Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Snyder's Army of the Dead (Netflix 2021)

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by beat_truck View Post
    Holy fuck does this movie look and sound like cringe-worthy shit!

I think I'd honestly rather watch something like Oasis of the Zombies or The Alien Dead. For some reason, I can tolerate old low budget garbage a lot better than I can multi-million dollar budget modern garbage. At least they aren't CGI shit fests and full of modern cliches.
    Its not horribly bad it just meanders a lot, Zack could have Trimmed an easy 30-40 minutes out of this film.

I have watched it a few times, it does grow on you as you watch it more. MZ and I were talking about 2 of the characters we liked the most (Vanderohe and Dieter) they kind of save the movie, but yes this thing copied everything from Aliens to Zombie Apocalypse (2011)
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    Its not horribly bad it just meanders a lot, Zack could have Trimmed an easy 30-40 minutes out of this film.

I have watched it a few times, it does grow on you as you watch it more. MZ and I were talking about 2 of the characters we liked the most (Vanderohe and Dieter) they kind of save the movie, but yes this thing copied everything from Aliens to Zombie Apocalypse (2011)
    Well, I wouldn't say those two characters saved the movie - by any means - but certainly out of the scant characterisation we got, they ended up having the most connection and chemistry on-screen.

The characters in the likes of AOTD or Sucker Punch all feel like characters from a 90s videogame character selection screen - they all have a cool look and one short paragraph of backstory and that's your lot, you pick one and have them punch/shoot a load of stuff.

Also, yeah, there was no need for this to be 2 hours 20 minutes by the time the credits roll. The entire subplot about the quarantine camp woman who went missing, for instance, could have been removed entirely considering how bullshit that all was - she just vanished, as far as I could tell, at the end of the movie.

Administrator

England

There was a far more interesting film somewhere in there, but it feels like it went thru script hell, so what came out was an appalling script...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    There was a far more interesting film somewhere in there, but it feels like it went thru script hell, so what came out was an appalling script...
    Considering how long it apparently took, there was no excuse for the script to have that many problems. There was all that time to fix all those issues - did they not know how? Did they not care? Did they not see anything wrong with that script? Eesh.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, they opened that vault full of TWO HUNDRED MILLION DOLLARS and how were they gonna transport it? Some duffel bags? That's some serious weight - and actual space to be taken up with that cash. How on earth were they ever going to fit $200m PLUS the whole team inside a Huey?!

And just watched that "Pitch Meeting" video at last - fuck that was spot-on!

Seriously. Snyder, dude, HIRE A WRITER WORTH A DAMN!!!
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 26-May-2021 at 04:40 PM.

Great Britain
    I've read a few comment sections on reviews of this movie and it seems to be most people quite enjoyed it, most called it fun and a laugh.

Guessing its quite well liked by a general audience, sadly it was made for them and not us lol.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by paranoid101 View Post
    I've read a few comment sections on reviews of this movie and it seems to be most people quite enjoyed it, most called it fun and a laugh.

Guessing its quite well liked by a general audience, sadly it was made for them and not us lol.
    For me, that seems to be the case with nearly all modern movies.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post

Seriously. Snyder, dude, HIRE A WRITER WORTH A DAMN!!!
    I think it was on the Happy, Sad, Confused podcast Snyder said he tried hiring James Gunn, but he was too busy with Suicide Squad. With that being said, I don’t think Army has been written for years. Speculation here, but I got the impression that Snyder has had this idea ever since he made Dawn04, but it was only just recently fleshed out to a full script. Netflix may have given him the green light on a basic outline because they wanted his name recognition on their service.
    Last edited by bassman; 26-May-2021 at 10:01 PM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I think it was on the Happy, Sad, Confused podcast Snyder said he tried hiring James Gunn, but he was too busy with Suicide Squad. With that being said, I don’t think Army has been written for years. Speculation here, but I got the impression that Snyder has had this idea ever since he made Dawn04, but it was only just recently fleshed out to a full script. Netflix may have given him the green light on a basic outline because they wanted his name recognition on their service.
    Interesting.

Well, the next thing would have been to hire, I don't know, another writer is one single writer wasn't available!

If that was indeed the case, that the idea had been lying around for ages undeveloped, and then it was rushed into a script, it makes even more sense that it turned out like it did. Yowza.

They've got a few bob lying around, Snyder could've hired a writer to flesh out the story and characters properly as a future investment, someone who could then write the actual script once it was greenlit. Snyder was pulling so many duties on this flick, too, that there'd simply not be the time to write it, even with Shay Hatten (John Wick 3) and Joby Harold (King Arthur: Legend of the Sword) helping on script duties as it ended up being.

Just been bitten

Scotland
    I think my expectations were so low for this that when it came to viewing it I was pleasantly surprised. It was wasn't awful and it wasn't good but I watched it and I think I enjoyed it despite all the nonsense going on with regards to the Alpha zombies, robot zombies and off screen kills.

I think the prequel is call Army of Thieves with no zombies, and Snyder is hoping for a live action sequel. I am sure an animated series/sequel is coming.

Next up... SYFY's Day of the Dead... If only there was a definitive version of Day of the Dead lying around in script format that all those with their horribly failed attempts to remake the Romero classic could have made instead.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicMoonMonkey View Post
    I think my expectations were so low for this that when it came to viewing it I was pleasantly surprised. It was wasn't awful and it wasn't good but I watched it and I think I enjoyed it despite all the nonsense going on with regards to the Alpha zombies, robot zombies and off screen kills.

I think the prequel is call Army of Thieves with no zombies, and Snyder is hoping for a live action sequel. I am sure an animated series/sequel is coming.

Next up... SYFY's Day of the Dead... If only there was a definitive version of Day of the Dead lying around in script format that all those with their horribly failed attempts to remake the Romero classic could have made instead.
    Huh? - https://fiction.homepageofthedead.co...dfiction=1070H

BTW: I'm not a huge fan of the original Day script. Some elements work well. Other's not so well IMHO.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    An Easter Egg was found tying Army of the Dead to Dawn of the Dead (2004)

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/256...wn-of-the-dead

- - - Updated - - -

Interesting.

Well, the next thing would have been to hire, I don't know, another writer is one single writer wasn't available!

If that was indeed the case, that the idea had been lying around for ages undeveloped, and then it was rushed into a script, it makes even more sense that it turned out like it did. Yowza.

They've got a few bob lying around, Snyder could've hired a writer to flesh out the story and characters properly as a future investment, someone who could then write the actual script once it was greenlit. Snyder was pulling so many duties on this flick, too, that there'd simply not be the time to write it, even with Shay Hatten (John Wick 3) and Joby Harold (King Arthur: Legend of the Sword) helping on script duties as it ended up being.

This I don't get, you're telling me with a $90 million budget they couldn't have gotten the script doctors from Dawn 04 (Scott Frank or Michael Tolkien) considering Zack lifted the IDEA of the fighter jets carpet bombing Vegas from Tolkien's version of DAWN 2004.

Hell, I could have written a better script and my writing sucks ass.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

Super Moderator

UK
    An Easter Egg was found tying Army of the Dead to Dawn of the Dead (2004)

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/256...wn-of-the-dead
    If that blink and you'll miss it easter egg is supposed to genuinely connect the two films, then much like the rest of AOTD it doesn't make a lick of sense - seeing as the 2004 remake depicted a global apocalypse with all the news outlets going dark as the world collapsed.

It'll just be a wink, but even as a wink it doesn't make sense because of the above.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    If that blink and you'll miss it easter egg is supposed to genuinely connect the two films, then much like the rest of AOTD it doesn't make a lick of sense - seeing as the 2004 remake depicted a global apocalypse with all the news outlets going dark as the world collapsed.

It'll just be a wink, but even as a wink it doesn't make sense because of the above.
    Well, isn't that purpose of an Easter Egg? To be hidden and hunted down?
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

Super Moderator

UK
    Well, isn't that purpose of an Easter Egg? To be hidden and hunted down?
    Well, sure, but the point was more to do with the easter egg not actually making sense in AOTD because 'the Milwaukee' thing was actually the zombie apocalypse and the end of civilisation, as a wink sure, but for someone to then link the two? If that's intended by the filmmakers - that these two events are in the same timeline - it makes zero sense. If it is indeed just a wink and nothing more then fine, but then you've got some random misreading it entirely ... and then you've got a load of clickbaity bullshit articles springing up all over.

Administrator

England
    Trying to make sense of its madness...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucWbmwPCfj8
    -Carl Sagan