Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Ghostbusters 3 (film) - 2021

Administrator

England
    OK... Watched it this afternoon. I can't think of the last time - if ever - I went to the cinema alone, but I had the day off and thought what the hell.

Some very nice elements to it, which were probably stronger in the first half to the second. There's a sort of Harold Ramis pull on the heart strings thingy going on in the last 5 mins of the film, which after a while felt a tad clumsy and too over used. Should have dialed it down IMHO.

But a good GB (sequel) flick...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    I saw Mark Kermode's review - he doesn't like it ... ... but bear in mind that in his review he also said that Ghostbusters (the original 1984 film) was nowhere near as funny as he remembered it being (his co-host even called it "icky"!!!), and he also said that the 2016 film was "funnier" on 2nd viewing and lazily dismissed all criticism of that poorly written, dunderheaded, fan-hating waste of time as just misogyny. *sigh*

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I saw Mark Kermode's review - he doesn't like it ... ... but bear in mind that in his review he also said that Ghostbusters (the original 1984 film) was nowhere near as funny as he remembered it being (his co-host even called it "icky"!!!), and he also said that the 2016 film was "funnier" on 2nd viewing and lazily dismissed all criticism of that poorly written, dunderheaded, fan-hating waste of time as just misogyny. *sigh*
    Well, as I said, the first 1/2 or so is better than the second, and it has some bad points... but plenty enough good ones to make it a worthwhile sequel IMHO.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Great Britain

nice review from the Red Letter Media guys, they sum it up pretty well.

Also Mike calling the movie "Nostalgia bukkake" is pretty funny.

Ireland
    ^
    Can't say that I'm the least bit surprised by anything in that review. It sums up my suspicions abut this film completely.

I'm continually amazed at this ridiculous effort to keep trying to make a "franchise" out of a film that was really a one and done in 1984.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Administrator

England
    That review above comes across as trying to be critical to me. Yeh the film has its issues but it has some nice elements in there IMHO. I enjoyed it overall...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6qPKaGYUaI
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Finally got around to seeing this as the Blu-Ray was just released - and I'm just gonna talk freely about it, so spoilers abound below.

As Bassman said earlier in the thread, Ghostbusters is like my Star Wars - in that, so many people talk about Star Wars being this cornerstone of their childhood that just obsessed them as a kid, well, that's how I am about Ghostbusters.

Going into this, therefore, I had an awful lot of trepidation and having now seen it, I'll say this ... fuck me am I relieved!

There was literally only one shit bit that I would have scorched out of the script, which was the line by Lucky in response to Gozer being described as neither he nor she (something like "Wow, that's pretty woke for two thousand years ago") ... it's such a shit line that sticks out like the sorest of sore thumbs and just wasn't needed.

Also, I would have tweaked the scene of Phoebe first using the Proton pack just a bit - had her knocked over upon first firing, then she learns how much physicality she needs to put into it, and then get a blast going. Still, it wasn't too bad that moment, as 'Podcast' states she has her 'feet planted'.

Upon hearing of a character called 'Podcast' I cringed, especially as podcasting characters is almost a cliche at this point it's been done so often in recent years ... however, quite mercifully, the character was actually quite enjoyable and had good chemistry with Phoebe.

Speaking of, for a movie with so many young characters, they actually managed to find actors capable of pulling them off - as well as writing them properly. The kids weren't at all annoying and it never really felt like they were doing really stupid things for stupid reasons, the way certain scenes played out felt fairly organic and kind of like something getting out of hand by accident despite best intentions (e.g. when they chase after Muncher).

One of the other aspects I was concerned about were the Mini Pufts. It seemed too cutesy to me, almost a silly gimmick to play to audiences ... but in the context of the movie it actually works quite well, and it's actually pretty fucked up the stuff that they do to each other. There's so many little details of things that they do, like skewering their chums onto a spike to roast them alive (while one pulls itself along the stick to try and grab it's assailant).

There was a review I read somewhere, possibly in Total Film, where the end credits scene between Peter and Dana was somehow a #MeToo swipe at the original movie, or some such bullshit, but when I saw that scene there was nothing at all in there concerning that. Literally nothing (which is good news), but it just goes to show how fucking delusional some film reviewers can be and how rampantly obsessive identity politics really has poisoned people's world views whereby they can't see anything without twisting it somehow. The whole reason for that scene is to really establish only two things: 1) Peter and Dana are together and are happily married, and 2) Get Sigourney Weaver into the flick.

This leads me onto another thing: there's so many late in the day sequels that come along which love to tear down the beloved characters of the earlier films (e.g. Luke Skywalker), but here in this movie most of the characters are in good places and have lead good lives. Peter and Dana are still together and have been successful in life, Winston has been really successful in life and is supporting Ray who's happily working away in his old Occult Books shop. Even the backstory with Egon, while having some darkness in it, was all for a good cause that was true to his character and pursuit, and then the scenes where his daughter finds out he was still keeping track of her and still loved her was very sweet - indeed, those closing scenes with the orginal 'Busters together again were so nice to see, and it really did bring a tear to my eye when they finally showed Egon's ghost helping Phoebe guide her Proton beam.

They did a great job with Phoebe, a character on the autism spectrum, without making a big deal out of it - it was just who she was and she really did feel like a chip off the old Spengler block.

Speaking of Egon, that whole opening sequence had me hooked - the mystery of it, the energy of it, the subtle glimpses of Egon. A great set-up for the whole flick.

The "Who ya gonna call?" moment in the jail was a bit too wink-wink with the dramatic pause, but it was forgivable, and the final end credits scene was a nice touch between Janine and Winston with that touching little gesture at the very end.

The whole movie felt like it respected the franchise as much as the fans do, and it didn't feel like blatant 'fan service' or 'nostalgia bukkake' to me. It felt pretty organic. The music contained enough beats to tingle the senses, but it also played around with the notes and themes to put them into new places, and arguably a lot of references that tied to the original (e.g. scanning the original optical effects of the 'ghost trails') just works because the plot involves Ivo Shandor and the mine where the metal was mined from to build Dana Barrett's apartment building where the original movie's finale took place. Even if some beats of the climax repeat the events of the first, it felt justified.

It also wasn't just fan service because it was fairly restrained. The movie wasn't chock full of ghosts roaming all over the place (and, for example, there was no Slimer) and it kept a close focus on the characters who were well written and performed. You cared about these people, even though they're new characters, but you felt that connection because it's Egon's family. In lesser hands this material could have been fucked up considerably, but I think GB3 is a testament to a very thoughtful and respectful approach to the film. What they could do, what they should do, and what they shouldn't do.

So, yeah - major relief from me. I really enjoyed it and will be watching it again pretty soon, I reckon.

Administrator

England
    Glad you enjoyed it. I generally thought it did a good job. The first half felt stronger than the second for me. And I felt they milked the total f*** out of the Egon scene at the end, which should have been trimmed down IMHO, but generally a good fun addition to the franchise...
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Glad you enjoyed it. I generally thought it did a good job. The first half felt stronger than the second for me. And I felt they milked the total f*** out of the Egon scene at the end, which should have been trimmed down IMHO, but generally a good fun addition to the franchise...
    I was fine with the amount of Egon at the end. They had to give a moment between him and numerous people: 1) the OG 'Busters, 2) the grandson, 3) the granddaughter, and 4) the daughter. You couldn't leave one of those out, even though the grandson is the least of the four by a clear margin, but the other three are all vital scenes to tie up the threads of the story.

I thought it was interesting, and wise, to not have him speak (i.e. by using a voice-alike, or manipulating dialogue from other movies or interviews). There was something simpler and more touching about that, and in some ways something more Egon-like about it.

Considering how much of the movie was 'new' or 'different' to the original two, it still felt remarkably grounded within the world and DNA of the original two. There's a couple of fair comments in the Critical Drinker's overview of the movie, although I wouldn't call Lucky the 'Venkman' of the group by any stretch of the imagination. Her character was almost pointless in a way, beyond giving the grandson more stuff to do and have his own little side story beyond ghost stuff (a teen boy in a strange town - it's gonna be about cars and girls in the end).

One thing - I think they needed a little more in the way of 'stunned/awestruck' reactions at certain times. You've got incontrovertible proof in front of your very eyes of the afterlife and ghosts and yet you seem to be taking it quite well. Sometimes they did get those moments, like Grooberson's reaction to the Terror Dog, and even Phoebe on occasion looked a little blown away by all that was going on at times at least.

The 'Egon lamp' moment skirted close to the line, but ultimately there was something quite sweet about it. There was a bit of humour to it (illuminating the wall of degrees), but there was also heart to it as well. The lamp didn't feel like it was a character, rather something manipulated by a character. I loved the bit with the chessboard as an early sign of communication, too.

Super Moderator

UK
    Just watched this for the second time in five days and I still love it - phew!

On second watch, I did see that Phoebe in particular was more puzzled and even stunned by the paranormal events going on around her than my initial viewing suggested. Indeed, there's also the line about how overstimulation calms her as well, and of course, the film does have to catch up to viewers as well (i.e. you couldn't just keep having everyone be totally bowled-over by all this paranormal stuff going on).

Egon's return in the final once again brought a tear to my eye. I didn't think they milked it at all. Everyone gets their little moment. It could have easily gone on longer, they could have got a voice-alike etc, but they kept it to an appropriate level.

It's very well written, too, especially when you consider the tightrope act that Gil Kenan and Jason Reitman had to pull off. There's so many 'different' elements with this flick compared to the first two, but there's also a lot of familiar stuff, but it's used in a way that provides a new chapter to the story.

Most of all, it's a film that not only respects the material but also respects the fans.