Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Ghostbusters 3 (film) - 2021

Super Moderator

UK
    Yeah ... is it just an advert tie-in, or is it a scene from the movie, or...?

Might it be a bit too silly if that is indeed from the movie?

Still looking forward to GB3, though.

Super Moderator

UK
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaG_5ZZ2PyM

Official Trailer.

Obviously I'm excited, but I'm also quite nervous about it. I dearly hope it's not gonna be all kid-centric, and the notion of a pretty physically small kid operating a Proton Pack just seems really silly to me - the sheer power of it alone would knock them across the room. The guys in the original movie had enough time wrangling those bad boys. Hopefully the CGI won't feel too much or too obvious, either.

Cautiously optimistic. This is high wire stuff Reitman's having to traverse.

Administrator

England
    Looks OK

Sort of a Stranger Things vibe?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Some of the kids kind of remind me of the ones in TWD: Millennial Edition... I mean World Beyond.

Hopefully, it's far better than that shit. And as Minion said, hopefully it's aimed more towards adults than kids, like the original movie was.
    Last edited by beat_truck; 28-Jul-2021 at 05:10 AM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by beat_truck View Post
    Some of the kids kind of remind me of the ones in TWD: Millennial Edition... I mean World Beyond.

Hopefully, it's far better than that shit. And as Minion said, hopefully it's aimed more towards adults than kids, like the original movie was.
    Ghostbusters - the original, of course - plays to everyone, but never 'kidifies' anything or plays down to a kid's level. I adored it as a kid - it was my Star Wars - I was obsessed with it. I loved it as a teen, and I continue to love it to this day as an adult. The funny thing, though, is how many jokes totally went over my head as a kid - e.g. the 'ghost blow job' gag - and then when I watched it when I was about 20, having not seen it in several years, all of a sudden I noticed all these jokes I never got before.

Ghostbusters 2 definitely had some 'pandering to kids' at certain points, or some winks to The Real Ghostbusters, but it still felt quite close to the original despite that, nor was it just an advertisement for toys or anything like that.

The remake ... ... ... ... ...

So yeah, my fingers have never been crossed so hard for a movie. I dearly hope it works!

Administrator

England
    Seems we're not alone with the fingers crossed vibe, and the Stranger Things vibe...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-ORF1h5COg
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Well everybody loves Paul Rudd so it's got that going for it.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    There’s also a trailer commentary/breakdown with Jason Reitman. Lots of interesting tidbits.

They’re still playing this very close to the chest, but I’m 100% sold. Everything they’ve shown feels right and having seen some of the things they have yet to show officially….we’re in for a real treat. I’m keeping expectations in check, but at the same time, it’s obviously going to be a worthy extension of the originals. If it turns out as worthy as it seems, I just hope it does well enough financially to put the franchise back on solid ground.

Super Moderator

UK
    The Guardian hates it:
    https://uk.yahoo.com/movies/ghostbus...141333193.html

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    BEWARE - SPOILER TERRITORY VIA THAT REVIEW! - SO DON'T READ IT, BASICALLY

They don't outright say it, but any GB fan with a passing awareness will be able to figure out The Guardian's 'coded' sentence regarding something in the movie ... in other words, they're super blunt about it and clearly don't give a shit about any fans who might have wanted to go in as unawares as possible.

"...a slimy, stinking corpse of a sequel..."

Then again, the reviewer also decries it for erasing the bullshit remake from continuity (despite the fact that it didn't have any continuity with GB1 or GB2 anyway!!! )

Mind you, some of the things referenced do give me pause and worry.

Even the championing of scientific expertise comes off as overreaching and aggrieved, from Grooberson’s declaration that science is “punk” to the smug superiority of the pint-sized Phoebe. The message is clear, as are its intended recipients: there’s nothing more powerful, important or cool than being a nerd.
    There’s a disturbing sense of ownership over the past in Reitman’s continuity-building, as if he’s the heir apparent entrusted with sacred texts rather than a guy running roughshod over the memory of a movie still a staple of middle-school sleepovers for its laugh quotient. Perhaps it’s appropriate and telling that the 2021 incarnation of an 80s artifact would be imbued with all the issues most endemic to the current studio release. Here, we can find a damning summary of modern Hollywood’s default mode – a nostalgia object, drained of personality and fitted into a dully palatable mold, custom-made for a fandom that worships everything and respects nothing.
    But what's worse? Some arse who has zero respect for the property, or the fans, and just wants to trample all over everything and crowbar in really awkward messaging ... or fan service?

However ... that 'mini Stay Puft monsters in the super market' sequence really gave me a lot of pause ... like a lot.

There's no way it can possibly be as bad as what happened in 2016, but I'm concerned that GB2021 is going to be a long way below the original movies and even the videogame (which was kinda like GB3 anyway).

Administrator

England
    Other reviews seems to like it... So, hmmm...
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Other reviews seems to like it... So, hmmm...
    IGN gave it a 9/10.

I don't pay particular heed to either The Guardian or IGN when it comes to reviews, though, so...

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    If you’re worried about spoilers, you may want to avoid the final trailer that will be dropping soon. It doesn’t directly spoil the plot like a lot of modern trailers, but a GB fan such as MZ can piece together where they’re going with it. There’s currently a bootleg of this trailer making the rounds, so the official release is imminent.

My excitement level is through the roof! Talking to people that were lucky enough to see the movie at NYCC, this is it. This is the one we’ve been waiting 30+ years for, and apparently it delivers.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    If you’re worried about spoilers, you may want to avoid the final trailer that will be dropping soon. It doesn’t directly spoil the plot like a lot of modern trailers, but a GB fan such as MZ can piece together where they’re going with it. There’s currently a bootleg of this trailer making the rounds, so the official release is imminent.

My excitement level is through the roof! Talking to people that were lucky enough to see the movie at NYCC, this is it. This is the one we’ve been waiting 30+ years for, and apparently it delivers.
    Thanks for the tip to avoid the next trailer. I watched the recent Halloween Kills trailer a bit ago and it just showed waaaaaaaaaaay too much (so I've been forcing myself to forget it ahead of seeing the movie).

I'm either hearing seething condemnation or drooling adoration, and I'm not minded to believe either because the former is just butthurt apologists for the 2016 abomination of cinema, and the latter is just too good to be true.

Let us know what you think, Bassman, when you see the flick. I doubt I'll get to the cinema to see this, so it'll be Billy Blu-Ray all the way again.

Super Moderator

UK
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7DWbcxDamc

Latest teaser.

I must say, I've been quite unsure about this one lately ... things like a tweenage girl being able to handle a Proton pack, for instance, just reeks of bullshit (look at how the fully grown men in the original movie struggled to keep them under control in the Hotel sequence with Slimer!), and the mini Stay Pufts just feels a bit too silly and cute ... ... however, this trailer worked for me and warmed my heart.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Gonna try to keep it brief because the movie isn’t really out yet, but MZ….you in particular are in for a treat, my friend. As we’ve talked about before, if GB is your Star Wars, this movie is tailor made for you. It’s an amazing love letter to the fans and franchise.

So in that sense, I’m also biased. I’m not sure how it’s going to play for general audiences, but the new characters are done well. We actually spend the first act getting to know them, with very little GB type stuff, and that pays off. Given the subject matter of the Spengler offspring, it’s not spoiling anything to say that there’s a very high probability that you will shed some tears. We all did.

But yeah, I’m biased so it’s hard to see how normal cinema-goers will respond. I’ve also had a crazy week involving obtaining autographs from all the surviving GB’s(including Murray), Ivan Reitman, Jason Reitman, and McKenna Grace. Been a VERY heavy GB week so I’m on another planet, ATM.

But for you in particular MZ, you need to find a way to see it asap. If it’s spoiled, you’ll be missing out big time. I’ll save my detailed criticisms for later, but overall it’s a fun, humorous adventure film with some truly touching moments. I can’t imagine a better GB3 at this point. A great trilogy capper that Jason Reitman clearly made for the fans.