Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TWD 9x08 "Evolution" episode discussion... **SPOILERS**

Super Moderator

UK

TWD 9x08 "Evolution" episode discussion... **SPOILERS**

Please keep all talk of episode 9x08 "Evolution" specifically inside this thread.

If you have a theory for a following episode, please use the "spoiler tags" (visit the HPOTD FAQ to find out how to use them if you don't already know).

Similarly, if you're going to discuss plot points from the comic book, please use "spoiler tags" - not everyone is up-to-date on them, and some people don't read them at all.

Enjoy!

Directed by: Michael E. Satrazemis
    Written by: David Leslie Johnson-McGoldrick

A small rescue mission braves a dangerous herd in their hunt for a missing comrade, only to discover a surprising threat that could doom them all.

United States
    creepy photo
    D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

UK
    I'm back to being excited for the new episodes again, bless you Angela Kang. Monday can't come soon enough and its the damn mid-season break already.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by DayoftheZ View Post
    I'm back to being excited for the new episodes again, bless you Angela Kang. Monday can't come soon enough and its the damn mid-season break already.
    This front half of the season has flown by, hasn't it? And with all that's been going on it already feels like we've had at least three 'premiere/finale' style episodes in terms of their grandeur and importance. Lovely stuff - hopefully Kang & Co can keep it up in the back half as well.

United States
    The creepy atmosphere in this episode is off the charts. This is the kind of stuff I’ve been asking for!
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    This front half of the season has flown by, hasn't it? And with all that's been going on it already feels like we've had at least three 'premiere/finale' style episodes in terms of their grandeur and importance. Lovely stuff - hopefully Kang & Co can keep it up in the back half as well.
    I have every faith that the new team can keep this up. Just wish Andrew Lincoln could have been a part of it as all. Seeing the ratings is a shame but the feedback on social media has been much more positive than the last couple under Gimble.

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    The creepy atmosphere in this episode is off the charts. This is the kind of stuff I’ve been asking for!
    Pictures like the above are a living dead fans wet dream. This type of show should creep you out like the great dead films Romero gave us.

Really excited for this one having seen the sneak peek.!!
    Last edited by DayoftheZ; 25-Nov-2018 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Predictive text

United States
    From what I’ve seen as well that scene is gonna be intense.

Hold up just watched!

Damn, those scenes were great. Not happy with the death but it was really well done. When that walker ducked and stabbed Jesus, damn! Then he whispered into his ear as he died. F*ck.
    Last edited by Moon Knight; 26-Nov-2018 at 04:03 AM. Reason: Whispers into Screams.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

United States
    wow, great episode. The creep/horror factor was back in a big way. I totally did not see the death coming, but damn it was done well. The entire cemetary scene was spot on, I still am curious what the beef is between michonne and the others.
    Parts of this episode had me comparing it to some of GARs better work.
    Last edited by Zombie Snack; 26-Nov-2018 at 12:54 PM. Reason: oops
    D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

Super Moderator

UK
    Yep, another groovy episode and I definitely didn't see the death of Jesus coming ... kind of a bummer, really, I dug that character (but I suppose this opens the doors for Maggie's return as Hilltop is now without a leader, aside from Deputy Tara anyway).

The stuff with Henry is all good and interesting, although it does make me wonder what it would have been like seeing Carl in that storyline ... but we won't ever see that (thanks, Gimple ) ... ... but even still, our new older Henry is doing a fine job and I liked that he realised how his move to Hilltop to apprentice blacksmithing, being away from home at the Kingdom as-it-were, was a big move in the end. It's like going away to college for the zombie apocalypse.

All the Whisperer stuff was very cool and the creep factor was high. Excellent use of the horror aesthetic, too, what with the spooky barn and creepy graveyard. First impressions of the Whisperers on TV is good, so I'm really hoping they can improve upon what was a rather mixed bag in the comics. The added horror vibe is definitely helping ... 8 or so years deep into the zombie apocalypse you're likely going to stumble across some messed up folks.

Also - Negan on the loose ... hmmm! What will he do? Maybe get a proper shower or catch some rays or sprawl out in a king size bed.

Ireland
    Have to admit, I'm just not feeling it any more for this show. With Rick going, the central character is no longer around and it's just a bunch of supports now, even if some of them rank as my favourites, like Carol or Jesus (who's now also gone ). But, the audience has followed Rick's story for nearly a decade, not anyone else's. It's been the events happening to Rick Grimes and the folk that surround HIM. So, there's a definite vacuum going on that's impossible to deny.

Sure, there are decent set pieces, like last night's graveyard scene, the make up is still top notch, and it's been ok in general. But, it's not been enough to lift my waning interest and it's a show that's lost its way, in many respects, largely because of Lincoln's jumping ship.

I dunno, maybe it will improve in the arse end of S09. But, at the moment, I just don't really care. I feel like I'm watching just to watch now and that's not a good sign.

I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

United States
    I got the original story with Rick and Carl in the comics. Wish Rick was still around but I’m alright with something a little different as long as the quality stays strong.

UK
    Excellent episode, really enjoyed it. As others have said the creep factor was well done and even the whispers seemed well executed .

I have to admit I had a tantrum when Jesus died, but then I realised that this is what the show has been missing, shock deaths.

I can accept the concerns about there being no more Carl or Rick especially Rick if I am honest. I can only imagine Andrew Lincoln in this new world it would have been great.

That said in Rick's absence we have some space for Michonne, Daryl, Aaron, Eugene and Gabriel to shine and they really are.

United States
    I’m not sure how I made peace with Ricks absence. I think the major factor I’m still here is because he wasn’t killed off. There is hope in my world regarding Rick. I think this would be better with him in it 100%. But and it’s a big but.....I am enjoying this. This episode was just creepy. The characters are experiencing fear again and I love it. The Whisperers are a legitimate threat. And think their timing works. What I mean by that is if they showed up a year into the apocalypse I think a heard of 140 or 300(Walker/whisperer mix) would have been easier to deal with. We saw belt fed machine guns, RPG’s, grenade launcher and plenty of ammo to boot. Those weapons against a bunched up heard would have done enough damage to force the whisperer element to flee, revealing themselves.

Bummer about Jesus. Just a god guy and good character that I believe should have been allowed to continue. But alas Jesus is no more. The manner he left was very well constructed. An extremely skilled warrior killed by an unsuspecting foe.

Really want to hear the story about Michonne because as it stands she is coming off very stubborn. I’m glad Carol called her out about losing kids and moving forward.

I’m not really feeling the Henry character or storyline. That may just be bitterness manifesting over Carl’s treatment. I was never high on chandlers acting but he would do far better than this Mintz kid.

I also wanted to hate Siddiq but I don’t. He’s a good guy and I enjoy how level headed he is.
    Last edited by facestabber; 27-Nov-2018 at 04:35 AM. Reason: Spelling

United States
    Using Jesus as a death in order to introduce the Whisperers was genius. Tom wanted out and this was a perfect way to handle it. Have your best warrior get killed by a hidden foe means anyone can get killed by them. (Lol except Daryl) Jesus was kicking ass and feeling cocky until that one walker moved unpredictably. That was his end. Awesome.

I agree about Henry, definitely the weakest part. But to me Carl or Henry, that was the part of the story I never cared for. With that said, Henry’s actor isn’t doing too bad. Chandler wasn’t that good.

Super Moderator

UK
    TWD has always been an ensemble show, but before it was an ensemble with Rick as the leader, now it's just an ensemble show ... and I don't say "just" in a derogatory manner. As has been said, I've been surprisingly okay with Rick's exit, helped in no small part by the fact that the character is still alive and we will see him again (as long as we get him back on the show at some point in the future, with a story that makes sense for keeping him away for so long in the intervening time, then I'll be happy).

I think this Mintz kid is doing fine - the moment where he realises that this has been a big decision as Carol sheds a tear and moseys on back to the Kingdom sold me on it.

Sad to see Jesus go, but aye, the manner of his end worked well ... that apparent walker suddenly moving like a skilled warrior, with the sort of fluidity that Jesus had in combat, was quite appropriate in some ways and indeed: a shock death. Wasn't expecting it at all.

For a show to rediscover its mojo in its ninth season is quite something. We're only half way there and it feels like we've had a season's worth of material already and I'm hungry for more.