Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NOTLD 1990: The Unseen Version

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

NOTLD 1990: The Unseen Version

In October 2019, Happy Cloud Media will be releasing Night of the Living Dead 1990: The Unseen Version in paperback. The book will feature never-released storyboards of Tom Savini’s original vision, behind the scenes photos, and annotations from the director.

Happy Cloud Media’s announcement:

In 1990, the eagerly-awaited remake of the seminal horror film, Night of the Living Dead, was released to theaters. Produced by the original team, the new film had a director in special effects maestro Tom Savini. His vision for the film was a gutsy, visual feast that would, he promised, “make death scary again.”

Disappointingly, for one reason or another, many of Savini’s most outrageous sequences were left unfilmed and unrealized. Now, for the first time, fans of the film can see for themselves the director’s unique vision for Night of the Living Dead 1990.

Happy Cloud Media, LLC is proud to announce the upcoming publication of Mr. Savini’s storyboards as realized by artist Brad Hunter, never before available in their entirety, and thoroughly annotated by the director himself.

Accompanied throughout by rare behind-the-scenes set photos, Night of the Living Dead 1990: The Original Vision will be a valued addition to any horror fan’s bookshelf. A rare glimpse into the work done prior to the cameras rolling, before the first actor is cast, there is the script, the director, and the ideas.

https://happycloudpictures.net/notld90/

The book is currently up for preorder at $19.99.
    Last edited by bassman; 26-Jan-2019 at 07:35 PM. Reason: .

Rising

United States
    Even though I liked it, I was a bit disappointed by this movie. Even saw it at the movie theater right when it came out. I won tickets to see it through a radio promotion the day it opened nation-wide; you had to be the first to call the station (Z-Rock, Texas' premiere hard rock & heavy metal station at the time, now gone; these guys obviously loved zombies, even their logo was a zombie head! https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...inal_zrock.png) whenever you heard creepy zombie moans in the background to win the tickets. So, I was "glued" to the radio, with the phone right by my side, and I friggin' nailed it and got the free tickets. I was indeed expecting it to be a splatter-fest, with Savini at the helm and all, but I found it quite "tame". It is actually less gory than the original.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I love Night90, but yeah I agree that it’s disappointing that Savini wasn’t given the opportunity to execute all of his ideas. It’s well documented that a lot was cut, Savini at one point even saying that he thinks the edits helped the film, so it should be interesting to see what he’d originally intended.

United States
    i saw this yesterday and pre-ordered it right away. night 90 isn't a perfect movie, but it's a damn good remake that stands right alongside the original in my book.

Ireland
    Disappointingly, for one reason or another, many of Savini’s most outrageous sequences were left unfilmed and unrealized.
    There is no "other" reason. The only reason is that the production was wary that if they put any gore scenes into the film, the MPAA would ask them to cut them. The late 80's and into the 90's was the absolute worst time for horror movies. They were tame as fuck and when released on video, were generally cut even further.

So Savini and co just didn't bother because they knew it would have been pointless. It's a bit of a shame, because the one thing that the film could do with was a bit of gore.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    There is no "other" reason. The only reason is that the production was wary that if they put any gore scenes into the film, the MPAA would ask them to cut them. The late 80's and into the 90's was the absolute worst time for horror movies. They were tame as fuck and when released on video, were generally cut even further.

So Savini and co just didn't bother because they knew it would have been pointless. It's a bit of a shame, because the one thing that the film could do with was a bit of gore.
    And the irony is, even after taming things down the MPAA still cut stuff out and now those snippets are just on scruffy VHS tapes with no original elements remaining, so they'll never be re-inserted into the movie.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I imagine the “one reason or another” was just the book’s production company avoiding calling out another organization, the MPAA, in their press release for their own product.

Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    And the irony is, even after taming things down the MPAA still cut stuff out and now those snippets are just on scruffy VHS tapes with no original elements remaining, so they'll never be re-inserted into the movie.
    It’s been a while since I’ve watched the Night90 documentary, but is it confirmed that the negatives for these deleted scenes were destroyed? If so, is there a reason given? I have a hard time seeing Columbia Pictures NOT keeping most of the edits in a vault somewhere. Especially by the late eighties/early nineties. Sure, the movie didn’t set the world on fire, but by then most film edits were being stored by the major film studios for potential future use.
    Last edited by bassman; 26-Jan-2019 at 11:33 AM. Reason: .

Ireland
    Yeh. There was a pretty neat shotgun head scene that was in and got cut. Something that wouldn't even register today.
    Last edited by shootemindehead; 26-Jan-2019 at 12:03 PM. Reason: .

United States
    When I saw all the gore that was left out I was stunned. I always imagined how much better this would have been; considering how good it already is. Shame.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    It’s been a while since I’ve watched the Night90 documentary, but is it confirmed that the negatives for these deleted scenes were destroyed? If so, is there a reason given? I have a hard time seeing Columbia Pictures NOT keeping most of the edits in a vault somewhere. Especially by the late eighties/early nineties. Sure, the movie didn’t set the world on fire, but by then most film edits were being stored by the major film studios for potential future use.
    As I recall that's currently the case - the cut footage no longer exists, just those scruffy clips from a VHS copy of the uncut film.

That doesn't mean they might not be out there somewhere ... but then again, it's highly unlikely that an unedited copy of the original elements was released anywhere. The world basically gets the version that the MPAA have deemed okay for North America, unfortunately.

Administrator

England
    As I recall that's currently the case - the cut footage no longer exists, just those scruffy clips from a VHS copy of the uncut film.

That doesn't mean they might not be out there somewhere ... but then again, it's highly unlikely that an unedited copy of the original elements was released anywhere. The world basically gets the version that the MPAA have deemed okay for North America, unfortunately.
    I have it on VHS... But I no longer have a VHS player
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed

Since they first submitted an uncensored version to the MPAA there's a Master print out there with the head shot included (and whatever else was cut). Probably in some vault, I guess.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    Since they first submitted an uncensored version to the MPAA there's a Master print out there with the head shot included (and whatever else was cut). Probably in some vault, I guess.
    That headshot, though.....
    Last edited by Moon Knight; 27-Jan-2019 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Ayyyye
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    That headshot, though.....
    Even with the very rough VHS footage, it indeed is quite a wonderful effect. Really it makes me wonder what other kind of inventive effects and deaths they originally had in mind. With the inventive deaths Savini came up with for Day, I imagine Vulich and company had some similar things in store for Night90.

Ireland
    It must be terribly frustrating to go through all the rigmarole of creating the effects, setting them up, setting up the shot, shooting and then editing, only to have some ass, who had no input into the production of the film, say it has to be cut out.

I think a few instances of that nonsense and I'd be looking for anew line of work to be honest.

Although, it's a much situation these days.