Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Witcher (Netflix series) - Henry Cavill

England
    This has exceeded my expectations which were very high.
    It's brilliant. Cavill is Geralt.
    The lore has been trimmed down so it doesn't overwhelm the new viewer and is relatively easy to follow.
    CGI looks great.
    I urge everyone to give it a try.
    4 of 8 episodes done in one sitting.
    2nd season confirmed.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Super Moderator

UK
    I've not read any of The Witcher, nor played any of the games, but have been paying attention to this show a little bit and have been hearing lots of good things (even my Dad started watching it and he's enjoying it) - so I might give it a spin sometime soon.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I'm not a fantasy person, or a TV-series person.

But I remember playing the first The Witcher game back when it was released and was blown away by how that game managed to convey the dark realities of a medieval world. It was grim and felt so well rounded and fleshed out.

Saw the first two episodes yesterday and have to say I love it. Never thought Henry Cavill would be a good Geralt, but turns out he is! Man he NAILS it. Even the voice is spot on. I love the setting as well. The villages, the costumes and how it doesn't shy away from violence - but without ever sacrificing that rather dark, eerie feeling of dread and mysticism that covers the world. Just like in the games.

Some small parts of it feel a bit stupid - like the battle in the first episode is very cookie cutter - a plain open field and just two armies charging at each other and it just evolves into a frenzy of hack-and-slash. Battles weren't at all like that, and why not have it set in a forest or some other interesting locale? You get the point. It was so "simple", like they just copy pasted a battle from Braveheart without doing anything with it. There are some instances of that throughout where you can tell that - well this is just TV after all.
    Another nitpick was that in the second episode Geralt's narrative was the obvious C-plot, whereas the wizard girl was the obvious A-plot - and the princess on the run was the B-plot. Excuse me, but I want my Witcher to be front and center...

Yeah. I am totally down for this.

Administrator

England
    Enjoying it quite a bit so far (three episodes in). Finding The Witcher's character a little thin/dull, but I guess that will hopefully grow with time...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Enjoying it quite a bit so far (three episodes in). Finding The Witcher's character a little thin/dull, but I guess that will hopefully grow with time...
    Isn't he a classic loner stereotype, aka the man with no name?

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    Isn't he a classic loner stereotype, aka the man with no name?
    I know, but even "The Man With No Name" kicked out a few wry smiles and cool lines... Hopefully Geralt will no more of this as time goes on
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

England
    Good to see people enjoying it. The critics hate it, viewers love it which to me just shows how irrelevant they are becoming. I was sad when the season ended knowing how long we will have to wait. Its apparently been renewed for 2 more seasons and was a big, big success for Netflix.
    My fandom for this if off the charts at the moment. Despite finishing The Witcher 3 on Xbone and all the DLC 3 times, i've just bought the switch version and started another playthrough. The switch version is a technical marvel, squeezing everything into it under 32gb. Its stunning to look at as well just like the PC and more powerful console versions. If you're into RPG's The Witcher 3 is a no brainer. Its also free if you have xbox game pass. I've bought it twice now in different formats which is my standard approach to support things I love.

MY HOME CINEMA

Administrator

England
    Some episodes/scenes come across a tad clunky, but generally there's a good feel to it...
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    Well having finished it, some of the episodes and writing were a bit rocky IMHO. BUT, I look forward to season 2 & 3
    -Carl Sagan

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Well having finished it, some of the episodes and writing were a bit rocky IMHO. BUT, I look forward to season 2 & 3
    Excellent. I liked the way the story was structured. Apparently it was too confusing for some professional critics hence the poor scores.
    Im head over for the actress who plays Yennefer

BTW its looks amazing in UHD
    Last edited by kidgloves; 04-Jan-2020 at 10:46 PM. Reason: add

MY HOME CINEMA

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by kidgloves View Post
    Excellent. I liked the way the story was structured. Apparently it was too confusing for some professional critics hence the poor scores.
    Im head over for the actress who plays Yennefer
    There was one critic who watched episode one and then skipped ahead to episode five before complaining in their review that they didn't understand what was going on. Numpty calls himself a professional critic.

There was similar bullshit with "Love, Death, and Robots" with certain critics slamming it having only watched no more than 6 out of the 18 shorts in that series! Pathetic.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I thought unraveling the timeline was part of the fun.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    I thought unraveling the timeline was part of the fun.
    Yes! When you do that first... "Ohhhh!!!!!!!!!" during the series!
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    I've just got around to watching this now. Currently 5 episodes deep.

Thus far it's taken a bit of getting into, with the three separate stories (although now two of them have dovetailed) and frequently changing cast, but I'm gradually finding my way. I should note that I've never read any of the books or played any of the games, so I'm a total newbie to the material.

So ... 3 more episodes to go and I'll be caught up.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I've just got around to watching this now. Currently 5 episodes deep.

Thus far it's taken a bit of getting into, with the three separate stories (although now two of them have dovetailed) and frequently changing cast, but I'm gradually finding my way. I should note that I've never read any of the books or played any of the games, so I'm a total newbie to the material.

So ... 3 more episodes to go and I'll be caught up.
    Same as you - Not played games or read anything etc. I found it a bit up and down, but there was enough in there for me to enjoy quite a bit
    -Carl Sagan