Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Ghostbusters 3 (film) - 2021

Super Moderator

UK
    'The original films won't cease to exist', they said when the remake was coming ... then the remake bombs ... then GB3 (which is what should have happened in the first place, and what fans really wanted) is announced and Jones acts as if it'll mean that the remake will cease to exist. Oh, the irony. There's also a further lack of self-awareness in that Tweet as she just assumes the cast will be all-male, despite the fact that the cast (or the story, or much of anything else actually) has yet to be announced.

She never deserved the trolling she received, nobody does, but you'd also have thought a lesson or two might have been learned from the whole debacle.

The remake had dreadful recurring jokes about soup and that mind-numbing 'point at the thing that is currently happening and then literally state what is happening in a loud voice' style of 'joke' that has infected American comedy for some years now. Christ, the extended version even had three ruddy dance sequences in it! The characters didn't have much depth, Kevin the receptionist was beyond asinine as a concept, the huffy attempts to slag off trolls came off as just bratty 'fling your toys out of the pram' moments shoe-horned into the film which ground everything to a screeching halt, the cameo appearances felt more like hostage videos, the story was weak, the remixed song was God-awful, there was a decided lack of solid jokes, and stylistically speaking it was so far removed from the original films. Compare the smart, dry, character-based humour of the originals such as "No human could stack books like this", "Listen? You smell that?", the mortgaging of Ray's childhood home, the litany of things that need fixing on the Ecto-1, Janine in general, the jabs at the cynical machinery of New York politics, etc etc etc ... ... then compare that with the remake where a grown-ass man cannot comprehend glass ... ... ... ... ... *crickets*

Yes, there's always the fear that GB3 could turn out shite. However, there have been late-in-the-day sequels that have done very well - Rambo and Rocky Balboa, for instance (especially the latter of those two) were both superb returns to form (and both Creed movies have also been very well received since Rocky 6). And as Bassman said, me and him are both fans of Indy 4, haha. It may have some flaws, but it's in-keeping with the rest of the franchise and - crucially - the type of material that inspired it (matinee serials in which the daring hero would survive impossible odds). Star Wars: The Force Awakens didn't exactly bomb, did it? Tron Legacy improved on the original in pretty much every way. Clerks 2 was hilarious. Die Hard 4, in the end, has grown on me quite a lot (although Die Hard 5 was garbage). Jurassic World shat all over Jurassic Park 3 and did gangbusters at the box office (after a weak first few days, during which time the media immediately launched into "it's a bomb!" mode before the public deemed otherwise). Mad Max: Fury Road - fucking EPIC brilliance. Toy Story 3 is arguably the best of the series. So, really, there's a lot of recent precedent for belated sequels to turn out great - fingers crossed GB3 will join that list.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Clerks 2 was hilarious.
    Stopped reading right there.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    the mortgaging of Ray's childhood home.
    Speaking of....I wonder if the barn shown in the teaser is on the Stantz’s land? If any of the original crew were to keep the Ecto and equipment, I imagine it’d be Ray. Could be a neat little nod that he’s living on his family land that they took those three mortgages out on.

Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    Clerks 2 is indeed not for everyone. I personally enjoy it a lot because of the well written and emotional platonic relationship between Dante and Randall. Some jokes work, while some don’t, but the emotional core of the film is fantastic, IMO.
    Last edited by bassman; 25-Jan-2019 at 01:56 PM. Reason: .

Rising

United States

Yes, there's always the fear that GB3 could turn out shite. However, there have been late-in-the-day sequels that have done very well - Rambo and Rocky Balboa, for instance (especially the latter of those two) were both superb returns to form (and both Creed movies have also been very well received since Rocky 6). And as Bassman said, me and him are both fans of Indy 4, haha. It may have some flaws, but it's in-keeping with the rest of the franchise and - crucially - the type of material that inspired it (matinee serials in which the daring hero would survive impossible odds). Star Wars: The Force Awakens didn't exactly bomb, did it? Tron Legacy improved on the original in pretty much every way. Clerks 2 was hilarious. Die Hard 4, in the end, has grown on me quite a lot (although Die Hard 5 was garbage). Jurassic World shat all over Jurassic Park 3 and did gangbusters at the box office (after a weak first few days, during which time the media immediately launched into "it's a bomb!" mode before the public deemed otherwise). Mad Max: Fury Road - fucking EPIC brilliance. Toy Story 3 is arguably the best of the series. So, really, there's a lot of recent precedent for belated sequels to turn out great - fingers crossed GB3 will join that list.
    The first Tron movie is way better than the insipid wannabe-sequel, which did not even feature such key characters of the original as Dillinger, Lora/Yori, and, even more absurdly, Alan/Tron himself/itself, who are relegated to minimal roles. It is a travesty. It should be disregarded and shunned by any true fan. A real sequel to Tron still hasn't been made, as far as I am concerned.

Mad Max: Fury Road was also nonsense, way inferior to the first three films (Beyond Thunderdome being the weakling in the original trilogy, but still better than Fury Road.) It's nothing but a flashy CGI nonsensical and unrealistic fest. You could believe the world of the first 3 Mad Max films. Not that of Fury Road, though. It should be disregarded and shunned by any true fan. Only 3 Mad Max movies have been made, as far as I am concerned.
    Last edited by JDP; 25-Jan-2019 at 03:20 PM. Reason: ;

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    It’s always seemed to me that Fury Road was very well received and enjoyed by most. I know I did, I loved it, actually! I don’t think it’s fair to say someone isn’t a “true fan” because of a difference of opinion, either. Whether someone did or did not enjoy a certain entry, that doesn’t make them any less of a fan or invalidate their opinion one way or the other. And while it indeed has CGI for certain enhancements and excessively dangerous stunts, they actually utilized a ton of practical effects and stunts. More than you see in most action sequences these days.

I enjoy all entries of the series, including Thunderdome. It’s basically it’s own, unique beast, and I love it for it! Endlessly quotable, too.
    Last edited by bassman; 25-Jan-2019 at 03:52 PM. Reason: .

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    The first Tron movie is way better than the insipid wannabe-sequel, which did not even feature such key characters of the original as Dillinger, Lora/Yori, and, even more absurdly, Alan/Tron himself/itself, who are relegated to minimal roles. It is a travesty. It should be disregarded and shunned by any true fan. A real sequel to Tron still hasn't been made, as far as I am concerned.

Mad Max: Fury Road was also nonsense, way inferior to the first three films (Beyond Thunderdome being the weakling in the original trilogy, but still better than Fury Road.) It's nothing but a flashy CGI nonsensical and unrealistic fest. You could believe the world of the first 3 Mad Max films. Not that of Fury Road, though. It should be disregarded and shunned by any true fan. Only 3 Mad Max movies have been made, as far as I am concerned.
    Alright you can get right fucked, JDP. Fury Road was fuckin' brilliant, and way more practical than you're giving it credit for. Did you even watch the making-ofs on the DVD? Now granted, I've not really sat through the other Mad Max films in full, so I can't really compare, but if you think they're better than Fury Road, they must be the best fucking movies of all time. Honestly some of y'all sound like you like older, more male-dominated shit, whether or not that's your intent. I guess Tron Legacy could've been better. I'll say it a third time, let Ghostbusters die and let's do something new. Jurassic World sucked, but so did JP3. And just, no, on Crystal Skull. No.

Super Moderator

UK
    While Tron has its place in cinematic history from a technical and even cultural standpoint, the sequel had the superior story with a much deeper emotional core which built upon the original and it reflects the shift in time. The original film, enjoyable as it is, is essentially about intellectual property theft. That's what all those computer world fights are ultimately about - a corporate bell end was trying to steal credit for a popular videogame. The sequel delves into much deeper territory.

The bulk of the CGI in Fury Road is deployed to change the backgrounds from flat plains to mountainous regions, or clear weather into wild storms. All the actual action, on the other hand, is practical with only the most dangerous stuff being married via CGI from two-or-more individual (but still practical) shots.

Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    Sucks for you, then.

Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Speaking of....I wonder if the barn shown in the teaser is on the Stantz’s land? If any of the original crew were to keep the Ecto and equipment, I imagine it’d be Ray. Could be a neat little nod that he’s living on his family land that they took those three mortgages out on.
    That's exactly what I was thinking as soon as the teaser rolled: 'This must be the Stantz farm!' It'd be cool if it was.

And aye, Clerks 2 was really good. It was never going to be in black & white and it wasn't going to be about people in their 20s. That's what the original movie is about. The sequel had to be about these guys in their 30s and change accordingly. Smith himself had changed and evolved as a filmmaker by that point as well, so of course he's not going to just do the exact same thing. I really don't understand some people's beef with Clerks 2. Yeah, surprisingly enough, a movie from an experienced filmmaker in 2005 isn't like the scrappy first-time effort from a very young man in 1994. Who'd'a thunk it?
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 25-Jan-2019 at 04:16 PM.

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by blind2d View Post
    Alright you can get right fucked, JDP. Fury Road was fuckin' brilliant, and way more practical than you're giving it credit for. Did you even watch the making-ofs on the DVD? Now granted, I've not really sat through the other Mad Max films in full, so I can't really compare, but if you think they're better than Fury Road, they must be the best fucking movies of all time. Honestly some of y'all sound like you like older, more male-dominated shit, whether or not that's your intent. I guess Tron Legacy could've been better. I'll say it a third time, let Ghostbusters die and let's do something new. Jurassic World sucked, but so did JP3. And just, no, on Crystal Skull. No.
    Fury Road was utter nonsense. You would have to be living in an alternate reality, or extremely high, or just a naive kid with little sense of criticism and reality, to really like that junk. Just look at that whole fire-spitting-guitar-guy-on-the-truck utter BULLSHIT, LOL! Fury Road should have been a video game, not a movie. The first 3 films (specially the first two) were way more realistic and believable than that CGI-infested wild fantasy for toddlers who still don't clearly see a sharp distinction between reality and the video games they play. The first 3 movies used nothing but real cars/bikes/trucks & real (and often dangerous) stunts, the way these movies should be made, and thus why they look and feel more realistic. I can believe in the world of the first 3 movies. I sure as fuck can't believe the one in Fury Road!

In conclusion: First 3 Mad Max movies = well-crafted films primarily directed at more mature audiences, Fury Road = wild unrealistic fantasy directed primarily at young and less critical audiences.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Good grief. Opinions can be discussed in a civil manner without resorting to insulting remarks, folks.

Super Moderator

UK
    The Doof Warrior is inspired by the musicians who lead armies into battle over the centuries, to get the troops revved up on adrenaline and ready to fight. This kind of thing is littered throughout humanity, from the Ride of the Valkyries in Apocalypse Now to the All Blacks' Haka before a rugby game. These rituals/methods have been used throughout history - and been represented in our media - to inspire one side and intimidate the other. So it makes total sense. The Doof Warrior is their version of a drummer leading a marching army into battle.

And, again, the action was done practically: real life, real people, real stunts, real shit smashing together and blowing up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ent02yItm60

Rising

United States
    Baloney. The actual movie looks and feels like a video game because CGI was heavily involved. It doesn't look as real and believable as the other movies that were made exclusively the old-fashioned way, no CGI involved anywhere.

Plus musicians in historical armies did not go around making impossible stunts and spitting flames from their instruments. Utter nonsense. That movie was a big pile of "rubbish", as you Brits say.

Super Moderator

UK

This shtick again? Meh. I'm out.

Rising

United States
    Oh, and furthermore... No Mel Gibson = NO MAD MAX!

It's like making Death Wish movies without Charles Bronson, or Dirty Harry movies without Clint Eastwood, or Indiana Jones movies without Harrison Ford, or Conan & Terminator movies without Schwarzenegger. It's just not going to pass muster, at least not with the original generations who enjoyed these movies when they came out (yep, I am in this demographic.) All these actors became so embedded into these roles that it's just not possible to envision them without them.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Well, I’m glad we got that Mad Max stuff out of the way now.

Back to the topic at hand....

I hadn’t included it in this thread because it’s only a rumor and the source can’t be confirmed, but there’s a rumor around the net that the main new characters will be four teenagers. Two male and two female. This hasn’t been mentioned or confirmed by anyone involved, but instead came from someone claiming to be an insider. From what most fans can deduce, the only piece of confirmed information this source stated was the secretive production title they’re working under(Rust City), but that could be easily found by anyone. So at this point, I’m thinking it’s not true and only a clickbait rumor, but we shall see if it’s confirmed by Reitman in the coming months.
    Last edited by bassman; 25-Jan-2019 at 05:52 PM. Reason: .

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Just put him on ignore. It's what I do.