Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Netflix Zombie Apocalypse Series Black Summer

United States
    I agree with kidgloves, I just finished it up and was surprised with how good it was, hard to believe these are the same people who make z nation. Good characters, good storytelling and totally binge worthy.

- - - Updated - - -

I also thought it was nice too see a more realistic view of how most people who have never had military training were useless with guns, very few of those miraculous head shots that happen in most zombie shows.
    D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed
    *spoilers*

Didn’t think much to it.

It did have some great moments... but I just feel that I haven’t seen a modern zombie show that strikes a balance between the characters being totally badass and them being totally and utterly stupid. Even the chase scenes dragged on... simply because they wouldn’t shut a single door behind themselves. It just started getting laughable.

I feel writers, directors and producers are getting too bored with zombies to produce zombie shows. It always resorts to some unrealistic comicesque gang warfare between survivors (the school) or silly planned heist (weird survivor nightclub) to acquire guns so that everyone’s armed to the teeth. As a result the show lacked something compared to the earlier episodes. (I thought the woman getting scammed out of her car in the beginning was a very simple yet awesome scene, as was the diner where the survivors had very few weapons to fend for themselves. In fact, all of the first episode was great!)

England
    Thanks for the heads-up on this... Enjoyed it very much, despite it being the Nike variety.

United States
    It was fun but so many stupid situations. Multiple episodes didn’t even have a single line of dialogue; they pulled it off.

One character was running the entire series and last we saw him was still running.

The school episode was bad but everything else was good to great; including the first episode. Fresh content that was well made.

Not perfect but short and fun.

Really hate the zombies, though.

The finale was kinda idiotic.

One of the best characters turned out to be the most disappointing.

I’m good on a second season.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

England
    This popped up in my recommended list the other day

They're more of the demon variety and runner's but still great. 5 episodes in and im loving the change of period in history. 2nd season has been confirmed
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by kidgloves View Post
    This popped up in my recommended list the other day

They're more of the demon variety and runner's but still great. 5 episodes in and im loving the change of period in history. 2nd season has been confirmed
    Pretty cool, wish I didn't watch it dubbed, though.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    Pretty cool, wish I didn't watch it dubbed, though.
    I watched the first 2 episodes subbed as they were downloads and I usually prefer the native language but the subs were distracting from the action quite badly in this xase. The dubbed version is done really well and looks spectacular in 4k IMHO.
    Last edited by kidgloves; 22-Apr-2019 at 12:26 AM. Reason: Stuff

MY HOME CINEMA

United States
    I watched the first 2 episodes subbed as they were downloads and I usually prefer the native language but the subs were distracting from the action quite badly in this xase. The dubbed version is done really well and looks spectacular in 4k IMHO.
    Dude, what version was that? The Netflix dub was horrible. Voice acting quality took me back to the days of the original PlayStation.

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    Dude, what version was that? The Netflix dub was horrible. Voice acting quality took me back to the days of the original PlayStation.
    It was the Netflix one. Trust me, it was a better experience than the subs. I love the original Monkey so I didn't mind tbh ��

Edit.
    You know you could have switched the subs on and changed the language to Korean on Netflix don't you?
    Last edited by kidgloves; 24-Apr-2019 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Add

MY HOME CINEMA

United States
    It was the Netflix one. Trust me, it was a better experience than the subs. I love the original Monkey so I didn't mind tbh ��

Edit.
    You know you could have switched the subs on and changed the language to Korean on Netflix don't you?
    I really didn’t feel like reading at the time but of course I regretted that decision.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    On you guys’ recommendation, I’m about halfway through Black Summer and enjoying it! Runners have never really been my favorite, but at least their moans and groans sound human and not shrieking dinosaurs! Overall I’m liking the apocalyptic vibe of it all.

In certain ways, this feels more in line with what I was hoping FTWD would be. Admittedly, I’ve only seen the first two seasons of FTWD, so it could have changed, but this satisfied me more with the “beginning of the end” feel. Looking forward to the last episodes!

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    On you guys’ recommendation, I’m about halfway through Black Summer and enjoying it! Runners have never really been my favorite, but at least their moans and groans sound human and not shrieking dinosaurs! Overall I’m liking the apocalyptic vibe of it all.

In certain ways, this feels more in line with what I was hoping FTWD would be. Admittedly, I’ve only seen the first two seasons of FTWD, so it could have changed, but this satisfied me more with the “beginning of the end” feel. Looking forward to the last episodes!
    Their sounds are pretty good and better than screeching nonsense. I just wish they didn’t move so human. I just tell myself it’s more 28 days later than NoTLD and all is right.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Yeah, I’ve also noticed that some of their movements and reactions seem a bit too cognizant for my taste, but that’s really a very minor quibble. They’re definitely more in line with 28 Days Later and Dawn04 but that’s not really a problem, as it seems to be working quite well. One of my biggest runner complaints has always been the immediate change in their vocal chords, so at least this series didn’t go that far with it...

United States
    Yeah, I’ve also noticed that some of their movements and reactions seem a bit too cognizant for my taste, but that’s really a very minor quibble. They’re definitely more in line with 28 Days Later and Dawn04 but that’s not really a problem, as it seems to be working quite well. One of my biggest runner complaints has always been the immediate change in their vocal chords, so at least this series didn’t go that far with it...
    Great observation.

Administrator

England
    Yeh, I remember in the Dawn remake, how on reanimating we'd get contact lenses in, and dinosaur vocal chords in...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan