amp/comicbook.com/thewalkingdead/amp/2018/07/21/the-walking-dead-andrew-lincoln-deciding-to-leave/

Links never work for me, perhaps one of the fine mods here can hook it up.
    Understandable regarding Lincoln. But the question still exists as to why now? I don't think we will get that answer for quite some time. I think there are many variables. Was he bored? Does he see the decline in the story? After Carl's death he stated that he was struggling to find what Rick Grimes motivation was now that Lori and Carl were gone(no disrespect to Judith)haha. Not arguing Moon just very curious what all is involved. Boy do I hope he disappears ala Heath so the capacity to return, even at the very end, exists.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by facestabber View Post
    Understandable regarding Lincoln. But the question still exists as to why now? I don't think we will get that answer for quite some time. I think there are many variables. Was he bored? Does he see the decline in the story? After Carl's death he stated that he was struggling to find what Rick Grimes motivation was now that Lori and Carl were gone(no disrespect to Judith)haha. Not arguing Moon just very curious what all is involved. Boy do I hope he disappears ala Heath so the capacity to return, even at the very end, exists.
    No, it’s a good question, dude, no worries. I’m assuming “The New Beginning” arc was the best possible time to do it. A big time jump and a fresh start for the show. Also, at this point, it’s closing in to an entire decade of working on the show. You can tell Andy loves his cast and crew and the fans in general. Doubt it was anything malicious behind the scenes.

He also said because he’s going doesn’t necessarily means he dies. Don’t know how much I believe that, but why give the fans such false hope? We’ll see. I’m really intrigued and bummed at the same time. Bitter sweet.

Super Moderator

UK
    At the very least I want Rick to leave the show alive so he can come back for the end. But then what about poor little Judith?

Rising

United States
    At the very least I want Rick to leave the show alive so he can come back for the end. But then what about poor little Judith?
    Maybe he takes her with him wherever he ends up going. One would suppose that if given a choice, he would not abandon his daughter.

United States
    I think the fans absolutely deserve this. We started this ride with Rick Grimes. Fans tuned in because they became invested in Rick. If they kill him, it's not necessary or forgiveable.

United States
    Maybe Rick, Judith, Maggie, and Maggie’s baby all leave together? Doesn’t make sense but with Rick AND Maggie only appearing in the first six something is up.