Thread: TWD 9x03 "Warning Signs" episode discussion... **SPOILERS**

Super Moderator

UK

TWD 9x03 "Warning Signs" episode discussion... **SPOILERS**

Please keep all talk of episode 9x03 "Warning Signs" specifically inside this thread.

If you have a theory for a following episode, please use the "spoiler tags" (visit the HPOTD FAQ to find out how to use them if you don't already know).

Similarly, if you're going to discuss plot points from the comic book, please use "spoiler tags" - not everyone is up-to-date on them, and some people don't read them at all.

Enjoy!

Directed by: Dan Liu
    Written by: Corey Reed

Rick’s vision for the future is threatened by a mysterious disappearance that divides the work camp where the communities are building a bridge.

United States
    Well, Facestabber was right. Anne still a b*tch lol.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Super Moderator

UK
    Another really good episode - lots of tension and mystery and all sorts going on! Phew! A lot to unpack with this one.

On Anne/Jadis - I never pictured her as being involved in the disappearance of The Saviours, and evidently my theory about their disappearance wasn't right, but I propose a new theory...

When she's on the walkie talkie the voice talks of "A's" and "B's" - which, surely, must be referencing "Alphas" and "Betas" - so she has a prior history with The Whisperers, it would appear.

Interesting that they're flying around in a chopper, I don't recall that from the comics, but could this be a sign that they're reworking The Whisperers? I hope so, because that was an iffy arc to be honest. Is Anne going to take Gabriel to meet her radio chums?

Her subplot in this episode dovetailed nicely with the rest of what was going on, this life before / life after theme, and how the ghosts of someone's past come back to haunt them. The return to the trash pile felt like she was stalking through a cemetery in a horror movie with all that fog rolling around.

I wasn't expecting Oceanside to be behind the disappearances, but it all makes sense and plays into wider themes - and the fact that it all occurs because Maggie killed Gregory makes it all the more tragic. Even Maggie admitted in this episode that what Rick's doing is right - that's it's the better future for baby Hershel - but they as individuals just can't let go of their own yearning for revenge. When Maggie and Daryl just walked away, with the Saviours sodding off back to their factory, the look on Rick's face etc ... it felt so tragic.

Also - did anyone else spot the reference to Night of the Living Dead? The burned-out pick-up truck and the gas pump near the boarded up farm house.

Speaking of which, that was a pretty good scene with all the fingers between the boards - creepy!

United States
    On the surface an average to good episode but with lots of moving parts carefully woven in that some may miss.

1. They actually went back and tied up a loose end by revealing the actual deal Jadis had with Negan from way back on episode 7x16. Jadis was trading people with the helicopter regime. I bet that’s what happened to Heath.

2. Arat’s final words were “No exceptions”, another call back to 7x1. That was what Negan said prior to killing Glenn. Maggie didn’t need to hear that again. Sorry, Arat.

3. Looks like we’re getting another Grimes member after all. I actually never thought about that. Made me happy and sad at the same time.

4. Love how they are referencing past characters and events and making them relevant to the current situation. Also, I miss Simon. Lol.

I was hoping it wasn’t Oceanside but this made sense and it wasn’t dragged all season so I’m fine with it. Another welcome pacing change done this season.

I did see the homage and they even had a burnt up body in the truck lol.

As far as your theory-

I don’t think it’s the Whisperers. It wouldn’t make sense at all. They are a nomadic group, more savage-like now. The A and B is just the writers playing with that damn letter again imo.
    Last edited by Moon Knight; 22-Oct-2018 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Final Warning
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Super Moderator

UK
    Moon - perhaps you're right, perhaps they want to manipulate comics fans into thinking one thing to redirect them, haha! Well, if it keeps me guessing, then fine by me.

A Richonne baby? I dig it. Gotta keep the Grimes bloodline going (sorry Judith ) ... speaking of, I loved that we had some 'family time' in this episode. It's good to see, nice and clearly, some of the normal time that they have, the reason why they fight, you know? I feel that the show kind of forgot that a little bit in the last couple of seasons. Sure, there were pieces here and there, but it wasn't like it was in 1 through 6, so it's nice to see Kang re-inject some warmer heart into the show again.

Likewise I'm glad that the 'mystery of the missing Saviours' was wrapped up swift - no messing about. You kinda feel that if it had been Gimple still in charge that would have dragged on until the mid-season finale. But Kang's got her boot on the accelerator and it feels right. I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything, and the show's plot is moving at a slicker pace to help maintain that balance with the viewer's own life week-to-week. A huge chunk of season 6 amounted to like 2 days in the lives of Rick Grimes & Co, but for us viewers it was spread out over 5 to 6 months (including the mid-season break)!!! Lovely to see Kang not falling into that trap here, because that was really the crux of the 'pacing issues' that viewers were complaining about. The scales were tipped so out of whack. Nice to see them re-balanced!

Good theory on Heath - dude's been missing for ages and it's a good possibility that that is how/where he went. Could this whole Anne-Jadis/Helicopter People be a long-game subplot? Could it be...COMICS SPOILER...

a long-range set-up to the large community of 50,000 people that they discover in the comics? Just recently revealed in Volume 30 of the trade paperbacks.

Just when I'd learned Arat's name and got her face firmly placed in my head, she gets bumped off, haha! Now, I've got to try and remember the name of the Saviour lady with the neck tattoo ... I keep forgetting her name. So many names to remember!

United States
    Laura lol and the one with the limp is Regina. I’m surprised Arat made it past season eight’s finale considering what she did. Now we know why. Makes sense. Wish Justin lasted longer though. I like the actor.

You would be shocked if you go back and see just how much time has past during prior storylines. Like MZ said, what feels like years for us only amounts to a couple of weeks in show. That’s not good.

I’m all caught up in the comics and I’m pretty sure what your spoiler stated could possibly be true. Or they could just be messing with comic fans again. They even had the sign on display in 8x1. Big ol’ Easter egg right in your face. This season has me invested again.

United States
    I gotta say I'm enjoying this season thus far. Two weeks from now I plan on entering a terrible depression. So Anne is still Jadis. Betrayal was second nature to her so this didn't surprise me. What is terrifying is who is in the other end of that radio. I don't read the comics so I don't know much about how the whisperers operate but based on Moons description, I'm wondering if this isn't some Govt entity. Trading supplies for certain types of people. If that is Ricks exit fate and he doesn't die I can live with that. The hope of him to return in the future would keep me calm.

I love the call backs in the episode. Daryl saying why doesn't Glenn, Abraham or Sasha get to have this. Dear Daryl that speech may have been more powerful to Rick if you included Corals name. And Ricks line about Daryl choosing not to kill Rick after Rick handcuffed Merle on the roof. I loved hearing that.

Rebuilding a society is not as easy as people generally think it is. And this story is illustrating that. I get what Rick is trying to do but I also understood why Daryl and Maggie turned and walked away. Arat killed an 11 year old boy. A conscious capable of that, with or without coercion is inherently evil or close to it. Moon good catch on Arats final words being the same as Negan before smoking Glenn. Holy shit is Maggie absolutely NOT going to help you now. societies and civilizations take generations to form. Ups and downs, dark moments and light. I think what is on display here shows us that this process isn't black and white. It's gray and it isn't easy. If I was in this turmoil with these characters(god please make me an extra) I hope I would keep a moral foundation. I'd absolutely vote for Negans death as the asshole deserves it. Include Arat(haha) and Probably regina and any others which there is proof they participated and took enjoyment in Negans antics. I like Laura though. She always seemed less intense. I don't believe I would have it in me to machine gun down anyone associated with the Saviors. It could immediately many problems but at what cost to humanity(God bless you Dale). Ok I'm rambling. I just wanted to say this show has me thinking and smiling again. For one more week anyway.
    Last edited by facestabber; 23-Oct-2018 at 03:04 AM. Reason: Type o

Super Moderator

UK
    Aye, I'm really pleased with how the show is feeling again. I just wish that Kang had taken over the showrunner gig with season 8! I mean, I enjoyed season 8, but it continued certain problems and killing off Carl was a dumbass idea and the behind-the-scenes handling of it leaves a decidedly bitter taste in fans' mouths.

That aside, we are where we are - and the great thing is that Kang is now in charge, but she's also been there since season 2 IIRC, so she's got the show deeply embedded in her mind, so we're able to get callbacks and little details, but also get more time with characters who've been shunted aside in the last couple of years.

The interweaving of characters and their backstories has also been really good thus far, too. Best illustrated here with the climactic scene with Maggie/Oceanside/Gregory/Arat.

Facestabber - all excellent points about the messiness in creating (or in this case recreating) civilisation. Team Rick snuck into an outpost and murdered people in their sleep, he killed a fellow father and orphaned a child (who is now in the care of Aaron IIRC), and remember how crazy it was when Morales came back and Daryl snuffed him out sharpish. They've all done things to each other, so where does the killing stop? The yearning for revenge goes both ways.

Although as I've always maintained, there is an extra layer to the Saviours - they were essentially Hitler's Germany in WW2 - with a sadistic leader and lieutenants who were either enjoying it or just doing what they were told. As has been said, the likes of Laura (neck tattoo lady) and Regina (with the hair, tight on the sides, high on the top IIRC) - thanks for the reminder - are enemies with whom you can find some peace time middle ground on which to build towards a future. The likes of Rick & Co, even in their darkest periods, have only sought to end a problem rather than start one. They've wrestled back and forth with how good to be in this world, but they've never enjoyed killing other humans and have only done so when a loved one is in danger or when it's necessary to save their own butts (e.g. Terminus - indeed, taking down Terminus saved lives).

The likes of Simon, though, would never have lasted as I'm sure we can all agree. He was a lieutenant who enjoyed the power and wanted the crown for himself.

TWD 9x03 Meme:

Last edited by MinionZombie; 23-Oct-2018 at 04:16 PM.

United States
    I’m really curious as to what is going to happen with the rest of the Saviors. Surely after they find out Arat is now dead they aren’t going to take it lightly. Especially ones like Jed and DJ. The females? Hmm they seem alright, even Arat I believe was turned to team Rick before her death.

The sad part for me is it seems if it wasn’t for Daryl constantly talking down to them it wouldn’t have escalated so badly.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    I’m really curious as to what is going to happen with the rest of the Saviors. Surely after they find out Arat is now dead they aren’t going to take it lightly. Especially ones like Jed and DJ. The females? Hmm they seem alright, even Arat I believe was turned to team Rick before her death.

The sad part for me is it seems if it wasn’t for Daryl constantly talking down to them it wouldn’t have escalated so badly.
    They've all got axes to grind, and a little rot goes a long way ... the effect begins to develop exponentially and before you know it things are out of control.

They could do with having nominated/elected representatives of each group who can speak on behalf of their respective enclaves and hash out details before presenting them to their groups, so there's a better chance at dialogue. A bit pissed off group vs another big pissed off group can only lead to trouble and failure.

The show's doing a wonderful job of showing how all this chaos transpires.

Ireland
    Another ok episode. It's all fairly harmless so far. The problem is the cliff edge of a Rick Grimes(less) future for the show that's approaching real fast. It's difficult to see where it's going to go when he departs and how they'll stave off the inevitable drop off in viewership.

Good to see Jadis hasn't changed her spots. I felt that was a little hokey.

Didn't know who the hell "Arrodd" - Daryl's strange way of pronouncing - was, until she got stuck. People like that need to be gone. Doesn't matter if they say they've changed or whatnot. They will always be a danger. People like that scumbag Justin too. Eliminate them from the equation. Regardless if bodies are needed or not, nobody is safe with that type around.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....