Thread: TWD 9x09 "Adaptation" episode discussion... **SPOILERS**

Super Moderator

UK

TWD 9x09 "Adaptation" episode discussion... **SPOILERS**

Please keep all talk of episode 9x09 "Adaptation" specifically inside this thread.

If you have a theory for a following episode, please use the "spoiler tags" (visit the HPOTD FAQ to find out how to use them if you don't already know).

Similarly, if you're going to discuss plot points from the comic book, please use "spoiler tags" - not everyone is up-to-date on them, and some people don't read them at all.

Enjoy!

Directed by: Greg Nicotero
    Written by: Corey Reed

It's back, baby!

Last edited by MinionZombie; 08-Feb-2019 at 10:00 AM.

United States
    The cemetery scene was really good. Great creep factor there. The idea of the Whisperers from the comic always seemed goofy to me. But I am really enjoying their introduction. It’s a terrifying concept. A Walker was once a feared obstacle which after years of survival became a nuisance. People walking up to walkers and stabbing them was a common. The whisperers occurrence have now made the Walker threat real again.

Super Moderator

UK
    Enjoyed this episode and it's good to have it back. It's nice to see subtle little things that make sense - i.e. Michonne heads back to Alexandria to inform them about the new threat rather than leaving them to swing in the wind unawares, and Daryl knows to stick around and eavesdrop on Henry and Lydia's conversation.

There were a couple of possible Romero film references in this episode: the rack focus from the spider web to the passing zombie reminded me of 'web to action rack focus' in Land of the Dead (when the scavenging party invades the town), and the bit where Negan uses the shovel to decapitate the burned walker had echoes of the 'spade in the mouth' half-decap from Day of the Dead.

I still think Judith wielding Rick's gun is a bit daft (it's just so big for her). I do like the inherited nature of it, but practically speaking it does seem a bit silly ... mind you, it's not a huge deal either, so no need to make a big stink out of it.

I really enjoyed Negan's plotline in this episode as well, skulking around his fallen kingdom and coming to the realisation himself that he should head back. Oh! And I loved the moment when he's on his knees puking his guts up - because it's in the clearing from 7x01 and he's in the spot where he'd previously been standing with Abraham and Glenn smeared all over Lucille. Such a powerful juxtaposition both visually and thematically. Loved it.

Facestabber - aye, there's a new danger to approaching a walker now. You don't know if it's going to be an 'easy' kill or if the supposed zombie is suddenly going to go all fighty-stabby on you. Hell, KNB and the writers are still coming up with ways to throw in surprises with walkers - specifically the walker that had a really rank half-body walker attached to its leg!

As you said, the Whisperers were a bit of an iffy concept in the comics. Frankly they needed more work as I don't think Kirkman really figured out the concept well enough. However Kang & Co are managing to make this work much better than in the comics - thus far at least. The 'the masks mean they leave us alone' thing is still iffy in terms of 'in-world science' much like the smell thing, but if I can let that be then I can let this be as well. Samantha Morton (Minority Report, Shame) is in the role of Alpha (with the sawn-off shotgun at the end), so I'm really looking forward to seeing what she brings to the role. With a concept as out-there as this you need some serious acting chops to make it work. It's still a bummer that we won't be getting Carl's story told through Carl (damn you, Gimple!), and no disrespect to Henry (who's doing a stand-up job), but as a fan of TWD I do feel a bit robbed of that, you know? Anyway...

TWD 9x09 Meme:

Last edited by MinionZombie; 11-Feb-2019 at 04:55 PM.

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    and the bit where Negan uses the shovel to decapitate the burned walker had echoes of the 'spade in the mouth' half-decap from Day of the Dead.
    The face-down position and the messed up state of the zombie also reminded me of the head-smashing with the cross of the graveyard zombie in Zombie.

United States
    Loved Negan’s arc in this episode. Also really liked how it wasn’t an explosive balls to the wall premier either. It was a nice build up for the rest of the season. Gone are the days of big premieres and finales and filler in between.

Lots of Easter eggs here too including Negan kneeling in the same exact spot where he killed Glenn and Abraham.

Daryl is once again becoming a favorite of mine.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

United States
    The whisperers are adding a long overdue creepiness to the zombies. the group had become so adapt at simply walking up and sticking a knife in the brain and killing the zeds that there wasnt really a fear factor any longer. I liked how daryl shot arrows at the legs to see if they were real walkers or whisperers.
    D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombie Snack View Post
    The whisperers are adding a long overdue creepiness to the zombies. the group had become so adapt at simply walking up and sticking a knife in the brain and killing the zeds that there wasnt really a fear factor any longer. I liked how daryl shot arrows at the legs to see if they were real walkers or whisperers.
    Couldn’t agree more. The threat is very real now.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by facestabber View Post
    The cemetery scene was really good. Great creep factor there. The idea of the Whisperers from the comic always seemed goofy to me. But I am really enjoying their introduction. It’s a terrifying concept. A Walker was once a feared obstacle which after years of survival became a nuisance. People walking up to walkers and stabbing them was a common. The whisperers occurrence have now made the Walker threat real again.
    Indeed! That was the first episode in a loooong time that actually really surprised/engaged me!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan