Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ghostbusters 3 (film) - 2021

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

Ghostbusters 3 (film) - 2021

It’s been announced that Jason Reitman, son of original director Ivan Reitman, is already in development on Ghostbusters 3, which will be a continuation of the original franchise, even after the disappointing Paul Feig remake.

Teaser, which gave me all types of moody feels:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6W3VQp9Cc8
    Last edited by bassman; 16-Jan-2019 at 07:03 PM. Reason: .

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    OMG, let it die! Fuck, jesus...

Rising

United States
    Is Ray Parker Jr. doing the theme song again?

Ireland
    Ghostbusters had its day in 1984.

Amazes me how they keep trying to mine this thing.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    Is Ray Parker Jr. doing the theme song again?
    Nothing is known other than Jason Reitman co-wrote the script in secret with Gil Keenan(sp?), he’ll also direct, and his father/original director, Ivan Reitman is producing and heavily involved. Any other cast or crew hasn’t been released at this point, but Jason did say in the press release that they are well down the line on production and he wants to slowly unveil the rest as they go. Being that they explicitly call this “ a direct sequel”, I think it’s safe to assume Parker Jr’s tune will be involved. They even used it in Feig’s film.

Quote Originally Posted by blind2d View Post
    OMG, let it die! Fuck, jesus...
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Ghostbusters had its day in 1984.

Amazes me how they keep trying to mine this thing.
    I hear you guys. But as with any older franchise with a built-in fan base, they’re going to use it for SOMETHING. Even though I enjoyed Feig’s remake for certain things, they kinda screwed the pooch by not doing this “legacy” film first. Casual viewers are even more cautious about this IP now...

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Nothing is known other than Jason Reitman co-wrote the script in secret with Gil Keenan(sp?), he’ll also direct, and his father/original director, Ivan Reitman is producing and heavily involved. Any other cast or crew hasn’t been released at this point, but Jason did say in the press release that they are well down the line on production and he wants to slowly unveil the rest as they go. Being that they explicitly call this “ a direct sequel”, I think it’s safe to assume Parker Jr’s tune will be involved. They even used it in Feig’s film.
    Did they use the original version of the song in the woeful remake? I can't recall ... but I do recall that dreadful cover version by Fallout Boy ... ... good fudging god that was shite.

The 'legacy'/'passing of the torch' idea - which we're assuming this is - should have been what happened in 2016. Remaking an all-time classic is an idiotic idea, as stupid as remaking Back to the Future or Casablanca.

A resurgence of spooky doings requiring the Ghostbusters to re-emerge, only now they're too old (or dead), so the remaining members must train new 'busters (hopefully they pick a cast of newbies wisely, I want a smart selection with even some surprising-but-wise choices, not stoner buddies or innumerable 'jokes' about wontons and piss poor attempts at being 'political') ... could work.

We also had a fun version of essentially 'Ghostbusters 3' in the form of the 2009 videogame. That introduced the idea of training a new recruit, albeit with the O.G. 'busters still relatively young/middle aged.

I'm hoping the utter bugger up that was the 2016 remake has focused minds and provided lessons, and that Jason Reitman can pull this off. The dude's proved himself time and again to be a wonderful director with an interest in intriguing stories and characters, so hopefully that transfers over to Ghostbusters 2020.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Did they use the original version of the song in the woeful remake? I can't recall ... but I do recall that dreadful cover version by Fallout Boy ... ... good fudging god that was shite.
    IIRC, the original theme is used for the film’s title after the opening scene at the mansion, but after that it’s either Fallout Boy or that “Get Ghost” dance version.

I'm hoping the utter bugger up that was the 2016 remake has focused minds and provided lessons, and that Jason Reitman can pull this off. The dude's proved himself time and again to be a wonderful director with an interest in intriguing stories and characters, so hopefully that transfers over to Ghostbusters 2020.
    That’s my hope, that he can bring the series back to it’s roots. I think if anyone could do it, it’s probably Jason Reitman. His comments in the press release seem to point toward him having a real love of the characters and a strong idea that he brought to Ivan:

”I love everything about it. The iconography. The music. The tone,” Reitman says. “I remember being on set and seeing them try out the card catalog gag for the first time when the library ghost makes them come flying out. I remember the day they killed Stay Puft and I brought home a hardened piece of foam that just sat on a shelf for years. I was scared there was a terror dog underneath my bed before people knew what a terror dog was.

I’ve always thought of myself as the first Ghostbusters fan, when I was a 6-year-old visiting the set. I wanted to make a movie for all the other fans,” Reitman says. “This is the next chapter in the original franchise. It is not a reboot. What happened in the ‘80s happened in the ‘80s, and this is set in the present day.”

When he began making his own movies, starting with 2005’s Thank You for Smoking, Reitman was often asked in interviews if he’d ever want to make his own Ghostbusters movie.
    “I think I said, ‘There’d be no busting,’” he recalls with a laugh.
    The truth is, he often wondered about making one, too: “I’ve thought about this franchise and it has occupied a piece of my heart for basically as long as I can remember.”

His father will produce the movie. “It will be a passing of the torch both inside and out,” says Ivan, adding that he’s touched his son wanted to join this part of the family business.
    “It was a decision he had to come to himself. He worked really hard to be independent and developed a wonderful career on his own. So I was quite surprised when he came to me with Gil and said, ‘I know I’ve been saying for 10 years I’m the last person who should make a Ghostbusters movie, but…I have this idea.’ Literally, I was crying by the end of it, it was so emotional and funny.”

Ireland
    I hear you guys. But as with any older franchise with a built-in fan base, they’re going to use it for SOMETHING. Even though I enjoyed Feig’s remake for certain things, they kinda screwed the pooch by not doing this “legacy” film first. Casual viewers are even more cautious about this IP now...
    See, the thing is lad (and I know you love this flick) there is no real "Ghostbusters franchise". It never really existed in the terms that we know it as today, like the MCU, Star Trek or Star Wars. There was a good film, a crappy sequel, a cartoon, a game and some toys and that was kind of it really. But that's not really a franchise, as it were, and why does everything have to be a bloody "franchise" anyway. I'm beginning to hate that word. The answer is money of course, but you know what I mean.

Don't get me wrong though, it they can make it work, cool and I'll happily eat my hat if it's any use. But, 'Ghostbusters' was something that sparked a, frankly, ridiculous reaction in 1984 and nothing has come close to reactivating that in over 30 years.

It's just a dead thing really, that some people (hello Sony) are desperately trying to voodoo for money and everyone is just too old now in any case.

It's time to start singing Elsa's song from 'Frozen'.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Franchise might have been a strong word, I see what you’re saying, but my point was more that the GB brand isn’t going away anytime soon, so at the very least this is more of a step in the right direction as compared to Feig’s film. The pieces seem to match(so far), so I’m hoping they can make something that’s worthy of the original.

While GB certainly regained a more nostalgic presence over the last ten years or so, there have always been lots of devoted fans to the IP, much like you’d see with Star Wars. It may not have been as visible to the public as the SW fans, but it was always there. So to me, I suppose it’s always felt like a franchise, even before the more recent surge in popularity. Between films, cartoons, comics, models, games, figures, props, etc.....it’s always FELT like a franchise, IMO. I’ve owned some version of a proton pack for almost my entire life.

Super Moderator

UK
    While GB certainly regained a more nostalgic presence over the last ten years or so, there have always been lots of devoted fans to the IP, much like you’d see with Star Wars. It may not have been as visible to the public as the SW fans, but it was always there. So to me, I suppose it’s always felt like a franchise, even before the more recent surge in popularity. Between films, cartoons, comics, models, games, figures, props, etc.....it’s always FELT like a franchise, IMO. I’ve owned some version of a proton pack for almost my entire life.
    ^^^

This. Furthermore, the 'no ghost' logo is one of the most recognised symbols across the globe, much like Coca-Cola.

Especially in my childhood, Ghostbusters was my Star Wars. The movies, The Real Ghostbusters cartoon (and further cartoons such as Extreme Ghostbusters), the toys (boy, there were a lot of toys), stickers, the music, comics, the awesome 2009 videogame, further videogames on multiple platforms, indeed there have been GB videogames since the NES generation, arcade machines, pinball machines, and a vast array of branded merchandise - a movie franchise it most certainly is. Just because it's two movies (soon to be three), doesn't mean that it isn't one.

You're not much of a fan of the GB franchise, Shoot, we understand, but just because you aren't, doesn't mean milllllllions of other folks aren't. Ergo - beloved franchise the world over.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 18-Jan-2019 at 04:17 PM.

Rising

United States
    the awesome 2009 videogame, further videogames on multiple platforms, indeed there have been GB videogames since the NES generation
    Actually the first Ghostbusters video game came out in the same year as the movie, made for Activision by the great David Crane (also programmed Pitfall! & Pitfall II: Lost Caverns, among others) and released for a bunch of the personal computers of those times, like the Commodore 64, the Atari 800 and the Spectrum 48K:

Spent quite a while in my C64 & Speccy playing this thing.

Super Moderator

UK
    Oh yeah, I'd forgotten about that one.

Ireland
    You're not much of a fan of the GB franchise, Shoot, we understand, but just because you aren't, doesn't mean milllllllions of other folks aren't. Ergo - beloved franchise the world over.
    Are there actually "millllllllions" of Ghostbusters fans out there though? Maybe there is. I think the vast majority of people just think of it as an 80's movie, with an awful remake.

I dunno.

Personally, I was quite surprised at all the reaction to the 2016 'Ghostbusters'. While it was a shite film, the thing that struck me were these 40 somethings (mostly Americans) writing on movie fan sites about it. I never really knew that there were "Ghostbusters fans" as it were.

- - - Updated - - -

Franchise might have been a strong word, I see what you’re saying, but my point was more that the GB brand isn’t going away anytime soon, so at the very least this is more of a step in the right direction as compared to Feig’s film. The pieces seem to match(so far), so I’m hoping they can make something that’s worthy of the original.

Oh, it certainly isn't going away if Sony have anything to do with it. They're desperately try to turn it into a "thing". Although, I think if this one sucks, it might disappear for a while.

I suppose over here, Ghostbusters never really took hold like it did with some folk in America. I mean it was huge here in 1984, the year of both 'Ghostbusters' and 'Gremlins', but after that you would have been hard pressed to find anyone talk about it in the same terms that fans of Star Wars or Star Trek would.
    Last edited by shootemindehead; 19-Jan-2019 at 12:10 PM. Reason: .

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Personally, I was quite surprised at all the reaction to the 2016 'Ghostbusters'. While it was a shite film, the thing that struck me were these 40 somethings (mostly Americans) writing on movie fan sites about it. I never really knew that there were "Ghostbusters fans" as it were.
    It’s popular enough to cause all the sexist hoopla of the 2016 Feig film, I suppose. That seemed to be everywhere. Very embarrassing that the vocal minority caused such an uproar all over the net. Most GB fans just wanted a good movie.

I do understand where you’re coming from, shoot. Might just be one of those place and time situations. It IS a big fan base though. Funny you said “ghostbusters fans”, actually. Type gbfans.com into your browser. Lots of those places where they discuss it all just like we do here with Romero.

- - - Updated - - -

Jason Reitman tweeted what I found to be an interesting tidbit: the teaser trailer uses practical effects, even for the “Summer 2020” title card, for which they pulled the original 84 font from the Sony Archives. Little details like this only make me more giddy about the possibilities!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BsyGJijg...on_share_sheet

For the teaser, @mybrokenglasses built a stencil from the original GB84 lettering in the Columbia Pictures archive, then shot it practically with smoke and light! #GB20

Super Moderator

UK
    I'm baffled by Shoot having such trouble grasping that Ghostbusters has a huge and passionate global fanbase.

Star Wars and Star Trek aren't quite a fair measure, though, as those are two franchises that are kind of unlike any other franchise out there. They're in a different league entirely. Plus, they've both been around longer, both have far more movies and TV shows to their names, and the breadth of material and merch of all forms linked to the properties are unheard of. The very nature of the universes in which those franchises are set allows for such a wide range of storytelling opportunities. Star Wars changed the path of cinema itself in 1977.

The fandom of Ghostbusters is more subtly weaved into the fabric of our society, but it's no less recognisable.

Bass - hopefully this level of respect and reverance, the love and the joy for Ghostbusters will bleed through into the new movie, but also be handled in a good way (i.e. not bog things down). The remake resembled toddlers chewing on a mint condition collectable.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 19-Jan-2019 at 04:40 PM.