Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Season Nine Trailer

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    Maybe Rick, Judith, Maggie, and Maggie’s baby all leave together? Doesn’t make sense but with Rick AND Maggie only appearing in the first six something is up.
    Hmmm ... that's an intriguing idea!

Ireland
    I think a good way to have it, for Rick to leave, maybe to go and look for another group or something.

Killing him off will absolutely kill the show stone dead.

Keeping him alive gives everyone the chance to patch up whatever it is that kicked off this bailing desire from Lincoln. I don't quite believe the smokescreen that's been put out and I'm too long in the tooth to simply buy any damage limitation stories. Something is very wrong behind the scenes here and over the years there has been plenty of evidence that AMC's handling of the people involved with the show has been less than stellar, shall we say.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

United States
    The way I see it, there are many factors concerning Rick’s character arc for season 9.

I believe Gabriel and Anne will play a part somehow. Lots of promo images show Gabriel and Anne together and so did the trailer. Looks like Anne also goes back to her junkyard for some business. Having Gabriel in comic Rick’s position welcoming in the new characters is also very telling on Gabriel’s new position within Alexandria after the big time jump.

The helicopter. Again, with Anne, we see the helicopter make another appearance. Is that why Anne goes back to the junkyard? The same symbol on the can of food she was eating last season was also on the helicopter in the trailer; as well as that damn letter A. The copter was also on the official season 9 Poster.

Not to mention we first see the Helicopter for the first time last season through Rick’s eyes. Somehow, they will all be connected.

Perhaps somehow something happens to Maggie and Rick is to blame? Rick leaves on the whirley bird soon after? Will Rick’s story continue on the long rumored movie??

Ok, that last one was a bit much.
    Last edited by Moon Knight; 25-Jul-2018 at 07:28 PM. Reason: Movie time!
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Ryan Hurst(Sons of Anarchy, Bates Motel) has been cast as Beta. Fans of the comics know that this means The Whisperers arc is coming to the show soon.

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/sons...r-season-9-113
    Last edited by bassman; 28-Aug-2018 at 02:30 PM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

UK
    The Whisperers arc was a bit iffy in the comics, so I really hope Kang & Co strip out the nonsense and inject some reality into it so it makes better sense. I don't want another Heapsters, in other words.

I seem to recall recently reading a quote from Lauren Cohan that seemed to suggest that when Maggie leaves TWD it won't be by death ... intriguing.

Super Moderator

UK
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wB8Ipb4-YHg

A new promo with a bunch of new shots of their new world being built. "Rick Grimes' final episodes" as they say ... they really never should have killed off Carl now. *sigh*

Anyway - the Rick Grimes situation aside (hopefully he doesn't die, but somehow disappears along with Maggie for unknown reasons - that way they can both return when the show wraps up), I am very interested to see what Angela Kang & Co are going to do with the post-AOW & post-time-jump setting.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 12-Sep-2018 at 08:01 PM.

Being Attacked

Undisclosed
    I don't think they had the time jump planned out for this season when they wrote season 8. I suspect one of the main reasons they killed off Carl was because Chandler was aging out of the part.

And then Andrew decides he wants to leave the show so they decide to do a time jump, which pretty much eliminates the need to worry about Chandler aging too quickly.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Suicycho View Post
    I don't think they had the time jump planned out for this season when they wrote season 8. I suspect one of the main reasons they killed off Carl was because Chandler was aging out of the part.

And then Andrew decides he wants to leave the show so they decide to do a time jump, which pretty much eliminates the need to worry about Chandler aging too quickly.
    The time jump was part of the comics after All Out War, IIRC the length of time was even longer in the comics. So it was always in the pipeline, especially as we need to see a clear difference between the first few post-AOW weeks (glimpsed in TWD 8x16 and FearTWD 4x01) and then how they have rebuilt their little cluster of villages, for lack of a better term, in the long-term wake of AOW.

They could have done more/longer time jumps throughout the previous seven seasons but didn't, so I don't think Riggs' ageing had anything to do with it. They'd written towards his growing as a young man into the scripts, and really leaned into that in seasons 7 and 8.

The death of Carl served one purpose - to cover up a plot logic gap a mile wide in the comics: having Rick convert from wanting to kill Negan to wanting to incarcerate him and find a different and better way forward (unlike in previous battles where it had simply been "just kill 'em". It's all part of a re-evolution of civilisation post-ZA, so they go from savage ways to more civilised ways (hence Negan's imprisonment). However, now that Rick is leaving the death of Carl seems very much like a stupid move (more so with the rumours of behind the scenes troubles, which smacked of some high up corporate exec seeing only numbers on their iPad instead of having any ounce of understanding for the narrative, the audience, or the cast & crew).

Now, they could have found a better way to resolve that logic gap from the comics without killing Carl, but some lucky sods in another dimension have got that version. Indeed, I'm excited to see how the show feels with a new showrunner and I'd argue that Gimple moved aside one season too late.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 06-Oct-2018 at 03:31 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Honestly, it’s sad just how little I care or anticipate this show now. I want it to be like the old days where I’m clamorong for any bit of news, but it’s all faded because of the poor handling behind the scenes. And from what I’m hearing around town here in Atlanta, these recent big deaths of Carl and Rick are just the beginning. We might as well consider The Walking Dead, at least in this original incarnation, to be over. In the VERY near future it’s going to be nothing but AMC exploiting the title of TWD.

I’d already considered the end of last season to be a good series finale, and everything I’ve heard since has only solidified that opinion...

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Honestly, it’s sad just how little I care or anticipate this show now. I want it to be like the old days where I’m clamorong for any bit of news, but it’s all faded because of the poor handling behind the scenes. And from what I’m hearing around town here in Atlanta, these recent big deaths of Carl and Rick are just the beginning. We might as well consider The Walking Dead, at least in this original incarnation, to be over. In the VERY near future it’s going to be nothing but AMC exploiting the title of TWD.

I’d already considered the end of last season to be a good series finale, and everything I’ve heard since has only solidified that opinion...
    Its definitely lost its magic. That is sad because IMO the actors never mailed it in. I believe they have given their best efforts but the story just hasn't matched their efforts. Season 1 was just an amazing jolt of greatness. Though short, I was over the moon with anticipation that Season 2 was green lit. IMO the magic hit stratosphere through season 2 and specifically Beside the Dying Fire, when Michonne was introduced and the final shot was the prison looming in the distance. I was out of my mind excited about what this show had become. Between seasons 3, 4, and 5 I felt that power there. Somewhere during 5 and 6 I feel things start to fade a bit. I will start S9 and hope for the best but they are taking my reason for loving this show even beyond Romero's work, Rick Grimes. I know the date which airs his exit and I(feel embarassed to say) have anxiety about watching it.

Super Moderator

UK
    Apparently, in addition to Shane coming back for an appearance in flashback form, we're also going to be getting appearances from Hershel and Sasha - so says Angela Kang. Intriguing!

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Apparently, in addition to Shane coming back for an appearance in flashback form, we're also going to be getting appearances from Hershel and Sasha - so says Angela Kang. Intriguing!
    Where is Tyreese, dammit!
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I won’t be tuning in if they don’t bring abuela back!