Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: James Gunn's firing

Administrator

England
    Have to agree with Dave Bautista's tweet:-

I will do what Im legally obligated to do but @Guardians without @JamesGunn is not what I signed up for. GOTG w/o @JamesGunn just isn’t GOTG. Its also pretty nauseating to work for someone who’d empower a smear campaign by fascists #cybernazis . That’s just how I feel
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/59736/ja...ired-by-disney

Interesting tidbits -
    it turns out Gunn hasn't technically been fired at all. Yet.
    Gunn is apparently still negotiating his final exit from Disney and, at least at the moment, he still works there. The most tantalizing aspect of this anonymously sourced information from THR is that there is allegedly some murmurs that a reconciliation between Gunn and Disney could be still reached. It's unclear whether these are hopes on the side of Gunn’s lawyers or whispers inside the Disney camp, but according to one quoted source, "An end-all verdict hasn’t been issued and conversations with Marvel are still ongoing."
    rival studios are already circling the director – waiting for his Disney deal to seal so they can pick him up instead.

Administrator

England
    Interesting... Hopefully Disney will come to its senses!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    If true, to me this just reads...”okay, so....we didn’t think this through....”. Even still, Disney’s head honcho released an immediate statement saying that Gunn was out, I don’t see him or the company actually backing down and admitting any rushed judgments.
    Last edited by bassman; 11-Aug-2018 at 12:18 AM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    If true, to me this just reads...”okay, so....we didn’t think this through....”. Even still, Disney’s head honcho released an immediate statement saying that Gunn was out, I don’t see him or the company actually backing down and admitting any rushed judgments.
    In itself a silly thing to do. Same old entrenchment, nobody can admit they were wrong (and if they are proved wrong it's head-in-the-sand time or blatant refusal of the facts), and nobody can accept an apology.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Gunn and Disney had some meetings to see if it could be resolved, but Disney decided to stick with their decision. Now Guardians Volume 3 has been put on an indefinite hold while they search for a new director, and possibly a new writer as well, starting from scratch.

Apparently Taika Waititi(Thor Ragnarok) just took a meeting with Marvel last week, though it’s unclear if it was related to Guardians. He’s certainly a logical replacement. Or perhaps they’ll scrap Gunn’s ideas all together and then allow Waititi to make a Guardians/Thor crossover now that those two franchises were combined with great success?

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/prod...ut-on-hold-338
    Last edited by bassman; 25-Aug-2018 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Link

Super Moderator

UK
    Disney made a dumb-shit knee-jerk decision. I'm sure they've had plenty of people work for them who have said - or more importantly done - things that don't uphold their 'family values'. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if there's people working for them right now in some capacity on the filmmaking food chain who have actual convictions for the things Gunn was Tweeting about.

Anyway ... Waititi did an excellent job with Thor 3, so his irreverent style could work quite well, but if they're going to re-script the whole damn thing as well then this is going to be a major production headache for the team, and then you wonder about actor availability and those implications.

The whole thing's a farce.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Disney made a dumb-shit knee-jerk decision. I'm sure they've had plenty of people work for them who have said - or more importantly done - things that don't uphold their 'family values'. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if there's people working for them right now in some capacity on the filmmaking food chain who have actual convictions for the things Gunn was Tweeting about.
    Ever since this started, I’ve been wondering if everyone has forgotten about Robert Downey Jr’s past??? He’s a different person now, like Gunn, but his past isn’t exactly Disney material!

Super Moderator

UK
    Ever since this started, I’ve been wondering if everyone has forgotten about Robert Downey Jr’s past??? He’s a different person now, like Gunn, but his past isn’t exactly Disney material!
    Exactly! The dude had huge problems with the drink and drugs, and the infamous time he woke up in someone else's house (in their kid's bedroom of all places IIRC, having been black-out blotto on whatever he was on at the time). However, Downey is proof positive that people can turn their lives around and change their whole approach to life (and bloody good going for him, too).

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Agreed! Gunn shouldn't be fired! But Disney is being stupid and worrying too much about their self-image, I guess. Boo. Maybe they could get that woman writer back from the first Guardians to work on the third, since she wasn't involved as much in the second. Sorry I forgot her name.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Gunn’s been hired by WB/DC to pen a new Suicide Squad, with the option to direct. It’s probably only an “option” so that they can gauge the fan reactions first...

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Gunn’s been hired by WB/DC to pen a new Suicide Squad, with the option to direct. It’s probably only an “option” so that they can gauge the fan reactions first...
    Nostradamus here. In twenty years time, Suicide Squad 2 will be listed among other "Sequels better than the original" - like Terminator 2, Godfather 2, Empire Strikes back etc. etc.

Super Moderator

UK
    Very good news for the DCEU - fingers crossed that Gunn will also direct.

Now, while the original movie had it's fair share of problems, I still thoroughly enjoyed it - it was very much like a comic book splashed on the screen. The early portion of the film with those condensed introductions to the various squad characters was straight out of the pages of a comic book. The plot needed some work and it's just one of many, many, many superhero movies that has an awful lot of CGI in the climax, but for me it's more than the sum of its variable parts.

However, considering the good work Gunn did with GOTG1 (co-written by Nicole Perlman on the first movie) and GOTG2 (solo writing credit ... although 1 was better than 2, IMHO), this can only be a good thing for Suicide Squad, which is the perfect tonal match for Gunn's style and voice. Hopefully GOTG3 will still use Gunn's script, at least!

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Suicide Squad is the worst of the DCEU films - and all of them are horrible.

Ireland
    They should stop trying to make Suicide Squad a thing.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....