Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jordan Peele’s The Twilight Zone

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

Jordan Peele’s The Twilight Zone

My absolute favorite and all-time classic tv show, The Twilight Zone, is getting it’s third remake next year from Jordan Peele of ‘Get Out’ fame. Today they released a pretty awesome teaser that of course heavily referenced Rod Serling’s original....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlHnIRu2wcs

I know it could never reach the same level as the original, but I still look forward to it and hope it’s entertaining. Peele is obviously drawing on more inspiration from the original than either the 80’s or 2000’s remakes/reboots, so maybe that’s a good start.

Ireland
    As someone who didn't find 'Get Out' to be all that and think that the praise levelled on it is to an absurd degree, I don't know what to make of this. I suppose if it does a better job than the 80's rubbish, then it'll be ok, I guess. Nothing will ever beat the originals though.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    My absolute favorite and all-time classic tv show, The Twilight Zone, is getting it’s third remake next year from Jordan Peele of ‘Get Out’ fame. Today they released a pretty awesome teaser that of course heavily referenced Rod Serling’s original....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlHnIRu2wcs

I know it could never reach the same level as the original, but I still look forward to it and hope it’s entertaining. Peele is obviously drawing on more inspiration from the original than either the 80’s or 2000’s remakes/reboots, so maybe that’s a good start.
    Oh fingers crossed for this!!!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Rising

United States
    Don't know why some people trash the 80s version of this show. It had some good episodes. Overall, I found it consistently better than the 2000s version.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    Don't know why some people trash the 80s version of this show. It had some good episodes. Overall, I found it consistently better than the 2000s version.
    Indeed, both of these adaptations had some good episodes sprinkled throughout. I think what comes off as “trashing” these two series’ really stems from the fact that the original is SO good and nothing has ever, and probably will never, be able to live up to it.

But yeah, there are some good episodes in there, some new, some remakes, and some are even sequels to episodes from the original. I also really like Twilight Zone: The Movie from the eighties. It ultimately became infamous for the tragedy on set, but it also has its good parts. The remake of Nightmare at 20,000 Feet was probably the best of them all, IMO.

As for Peele, its true that he’s only had one film and it was probably being over hyped, but I’m excited for his involvement after reading interviews where he described his love for Serling’s original series. He seems like he loves the original enough to make something that MIGHT be able to stand next to it. Come to think of it, regardless of it being overhyped, ‘Get Out’ was really a good feature length Twilight Zone episode....

Ireland
    Because it was largely shite, with a few good episodes here and there. It cheap 80's soft production does it no favours either.

Probably the best episode in the entire run was 'A Little Peace and Quiet'.

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Because it was largely shite, with a few good episodes here and there. It cheap 80's soft production does it no favours either.
    Not sure what you mean by "soft production". If you mean that there were no "twisted" episodes, I have to disagree. In some episodes even child characters would be subjected to cruel and dark plot "twists" (example: The Shadow Man), something that even the original Twilight Zone did not dare to do (different times; in the 1960s such a thing was "taboo" for TV.)

Probably the best episode in the entire run was 'A Little Peace and Quiet'.
    That first episode also had another cool story starring Bruce Willis, the one where he accidentally calls home from a bar and his "other side" answers the phone. That 80s version had many famous and yet-to-be-famous actors in it.

Ireland
    Soft photography. It looks like a cheap 80's production, because it was a cheap 80's production.

Yeh, 'Shatterday' wasn't bad and the one involving the couple who were caught between minutes. But, I just cannot watch them any more.

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Soft photography. It looks like a cheap 80's production, because it was a cheap 80's production.
    It looks like other anthology shows of the time, like Romero's Tales from the Darkside or Spielberg's Amazing Stories. Sort of like short films you could see in a movie theater (in fact, I remember seeing a screening of a compilation of 3 episodes of Amazing Stories at a movie theater back in 1988. People who did not know it was a TV show thought that it was an actual movie!) The 2000s version of Twilight Zone looked more like a "direct-to-video" production.

Yeh, 'Shatterday' wasn't bad and the one involving the couple who were caught between minutes. But, I just cannot watch them any more.
    Just like all anthology shows, I let a good amount of time pass before watching the episodes again. I enjoy them more when I only have distant memories of them.

Ireland
    It looks like other anthology shows of the time, like Romero's Tales from the Darkside or Spielberg's Amazing Stories.
    Yeh. Cheap.

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Wow, I'm so excited for this!!

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Simple behind the scenes photo of the clapper board in a diner, but it got me excited!

The first episode of the original has scenes in a diner(it’s also all in Hill Valley from Back to the Future! ). Coincidence or remake? Hopefully the former, as I don’t want too many remakes of the original episodes.

Quote Originally Posted by blind2d View Post
    Wow, I'm so excited for this!!
    Seems like we’d had a discussion kinda recently and you were saying that you were just recently seeing the original show for the first time? I actually became a fan of the original kinda late in life, too. I’d seen episodes here and there growing up, but sometime in my mid-late twenties I caught the marathon on the SyFy channel and it changed my life! I’ve been a huge addict for the show and collector ever since. Glad to hear you enjoyed it as well!
    Last edited by bassman; 07-Oct-2018 at 08:21 AM. Reason: .

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Adam Scott(Parks and Rec., Piranha) has been cast as the lead in “Nightmare at 30,000 Feet”, which will be a remake of the classic episode “Nightmare at 20,000 Feet”, which was written by Richard Matheson, directed by Richard Donner, and starring William Shatner. This story was also adapted for the TZ movie in the eighties, directed by George Miller and starring John Lithgow.

I’m still hoping they don’t go too far with remaking established stories, but this IS one of the all-time greats, so it makes sense that it’d be one of them. I can definitely see Scott being a solid casting decision, so here’s hoping they can pull it off!

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Adam Scott(Parks and Rec., Piranha) has been cast as the lead in “Nightmare at 30,000 Feet”, which will be a remake of the classic episode “Nightmare at 20,000 Feet”, which was written by Richard Matheson, directed by Richard Donner, and starring William Shatner. This story was also adapted for the TZ movie in the eighties, directed by George Miller and starring John Lithgow.

I’m still hoping they don’t go too far with remaking established stories, but this IS one of the all-time greats, so it makes sense that it’d be one of them. I can definitely see Scott being a solid casting decision, so here’s hoping they can pull it off!
    No way they will ever top or even equal the original or the 80s remake.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    No way they will ever top or even equal the original or the 80s remake.
    Oh yeah....nothing can top Serling’s original. No way, no how. The two reboots can easily be topped, but the most this can compare to the original would be as a sort of companion piece. With the right people and effort, they could achieve something related to Serling’s seminal work, but never topping it, I’m sure.