Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jordan Peele’s The Twilight Zone

Ireland
    Ummm...I hope it's not going to just be a load of remakes. That would be crap. Nightmare at blah blah has already been remade anyway. We don't need another one.

The beauty of something like 'The Twilight Zone' is the unfolding of a strange story, concluding in a "surprise" ending, or at least something that the audience isn't supposed to see coming. So remaking the old stories is pointless.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Ummm...I hope it's not going to just be a load of remakes. That would be crap. Nightmare at blah blah has already been remade anyway. We don't need another one.

The beauty of something like 'The Twilight Zone' is the unfolding of a strange story, concluding in a "surprise" ending, or at least something that the audience isn't supposed to see coming. So remaking the old stories is pointless.
    While I agree with this... I'm just excited to see more Adam Scott! He's dreamy... <3

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    It looks like other anthology shows of the time, like Romero's Tales from the Darkside or Spielberg's Amazing Stories. Sort of like short films you could see in a movie theater (in fact, I remember seeing a screening of a compilation of 3 episodes of Amazing Stories at a movie theater back in 1988. People who did not know it was a TV show thought that it was an actual movie!) The 2000s version of Twilight Zone looked more like a "direct-to-video”
    The 80’s Twilight Zone in particular has very poor picture quality because of the post production process used. While the series was shot on film, it was then converted to one inch master tape transfers for editing, dubbing, effects, etc. Because of this particular process, the original 35mm film negatives were discarded, leaving only deteriorating videotape masters. The show had poor picture quality when it first aired, which of course is even worse now. This is the reason this particular series only has a SD release and no HD transfers like the original. The HD collection of the original series looks phenomenal because they had the original film negatives to remaster, but sadly they can’t ever do it for the 80’s show. The PQ and life expectancy of the 80’s series was doomed from the start.

Jordan Peele’s new series has collected an impressive cast list recently. Apart from Adam Scott that I mentioned earlier, they’ve also announced Greg Kinnear, Steve Yeun, Kumail Nanjiani, Jon Cho, Jacob Tremblay, Allison Tolman, with more to come. Hopefully having these “names” is an indication that they’re being attracted by great writing. Looking forward to it!
    Last edited by bassman; 19-Dec-2018 at 06:26 PM. Reason: .

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    The 80’s Twilight Zone in particular has very poor picture quality because of the post production process used. While the series was shot on film, it was then converted to one inch master tape transfers for editing, dubbing, effects, etc. Because of this particular process, the original 35mm film negatives were discarded, leaving only deteriorating videotape masters. The show had poor picture quality when it first aired, which of course is even worse now. This is the reason this particular series only has a SD release and no HD transfers like the original. The HD collection of the original series looks phenomenal because they had the original film negatives to remaster, but sadly they can’t ever do it for the 80’s show. The PQ and life expectancy of the 80’s series was doomed from the start.
    I actually watched the 80s Twilight Zone episodes when they first aired, and they did not seem to have any poorer picture quality than any of the other TV shows of the time. The effects of deterioration are being noticed now, though, after decades of storage. Tape does not preserve its quality like film does. It was a lack of foresight from the show-maker's part not to save the 35mm original footage. If it was still around they could just re-edit the episodes directly from it and improve the picture quality.
    Last edited by JDP; 20-Dec-2018 at 09:50 AM. Reason: ;

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Exactly, it was poor decisions all the way down the line. While it may not have been noticeable, particularly on the tube TV sets of the time, the show still suffered on its initial airing because they used the tape transfers.

Coincidentally, the original series has six episodes in the second season that were filmed on tape in an effort to cut costs. They also had to shoot these episodes on stage so that they could essentially do live cuts in-camera. These episodes were restored to the best of their ability for the HD transfers, but it makes it very clear how inferior tape was to film.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    They’ve now announced the show’s premiere date of April 1, 2019. Two episodes premiere on April Fool’s Day, with one episode per week after that. https://www.joblo.com/movie-news/jor...-premiere-date

New actors continue to be announced as the production progresses. Thus far we have: Adam Scott, Ike Barinholtz, John Cho, Lucinda Dryzek, Taissa Farmiga, Greg Kinnear, Luke Kirby, Sanaa Lathan, Kumail Nanjiani, Rhea Seehorn, Allison Tolman, Jacob Tremblay, Jefferson White, Jonathan Whitesell, Jessica Williams, DeWanda Wise and Steven Yeun. Not too shabby, with more to come.

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    They’ve now announced the show’s premiere date of April 1, 2019. Two episodes premiere on April Fool’s Day, with one episode per week after that. https://www.joblo.com/movie-news/jor...-premiere-date

New actors continue to be announced as the production progresses. Thus far we have: Adam Scott, Ike Barinholtz, John Cho, Lucinda Dryzek, Taissa Farmiga, Greg Kinnear, Luke Kirby, Sanaa Lathan, Kumail Nanjiani, Rhea Seehorn, Allison Tolman, Jacob Tremblay, Jefferson White, Jonathan Whitesell, Jessica Williams, DeWanda Wise and Steven Yeun. Not too shabby, with more to come.
    Nice! I'm even more excited for it now! EEEE!!

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    In a fantastic new article by Rolling Stone, Jordan Peele reveals that his upcoming film Us, was actually created with inspiration from the Twilight Zone episode, Mirror Image:

Its initial inspiration, appropriately enough, was the old Twilight Zone episode “Mirror Image,” which he saw as a kid. In it, a woman encounters her duplicate in a bus station and becomes convinced it arrived from a parallel universe, bent on replacing her. “It’s terrifying, beautiful, really elegant storytelling,” Peele says, “and it opens up a world. It opens up your imagination.”
    As I believe I’ve said before in this thread, he’s clearly a huge fan of Rod Serling’s seminal series, which helps give me a more optimistic approach to this new Twilight Zone series!

It’s a fantastic Rolling Stone article in which he discusses his entire career, inspirations, etc. I highly recommend it: https://www.rollingstone.com/movies/...-story-782743/

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    New trailer for the super bowl:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-5j4T51KFs

Love it!

EDIT: CBS removed the trailer, for whatever reasons, but I’ve replaced it with another copy. It may not last long, as well. It doesn’t make much sense for CBS to remove free publicity!
    Last edited by bassman; 04-Feb-2019 at 04:28 PM. Reason: .

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    First trailer with episode footage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29_gA_GDGvE

Lookin’ pretty great to me!

Also, the poster has been released:

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    A couple episode-specific trailers:

Nightmare at 30,000 Feet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmCE17h6cO4

The Comedian

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnRda4EVHkQ

Premieres next week!!!

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    The review embargo lifted today, and thus far out of all the reviews I’ve found, the general consensus seems to be that Peele pulled it off! They’re saying it’s a good balance of fan service/nods, while also carving out its own relevant path and earns a seat right alongside Serling’s original as a continuation.

Can’t wait to see the first two episodes for myself in a few days!
    Last edited by bassman; 28-Mar-2019 at 11:17 PM. Reason: .

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    There doesn’t seem to be too much interest here at this point, but it’s worth noting that CBS has put the first episode up for free on Youtube. It’s a very enjoyable episode and only excites me more for the rest of the series! It looks like Peele revived the show in a very positive way.

CBS has the episode set to where it can’t be embedded on other sites, but you can see it on YouTube: https://youtu.be/19GO8-Rrn0g

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    There doesn’t seem to be too much interest here at this point, but it’s worth noting that CBS has put the first episode up for free on Youtube. It’s a very enjoyable episode and only excites me more for the rest of the series! It looks like Peele revived the show in a very positive way.

CBS has the episode set to where it can’t be embedded on other sites, but you can see it on YouTube: https://youtu.be/19GO8-Rrn0g
    Yaaaay!!! I'm super excited for this!!

Administrator

England

Only available in the US
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan