Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NOTLD 1990: The Unseen Version

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    It must be terribly frustrating to go through all the rigmarole of creating the effects, setting them up, setting up the shot, shooting and then editing, only to have some ass, who had no input into the production of the film, say it has to be cut out.

I think a few instances of that nonsense and I'd be looking for anew line of work to be honest.

Although, it's a much situation these days.
    Any interview with the director of Friday the 13th Part 7 shows just this kind of frustration. Behind the hyperbolic language he tends to use ("the MPAA raped my movie", he said in an interview from several years ago), you can see the absolute frustration. Further compounded by his battles with one of the producers on the movie sticking their oar in, believing they were some creative genius, but actually only coming up with shite ideas that had to be fixed at extra cost.

Not so much of an issue nowadays, as you say, although what we see a lot of now is 'cutting for category', whereby distributors/studios actually want to censor their movies in order to get a lower rating (e.g. drop an 18 to a 15, or a 15 to a 12) in order to get more bums on seats. I can understand the mentality behind it, and as long as the fully uncut version hits home media I don't mind so much (as sometimes happens), but I've seen plenty instances where the cut cinema version is what gets rolled out onto DVD/BR.

Fresh Meat

United States
    You can check out the cut footage here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6KDCGobDG4

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by electrohed View Post
    You can check out the cut footage here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6KDCGobDG4
    Hmmm... I don't see a lot different there!?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Hmmm ... that's more alternative edits as its from the early "workprint version", so it won't all be about gore and such. The infamous 'head shot' isn't included in there, for instance.

United States
    ^

oh, but it is, amigo. about 4:50 in....at least, that's the one i think we're referring to....if not, i'd sure like to see the one that is more impressive than that!

bill moseley's lines in the opening are so deeply etched in my brain that it sounds odd even hearing the exact same words in a slightly different tone.

i have three different releases of this on blu ray, plus a dvd copy, but i'd shell out for it again if they ever found a way to properly include the stuff that didn't make the cut.
    Last edited by ProfessorChaos; 26-Mar-2019 at 04:34 AM. Reason: why is this still a thing? YA BUNCH OF YO-YOS!

Administrator

England
    I've got a complete copy of the "work print version" on VHS. I just don't have a VHS player any more
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    ^

oh, but it is, amigo. about 4:50 in....at least, that's the one i think we're referring to....if not, i'd sure like to see the one that is more impressive than that!

Oh aye, you're right. I must have skimmed past that moment!

Been a while since I watched my DVD of it.

United States
    That headshot lol

Really wish this flick was never neutered. Still great, though.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    That headshot lol

Really wish this flick was never neutered. Still great, though.
    Aye me too.

Bloody MPAA destroyed everything in the 90's.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

United States
    Did anyone else pre-order this book? If so, have you received it in the mail yet? I just saw that it is available on Amazon, and they say they release day was September 3rd, but I have not received my copy yet.

Edit: well I sent an email, got a quick response saying that the estimated shipping date is sometime early in October still, and Amazon has the wrong listing for the release date. Apparently an email went out last week to all who placed pre-orders, but I don't think I got it.
    Last edited by ProfessorChaos; 30-Sep-2019 at 02:35 PM. Reason: .

United States
    received an email with a tracking number today, but it didn't specify which carrier will have it, but it looks to be on its way at least!

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I love Night90, but yeah I agree that it’s disappointing that Savini wasn’t given the opportunity to execute all of his ideas. It’s well documented that a lot was cut, Savini at one point even saying that he thinks the edits helped the film, so it should be interesting to see what he’d originally intended.
    I really like it too!

I've seen his spliced togethor rough cut with extra footage and it's hard to tell if it would have been much different TBH...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    received an email with a tracking number today, but it didn't specify which carrier will have it, but it looks to be on its way at least!
    Expect a review
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    okay, well, it arrived yesterday, got around to looking at it this evening, and to be honest, it's a bit of a let-down. it's pretty much what is advertised, as the bulk of the book (about 110 of the 140 or so pages) are just storyboards. there are like 6 square images per page, and you have to turn the damn book sideways to look at them in their proper orientation. there are a few pages of an introduction by tom savini, and every page or so of the storyboards has a couple sentences about what was cut out, what never got filmed, etc. there's also a couple paragraphs transcripted from interviews with bill moseley and patricia tallman before the storyboard start and a gallery at the end with several photos i'd not seen before from behind the scenes and close-up shots of featured zombies.

as for the major differences that stood out to me, here they are, for those curious:

zombie POV shots (kinda silly, if you ask me)
    tom catches on fire before the truck and causes the pumps to explode (would have been cool to see, the storyboard pics looked pretty cool)
    helen tries to perform CPR on karen, who reanimates and bites her lip off...helen grabs a garden trowel to defend herself but can't bring herself to hurt her daughter
    barbara shoots johnny as she is leaving the house when things are falling apart
    the film ends with ben and harry's corpses laying on each other, pretty much face to face, as they burn with the other victims of the night's mayhem the next day

there are various other ideas mr. savini had for cinematic effects and whatnot, but most of them were just for visual artsy-fartsy purposes. seems as if his hands were pretty tied by time and budgetary constraints as well as micro-managing, backstabbing, and unnecessary meddling by the studio, and he comes off as rather bitter about some of it to this day. can't really blame the guy, however.

it's not a terrible book, and i have spent 20 bucks on dumber things, for sure, but it's sorta underwhelming. there are no color photos, and the cover art is rather blurry and splotchy-looking. not really cram-packed with information either. still a neat read for fans of the 1990 version, but i managed to get through the entire thing cover-to-cover in less than 2 hours.

our very own lee karr's book on the making of day of the dead blows this one out of the water in terms of content and quality. i've still not got around to finishing that, but it is chock-full of rare photos, sketches, and gobs and gobs of text. that book is a true labor of love, and this one seems like something thrown together on a whim. i guess i was expecting something along the lines of that when i ordered this, so all in all i am a bit disappointed. i'm not not recommending it, but it's probably something only real film buffs and die-hard fans of savini or this film would really appreciate.

5/10
    Last edited by ProfessorChaos; 11-Oct-2019 at 04:27 AM. Reason: .

Ireland
    Ah...that's a pity.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....