Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: BBC: Best Christmas film?

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    I agree with you JDP, Die Hard is definitely a christmas film. I however disagree with your statement that Cannibal Holocaust is also a christmas film, and suggest you're perhaps reading too much into the natives bodily ornaments. I do not think they are meant to suggest that the film takes place at Christmas, as you say they are.
    ↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑
    The Return of the Troll
    Last edited by JDP; 29-Dec-2018 at 12:41 AM. Reason: ;

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I’m just glad we’re all in agreement that Die Hard is a Christmas movie. Glad me and JDP are finally on the same side!

Merry Christmas everyone!

Rising

United States
    ↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑
    The Troll Strikes Back (2018)

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    So what's everyones top 10 Christmas movies?

I have a tradition with a few friends that we sit down one saturday, a few weekends before Christmas, and see as many as possible.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    ↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑
    The Return of the Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    ↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑
    The Troll Strikes Back (2018)
    Should’ve reversed the order. Somewhere George Lucas weeps.

Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    So what’s everyone’s top 10 Christmas movies?
    Edward Scissorhands, Ghostbusters 2, Eyes Wide Shut, Iron Man 3, Mean Girls, American Psycho, Dirving Miss Daisy, Go, Life of Brian, and of course Die Hard 2.
    Last edited by bassman; 29-Dec-2018 at 05:12 PM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

UK
    Just re-watched Ghostbusters 2 (for the umpteenth time) the other night and it fits in nice with the season, being set in the last couple of weeks of December. I'd edge it more towards a New Year movie as the climax is on New Year's Eve and the whole movie points towards that showdown as one year passes into another (even though they're 10 years shy of the new millennium, heh).

I watched Eyes Wide Shut again last Xmas or the year before as one of my 'alternative Xmas movies'. Funny to think it was too raunchy for America in 1999 (hence the CGI figures moving over certain scenes - but not here in the UK ).

I'd forgotten about "Go" being set around Xmas. I must remember to watch that next year as an alternative Xmas movie.

Also, "genre" and "theme" are different things. There's all sorts of "car" movies (Vanishing Point is part of the New Hollywood movement, while Blues Brothers is a musical comedy). Indeed, there's all sorts of different genres underneath the thematic banner of "New Hollywood" ... from this example, substitute "New Hollywood" with "Christmas Movie" and that's it all explained, really.

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Also, "genre" and "theme" are different things. There's all sorts of "car" movies (Vanishing Point is part of the New Hollywood movement, while Blues Brothers is a musical comedy). Indeed, there's all sorts of different genres underneath the thematic banner of "New Hollywood" ... from this example, substitute "New Hollywood" with "Christmas Movie" and that's it all explained, really.
    There's also a difference between a story merely being set during some season and a story that is about some season in a way that it forms an important part of the story. This is what distinguishes a real, say, "Christmas movie" (example: A Christmas Carol), from a movie that is merely set in the same season but that actually plays no significant part in the story and can be easily substituted with some other festivity without significantly altering the main story (example: Die Hard.)

"New Hollywood" cannot alter the fundamental basics of storytelling. It's just what it was, it is, and always will be.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Interesting. Having never seen Eyes Wide Shut its interesting to learn its a Christmas movie!

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Just re-watched Ghostbusters 2 (for the umpteenth time) the other night and it fits in nice with the season, being set in the last couple of weeks of December. I'd edge it more towards a New Year movie as the climax is on New Year's Eve and the whole movie points towards that showdown as one year passes into another (even though they're 10 years shy of the new millennium, heh).

I watched Eyes Wide Shut again last Xmas or the year before as one of my 'alternative Xmas movies'. Funny to think it was too raunchy for America in 1999 (hence the CGI figures moving over certain scenes - but not here in the UK ).

I'd forgotten about "Go" being set around Xmas. I must remember to watch that next year as an alternative Xmas movie.
    I was partially kidding about those. I only thought of Ghostbusters II because the montage with a few Christmas references. However, I do agree that it would fit into the strange and less recognized category of New Years films.

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    We can all agree though that Iron Man 3 is definitely a Christmas film.