Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TWD 9x05 "What Comes After" episode discussion... **SPOILERS**

Super Moderator

UK

TWD 9x05 "What Comes After" episode discussion... **SPOILERS**

Please keep all talk of episode 9x05 "What Comes After" specifically inside this thread.

If you have a theory for a following episode, please use the "spoiler tags" (visit the HPOTD FAQ to find out how to use them if you don't already know).

Similarly, if you're going to discuss plot points from the comic book, please use "spoiler tags" - not everyone is up-to-date on them, and some people don't read them at all.

Enjoy!

Directed by: Greg Nicotero
    Written by: Story by : Scott M. Gimple & Matthew Negrete, Teleplay by : Matthew Negrete

Rick is forced to face the past as he struggles to maintain the safety of the communities and protect the future he and Carl envisioned.

United States
    Dammit, MZ! Rick’s last episode and you choose a pic of Jadis??

I’m not prepared for this.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    Dammit, MZ! Rick’s last episode and you choose a pic of Jadis??

I’m not prepared for this.

Well the other pic was Rick skewered on the rebar, but I didn't want to have that conversation leak over from 9x04.

Besides ... this picture got my theories tingling.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post

Well the other pic was Rick skewered on the rebar, but I didn't want to have that conversation leak over from 9x04.

Besides ... this picture got my theories tingling.
    Good call.

I guess one good thing coming out of 9x05 is that this pretensius Jadis storyline will finally be over.
    Last edited by Moon Knight; 03-Nov-2018 at 05:54 PM. Reason: Double post
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Administrator

England
    Highest watch figures ever?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Wouldn’t it be really cool if Rick was saved by that helicopter and taken away right before the walkers attempt to devour him? This way it leaves his demise open and we’re left with that cliffhanger for ever how long. So if the series concludes 3 years or 5 years from now he can always be brought back to close it out. If it warrants it.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Highest watch figures ever?
    I doubt it. Will be interesting to see what it ultimately does.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Harleydude666 View Post
    Wouldn’t it be really cool if Rick was saved by that helicopter and taken away right before the walkers attempt to devour him? This way it leaves his demise open and we’re left with that cliffhanger for ever how long. So if the series concludes 3 years or 5 years from now he can always be brought back to close it out. If it warrants it.
    The helicopter hasn't been around for no reason. I always go back to what lincoln said at SDCC. This is my last SEASON. Not episode. Not movie etc etc.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by facestabber View Post
    The helicopter hasn't been around for no reason. I always go back to what lincoln said at SDCC. This is my last SEASON. Not episode. Not movie etc etc.
    You might be reaching there, but I’ll hold out hope

United States
    Rick mother fucking Grimes. All is right in the world when Rick is alive. Hershel, Shane and even Sasha had amazing scenes. Can't even start to process it all

United States
    Great episode and nice open ending. I like that they are time jumping, it makes things fresh once again. I’m looking forward to where the writers take us. Love the “Cardille” reference. Gotta be a Romero freak to catch those

United States
    Going in I was anticipating being really depressed with the loss of Rick. This I did not expect! The hype is real! Damn seeing Shane and Hershel back was beautiful. I remembered why Shane was my favorite character.

When Carl was killed I didn’t mind because I felt like they could use Judith as that remaining Grimes kid; her ties to Shane is just icing on the cake. So happy they went with the six year time jump. Looks like they used Henry’s real life older brother to play older Henry too. Makes upcoming storylines make more sense.

Rick is alive somewhere and we don’t have to wait months to see what has happened in six years.

Rising

United States
    So, this whole "Rick Grimes' Final Episode" thing was really a ploy to move this character to a series of feature movies for AMC. It seems the producers want to keep on "milking the zombie cow". This could be good for hardcore fans who can't get enough zombies, but for the average viewer it might mean over-saturation and getting bored with the genre. Let's not forget what happened with FTWD. It has dropped in viewership. Even TWD has.

Is Judith a good substitute for Rick??? Somehow I am not very optimistic about this. A small kid with an over-sized cowboy hat, a dwarf katana and a gun does not seem to be as "serious". If you thought that Carl was still too young to take over Rick's place, this takes it to the next level.

I do hope that the helicopter that picked up Rick and Jadis/Anne does not mysteriously go "unnoticed" by everyone else. The location where Jadis/Anne finds Rick and the helicopter comes down is not far away from the bridge, so obviously a whole bunch of people in the group must have seen it. I expect that this "helicopter issue" should come up in future episodes. Are we to expect that these survivors who live in a world where they are still struggling to make horse-drawn carts and plows wouldn't be intrigued by the sudden appearance of a helicopter that lands nearby? Nobody comments, speculates or bothers to try to find out what is that all about?? It will be extremely unrealistic if that is what happens.

As for the "Cardille" reference: Talking Dead said it was a reference to Bill "Chilly Billy" Cardille from Night of the Living Dead, but maybe it's also referring to his daughter, Lori Cardille, from Day of the Dead.
    Last edited by JDP; 06-Nov-2018 at 07:49 PM. Reason: ;

Super Moderator

UK
    *phew*

So glad that Rick is still alive.

This is why I posted the picture of Anne/Jadis, because it suggested to me that one of my theories could be correct. I knew that Rick wouldn't go anywhere else willingly, so he'd have to be at death's door in order for anyone to manage to take him, as-it-were. This also suggests a whole other community somewhere (I've theorised on who it could be in a previous thread for an episode in this season).

Loved the way they transitioned from the chopper flying away (notice how the music was the same music from the end of 1x01) to show the passage of time before introducing the new set of characters. All those seasons with Gimple as showrunner and, what, less than a year passes during his entire tenure ... Angela Kang has a love of moving the show along when it needs it and I'm so on board with that. The show has needed that sense of time progression for a long time. When viewers complained about pacing I think that is ultimately what they meant - the time passing for Rick & Co was too brief compared to the weeks and months passing for us the viewers. So Kang & Co are friggin' knocking it out of the park.

All this talk of Rick, understandably, does distract from another major moment - Maggie vs Negan. Great to see that that wasn't dragged out too long either and she understood Rick's reasons. Plus, seeing Negan as this babbling shell of his former self was quite a turn of events - he's broken ... ... but the tease for the next three episodes suggests he finds some sort of peace with his new lot in life and even hints at a version of the 'hope for the future flash forwards' that we saw in Season 8 (when Rick, Judith, and Negan were gardening together).

Speaking of Judith - it's been great to get more of her in the show, and now with her taking on the reigns of 'Carl territory', you could say in some ways, I'm happy. She's not some 'defacto leader', don't be daft, but she's been growing up in this world and will know how to take care of herself. She'll be trained in weapons and survival tactics - and it's going to be interesting to see how Judith, as a 'child of the apocalypse', operates compared to the adults who were forced to make the transition and even some of the other young ones (e.g. Henry). Indeed, with Judith, think of children who grow up in war zones or unstable countries that constantly see death, destruction, and war. The kids who survive in that awful environment know how to survive ... so Judith will likewise, plus she'll have the benefit of the aforementioned training.

I've not seen Talking Dead yet, so I'm not sure what the passage of time is going to be - but evidently it's been years, just going from Judith and Carol's hair - god-damn! hehe, it's like "coming up on The Walking Dead: badass new hair styles".

Now ... when Rick re-appears, I wonder how they're going to do it what with the passage of time. How will they write it so that he's not made his way back to Alexandria in the intervening years. Hopefully that all shakes out well.

Speaking of ... I coulda sworn I read that Rick Grimes was going to be in six episodes this season - so we've got one more, if that is still the case.

Matthew Negrette - who wrote the teleplay (and, indeed, Gimple - who co-wrote the story) - handled this episode superbly, and Kang has been doing wonders with her stewardship of this season. The show really has rediscovered it's mojo and, incredibly - in an episode which sees the departure of Rick-ruddy-Grimes - I'm genuinely so excited and jazzed about what's coming up, to see the rejuvenation and where things go from here. It's like we've gone from nibbling on rations in the last couple of seasons to being fed a full blown three-course-meal every week now, and it's awesome!!!

The 'field of the dead' was a nifty scene, too - notice Shane near the camera in the wide shot as Rick and Sasha talk - and there were various other references (e.g. Beth, albeit turned away from camera).

Oh, man ... yep ... seriously jazzed from this episode. HYPE!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 05-Nov-2018 at 10:38 AM.

United States
    Did you folks catch the garbled radio traffic when Jadis heard someone's voice say "there's his gun". Referring to Ricks .357. Or am I imagining things?