Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone feel like its time for a 'soft reboot' of Romero's series?

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Also yep. It's an infection/virus movie. To be a zombie movie the beasties need to either actually be dead or there has to be the clear belief that they are dead (the latter is in the instance of voodoo zombies). 28 Days Later's beasties are living people who are infected with a rabies-on-roids virus who then keel over after a few weeks because the body starved to death.
    Exactly.

- - - Updated - - -

At this point since GAR is gone, I would hope that the "Road of the Dead" concept has been scrapped. Has it?

That would truly be an insult to GAR's memory if that atrocity actually somehow got made.

Fresh Meat

Aaland
    Quote Originally Posted by beat_truck View Post
    Exactly.

- - - Updated - - -

At this point since GAR is gone, I would hope that the "Road of the Dead" concept has been scrapped. Has it?

That would truly be an insult to GAR's memory if that atrocity actually somehow got made.
    The last time i checked, no... Unfortunately. Tbh the concept, considering it is coming after his demise, sounds akin to pooping on his grave. A crappy way to continue post-GAR.

How about a real Road of the Dead that follows the Dead Reckoning crew on their journey up north to Canada? I know thats asking too much since these movies never continue with the characters of each previous film, but come on, that sounds more like a "Road" of the Dead movie than that other garbage plot. Might as well call it Dead Days of Thunder.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    28 Days Later is a good movie, but despite what most people believe, it's not really a zombie movie.
    Wrong.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_zombie_films

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls003533694/

Genre's evolve. And if 28 Days Later isn't a zombie film, then neither is Night of the Living Dead. After all; There's no voodooism to be found.
    Last edited by EvilNed; 08-Aug-2018 at 07:18 PM. Reason: czxccxz

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    Wrong.

Genre's evolve. And if 28 Days Later isn't a zombie film, then neither is Night of the Living Dead. After all; There's no voodooism to be found.
    Wrong. The people in that movie are infected, but not dead. As stated before by MZ, for someone to qualify as a "zombie" he/she needs to be dead first.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by nycbsn View Post
    The last time i checked, no... Unfortunately. Tbh the concept, considering it is coming after his demise, sounds akin to pooping on his grave. A crappy way to continue post-GAR.

How about a real Road of the Dead that follows the Dead Reckoning crew on their journey up north to Canada? I know thats asking too much since these movies never continue with the characters of each previous film, but come on, that sounds more like a "Road" of the Dead movie than that other garbage plot. Might as well call it Dead Days of Thunder.
    I would much rather see what happened to those government people in Washington DC that the folks in Day mention and allude to several times and are wondering what in blazes happened to them since communications ceased.

United States
    Wrong.

How am I wrong, exactly? They aren't the dead come back to life, and there is no voodoo involved, either. They are just infected people like MZ said. Not all that much different than having rabies

And, wiki and imdb are both wrong, at least going by the definition of the modern "zombie" that has been around for going on 50 years now.

BTW, more than once, I've found wrong information on IMDB and I am sure there is plenty of wrong information on wikipedia, too.
    Last edited by beat_truck; 08-Aug-2018 at 08:34 PM. Reason: '

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    How am I wrong, exactly? They aren't the dead come back to life, and there is no voodoo involved, either. They are just infected people like MZ said. Not all that much different than having rabies

And, wiki and imdb are both wrong, at least going by the definition of the modern "zombie" that has been around for going on 50 years now.

BTW, more than once, I've found wrong information on IMDB and I am sure there is plenty of wrong information on wikipedia, too.
    Zombie can also be delfined as mindless automaton, which clearly applies here. Also, genres are defined by general consensus, not individual opinions. Enough people apparently think it’s a zombie film to warrants its inclusion on Wiki and IMDb as one. That’s how genres are defined.

There’s no reason not to call it a zombie film.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    Wrong. The people in that movie are infected, but not dead. As stated before by MZ, for someone to qualify as a "zombie" he/she needs to be dead first.

- - - Updated - - -

I would much rather see what happened to those government people in Washington DC that the folks in Day mention and allude to several times and are wondering what in blazes happened to them since communications ceased.
    Yes! And to tie it to Day you could have a story about Washington team traveling to the bases they lost comms with. My nostalgia would tingle if they could recreate the exterior silo elevator/ graveyard/ heli landing zone. Have a team fly over that paying homage to fans and Romero then go tell their own story.

United States
    Zombie can also be delfined as mindless automaton, which clearly applies here. Also, genres are defined by general consensus, not individual opinions. Enough people apparently think it’s a zombie film to warrants its inclusion on Wiki and IMDb as one. That’s how genres are defined.

Well, there's no good reason to call it a zombie film, either.

Call it whatever you like, though. It doesn't really mean shit to me either way.
    Last edited by beat_truck; 08-Aug-2018 at 09:02 PM. Reason: -

Rising

United States

Yes, there is: the fact that they were NOT dead! "Zombie" in this context is a reanimated corpse (not necessarily by "voodoo") and thus implies a preliminary death:

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/...english/zombie

The "creatures" of that movie are actually people infected by a virus. There is no preliminary death. They go from being normal to being those wild murdering lunatics without dying first.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by facestabber View Post
    Yes! And to tie it to Day you could have a story about Washington team traveling to the bases they lost comms with. My nostalgia would tingle if they could recreate the exterior silo elevator/ graveyard/ heli landing zone. Have a team fly over that paying homage to fans and Romero then go tell their own story.
    Sounds good to me. And give the project to Savini and Nicotero (both of them worked in Day), and give them a nice budget too. Whatever the result, rest assured it will be a million times better than those crappy Day "remakes".
    Last edited by JDP; 08-Aug-2018 at 09:12 PM. Reason: ;

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed

Call it whatever you like, though. It doesn't really mean shit to me either way.
    There’s plenty of good reasons.
    It’s one of the best zombie films there is. If I were to show a friend of mine a 10 zombie films, I’d include it. It’s a perfect example of what the genre should be about. Survivalism against big man and beast. Facing former friends, turned monsters. Life after the outbreak.

Ireland

- - - Updated - - -

28 Days Later is a good movie, but despite what most people believe, it's not really a zombie movie.
    Also yep. It's an infection/virus movie. To be a zombie movie the beasties need to either actually be dead or there has to be the clear belief that they are dead (the latter is in the instance of voodoo zombies). 28 Days Later's beasties are living people who are infected with a rabies-on-roids virus who then keel over after a few weeks because the body starved to death.
    Wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post

There’s plenty of good reasons.
    It’s one of the best zombie films there is. If I were to show a friend of mine a 10 zombie films, I’d include it. It’s a perfect example of what the genre should be about. Survivalism against big man and beast. Facing former friends, turned monsters. Life after the outbreak.

I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post

Ah, but this time there's a Shyamalan twist - this time JDP and I are in agreement!

A film may carry some of the hallmarks and elements of another genre, but that doesn't necessarily make it the same thing. Shaun of the Dead gets referred to as a "rom-zom-com" by its creators, somewhat tongue-in-cheek, because a large part of the underlying story is Shaun getting Liz back, but I wouldn't say Shaun of the Dead and When Harry Met Sally are in the same genre.

Virus movies and Zombie movies cross similar territory in certain regards - such as humanity being wiped out, images of devastated cities, survivalism etc - but the key difference is the infected in 28 Days Later never die as part of their transformation into beasties whereas in the Romero style death is the transition itself, the victim dies and then resurrects as a zombie while still very much being deceased ... voodoo zombies, again, have the clear distinction where families see their loved ones die (they believe it to be true, but it's a trick induced by some sort of cocktail of drugs), be buried, only to then see them a while later up and walking about in the trance-like state with the family members still believing the person to literally be a dead man walking.

Shivers shares many of the hallmarks of a zombie film, but it's not a zombie film, it's an infection/virus/contamination/plague film. None of the victims of the parasite die, but nevertheless they turn into somewhat mindless sex-crazed beings ... but at no point do they die. Rabid, likewise, is the same situation.

Ireland

Ah, but this time there's a Shyamalan twist - this time JDP and I are in agreement!

Jesus...this site is too much for me sometimes.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Rising

United States

The real sarcasm is how in blazes can you ever not have been in agreement with me Perhaps now you are starting to realize how faulty are that fellow's "arguments" and "logic". For me it is not any surprise at all he hilariously thinks it is a "perfect example" of a "zombie movie".

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Virus movies and Zombie movies cross similar territory in certain regards - such as humanity being wiped out, images of devastated cities, survivalism etc - but the key difference is the infected in 28 Days Later never die as part of their transformation into beasties whereas in the Romero style death is the transition itself, the victim dies and then resurrects as a zombie while still very much being deceased ... voodoo zombies, again, have the clear distinction where families see their loved ones die (they believe it to be true, but it's a trick induced by some sort of cocktail of drugs), be buried, only to then see them a while later up and walking about in the trance-like state with the family members still believing the person to literally be a dead man walking.
    By that logic, 28 days later would be in the same genre as Contagion - which clearly isn't the case. It has a lot more in common with Dawn of the Dead than Contagion. Zombies - for instance. In this case the mindless automatons attacking our heroes.