Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TWD 9x06 "Who Are You Now?" episode discussion... **SPOILERS**

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    You don't read the comic do you?

On this episode, not that pushed TBH. Plus, we're getting into one of the stupidest parts of the comic storyline too. So, I can't say I'm too enthused about where the series is going in the immediate future. I was hoping they might have avoided what's going to happen.
    Mr Glass Half Empty, over here.

Yes, that plotline wasn't a strong one in the comics and had some downright iffy stuff in it, but this is also an opportunity to improve upon what was written in the comics. We've seen them improve things from the comics before - one of the most significant is Carol. That character was a pain in the arse in the comics from what I can remember, but here in the show they've made her one of the best characters in the entire show. Mr Glass Half Full, at your service.

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Mr Glass Half Empty, over here.

Yes, that plotline wasn't a strong one in the comics and had some downright iffy stuff in it, but this is also an opportunity to improve upon what was written in the comics. We've seen them improve things from the comics before - one of the most significant is Carol. That character was a pain in the arse in the comics from what I can remember, but here in the show they've made her one of the best characters in the entire show. Mr Glass Half Full, at your service.
    The problem is the very idea was stupid, so there's not a lot to improve on there. I haven't bothered with the comic storyline since. The best way was just not go down that route at all and go their own way, which was open to them with the Rickxit happening.

Thing is now, which is probably worse than the upcoming storyline, is that there's no central character. 'The Walking Dead' is in a really weird state. Michonne isn't going to cut it and neither is Daryl and even if Carol is my favourite character in the show, she's not right either. So, that means they'll have to create a new one, which also won't sit well. I'll be amazed if we get another couple of seasons out of it. It might limp along X Files style, until AMC pull the plug and put all their efforts into 'Fear the Walking Dead'.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Administrator

England
    You don't read the comic do you?

On this episode, not that pushed TBH. Plus, we're getting into one of the stupidest parts of the comic storyline too. So, I can't say I'm too enthused about where the series is going in the immediate future. I was hoping they might have avoided what's going to happen.
    Is the stupidest part in the comic a bit about a priest who becomes the biggest player in the village?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Is the stupidest part in the comic a bit about a priest who becomes the biggest player in the village?
    LOL

No, it's worse.

Administrator

England
    LOL

No, it's worse.
    Is it going to get one of my Oh Dears!?

Is this going to come soon do you think? Or next season?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Have to disagree. While it didn’t end well, the concept at the time was intriguing and the show has never had any characters like what we are getting next. Did have cons and a shitty ending, but with the people hired to bring these roles to life I think they aren’t going to let that happen again. Could be wrong of course.

Now, what comes after this storyline is what I’m worried about. It’s boring as f*ck. Hopefully that won’t happen until season 11. Was hoping it would be skipped but it’s already hinted at. Sigh.

- - - Updated - - -

This season. Give it a chance, then decide for yourself.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Ireland

It got a massive Oh Dear from me when I read. But, yeh, as Moonie says, wait and see for yourself.

Super Moderator

UK
    As I said before, the writers have improved upon comics storylines at various points. Yes, certain things have been fudged up, but that's more come about because of certain directions a previous showrunner took things (e.g. Mazzara RE: Angela), or because certain changes came about because of behind the scenes stuff (e.g. Dale died far earlier in the show, relating to the whole Darabont/AMC situation).

So I'm hoping that Kang will lead us through the potentially choppy waters of The Whisperers storyline and make it work. It's definitely one of the more weirder storylines from the comics, and yeah, in the comics it was rather up-and-down (some of it was pretty bad, some of it was surprisingly good - so a mixed bag, in other words). But considering how well Kang is handling the role and improving the show after the last couple of troubled seasons, I'm hopeful that Kang & Co can do their own better version of what was on the page.

United States
    This storyline can bring back that much needed horror element back into the show, again, like MZ says, if improved from the original format. I believe it has great potential.

Now, if it sucks, it’s MZ’s fault.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    This storyline can bring back that much needed horror element back into the show, again, like MZ says, if improved from the original format. I believe it has great potential.

Now, if it sucks, it’s MZ’s fault.
    1) IIRC Nicotero was mentioning about bringing back some of the horror element of the show that had been lost in the last couple of seasons, and we've certainly seen some of that so far (e.g. the infamous spider walker).

2)

United States
    Bringing back some horror elements will be a welcomed effort. I am really impressed with the job Kang has done this season.
    D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.