Thread: Night Gallery reboot/re-imagining

Rising

United States

Night Gallery reboot/re-imagining

https://www.slashfilm.com/night-gall...e-digital-age/

This is the first time that this Rod Serling show will have a "remake", unlike his more popular and less "dark" Twilight Zone, which will now go through its third "reincarnation". Let's hope that the producers respect:

1- the anthology format of the original

2- its primary focus on horror stories

3- the dark, gritty and creepy style & spirit of the original paintings & statuary which served as "intros" for the show & stories (these works of art of the original show which have managed to survive are now collector's items)

Ireland
    Oh FFS, they're remaking this as well?
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    The timing seems a bit suspicious, but I’m certainly open to it. I enjoy Night Gallery, but it’s nowhere close to the same level as Twilight Zone. I’m not overly confident in the people involved with rebooting it, either. I certainly don’t feel as optimistic for it as I do Jordan Peele’s new TZ series, but will hope for the best.

At the very least it may help to shine more light on Serling’s phenomenal writing skills, so that’s always a good thing.
    Last edited by bassman; 18-Feb-2019 at 10:00 PM. Reason: .

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Oh FFS, they're remaking this as well?
    Nothing is sacred anymore. I love this idea but...anthology shows in this TV era haven't exactly done well. I think you are up against it with an anthology show anyway. Your show is only as good as the guest actors you can hire and it's almost impossible to weave any kind of narrative into it.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Seems to me that anthologies are actually doing quite well these days. Black Mirror probably being the current high water mark. Recent reviews are saying the new Twilight Zone is great too, so we may be catching a new wave of anthology shows for a while.

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    Nothing is sacred anymore. I love this idea but...anthology shows in this TV era haven't exactly done well. I think you are up against it with an anthology show anyway. Your show is only as good as the guest actors you can hire and it's almost impossible to weave any kind of narrative into it.
    Agreed. But, as someone who has a particular soft spot for 'The Night Gallery' (even though I came to it late) I greet such news with a bit of tingling, and not in a good way, if you know what I mean Mike.

Anyway, sure we'll see what happens with it. Ya never know, it could be ok?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Black Mirror probably being the current high water mark.
    Personally, I think 'Black Mirror' is terribly overrated Bassy.

And I say that as someone who finds Charlie Brooker very agreeable.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    That’s fair, shoot. Even if Black Mirror isn’t your preferable series, it still probably stands as the most prominent anthology series going at the moment, garnering lots of attention. My point was more to Mike’s comment that anthologies don’t work these days, while it seems to me that we’re on an upswing of anthologies. Black Mirror has made an impact with some folks, there’s also Channel Zero, new Twilight Zone, new Night Gallery, new Creepshow, new Tales From The Crypt, etc.

With television having gone through so many changes and there being SO much content these days, it appears that the concept of anthology shows has found a new niche and fan base. Even if half of them are duds, it seems to me there’s an anthology renaissance happening at this very moment.

Rising

United States
    ...new Tales From The Crypt, etc.
    Huh? Must have missed this one. Is it on already or is it coming up?

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    Huh? Must have missed this one. Is it on already or is it coming up?
    It’s been a while since I’ve heard anything new, but last I heard, M Night Shymalan was working on reviving the series for release within the next year or two.

EDIT: my information was out of date. Shymalan has come out and said the show has been put into turn around because of difficulties involving the various rights holders. Strange considering that they even produced a teaser!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1ELCWlRwM8

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.syf...et-under%3famp

Even if Shymalan’s version is dead, with the recent surge in anthology popularity, I imagine they’ll try again. Especially if Twilight Zone and Creepshow are well received.
    Last edited by bassman; 30-Mar-2019 at 04:23 PM. Reason: .

Rising

United States
    It’s been a while since I’ve heard anything new, but last I heard, M Night Shymalan was working on reviving the series for release within the next year or two.
    On HBO again?

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    According to that article about the revival being cancelled, it was being produced for TNT. Which raises all sorts of concerns, so maybe it’s best the project was put into turn around for the time being. Maybe soon the rights can be straightened out and someone will give it another go and put it on HBO like it should be...

Rising

United States
    According to that article about the revival being cancelled, it was being produced for TNT. Which raises all sorts of concerns, so maybe it’s best the project was put into turn around for the time being. Maybe soon the rights can be straightened out and someone will give it another go and put it on HBO like it should be...
    Yes, indeed, this should be on a network that can get away with a lot of stuff, not really for TNT.

From that teaser trailer, it seems as if footage for some episodes was shot. It would be interesting to know if whatever episodes have already been done or worked on will actually be used if the new series does get a green-light again.