Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Living Dead - NEW book by George Romero and Daniel Kraus coming in 2020!

Undisclosed

The Living Dead - NEW book by George Romero and Daniel Kraus coming in 2020!

Romero tinkered with The Living Dead novel for over a decade before passing away, with writer Daniel Kraus later brought on to finish the book. Now Kraus has confirmed via his Twitter that his work is finished and the book has been submitted. Tor Books will publish the novel in June 2020. Sounds like a definite for me!

Link to full article: https://screenrant.com/george-romero...-release-date/

Administrator

England
    Looking forward to this!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    yes, i am looking forward to this
    D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

Canada
    So this has been out for a while now. Is there a thread for it somewhere that I just missed somehow?

Anyway I'm currently about half way through, and I love it so far. Anybody else read it?
    Last edited by BountyHunter; 05-Oct-2020 at 10:05 PM. Reason: Punctuation error

United States
    I saw it for sale on Amazon.

The reviews are mixed on it. I am not an avid reader in the first place, and one thing that turned me off immediately is that some reviewers have said that Kraus or whoever had to shoehorn modern political overtones and "woke" bullshit into it. I ain't reading that shit. I avoid the news so I don't have to hear it.

Canada
    It's there, all right. But it's not distracting me from enjoying the novel. And honestly, I probably wouldn't even have noticed if I hadn't made the mistake of reading some reviews before I bought it.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by beat_truck View Post
    I saw it for sale on Amazon.

The reviews are mixed on it. I am not an avid reader in the first place, and one thing that turned me off immediately is that some reviewers have said that Kraus or whoever had to shoehorn modern political overtones and "woke" bullshit into it. I ain't reading that shit. I avoid the news so I don't have to hear it.
    Quote Originally Posted by BountyHunter View Post
    It's there, all right. But it's not distracting me from enjoying the novel. And honestly, I probably wouldn't even have noticed if I hadn't made the mistake of reading some reviews before I bought it.
    What are we talking about here exactly? The usual Romero themes (that someone has mis-labeled as "woke" in this day-and-age), or some actual cringe-inducing Twittersphere level stuff?
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 07-Oct-2020 at 10:16 AM.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    What are we talking about here exactly? The usual Romero themes (that someone has mis-labeled as "woke" in this day-and-age), or some actual cringe-inducing Twittersphere level stuff?
    I haven't read it, so I couldn't tell you for sure. Here is the Amazon listing with the reviews, though.
    https://www.amazon.com/Living-Dead-G...2124198&sr=8-1

Super Moderator

UK
    I haven't read it, so I couldn't tell you for sure. Here is the Amazon listing with the reviews, though.
    https://www.amazon.com/Living-Dead-G...2124198&sr=8-1
    Hmmm ... ... sounds like it's a bit of a long slog to read. I did see the page count and I thought why on earth does it need to be that long? Seems a fair number of reviewers are complaining of Kraus' meandering prose and apparent tendency to stretch out events to unnecessary lengths - this is the sort of thing that'd wind me right up.

United States
    Hmmm ... ... sounds like it's a bit of a long slog to read. I did see the page count and I thought why on earth does it need to be that long? Seems a fair number of reviewers are complaining of Kraus' meandering prose and apparent tendency to stretch out events to unnecessary lengths - this is the sort of thing that'd wind me right up.
    I am the same. Like I mentioned, I am not an avid reader to start with, so something that drags along and doesn't get to the point would be a turnoff for me.

I have a couple Stephen King books that I'd like to read eventually because they are supposed to be better/different than the movie versions. I'd especially like to read Salem's Lot but it is like 650+ pages. I would likely forget the details form the beginning before I got to the end.

Super Moderator

UK
    I am the same. Like I mentioned, I am not an avid reader to start with, so something that drags along and doesn't get to the point would be a turnoff for me.

I have a couple Stephen King books that I'd like to read eventually because they are supposed to be better/different than the movie versions. I'd especially like to read Salem's Lot but it is like 650+ pages. I would likely forget the details form the beginning before I got to the end.
    It's also an issue of having the time, as well.

Right now I'm reading the latest Chuck Palahniuk, which is a nice and brisk 228 pages, so I'm making good headway through that (it helps, of course, that I'm quite into the story).

I've got a couple of James Ellroy's latest (Perfidia as well as This Storm), but they're both chunky tomes (Perfidia is pushing 800 ruddy pages!), and while I'm a big fan of Ellroy's work and have read everything prior to Perfidia, finding the time to read it is a problem. For the last three years, in September, I made a point to knuckle down and make my way through his 'Underworld USA Trilogy' (which was very good, but also very long with each book pushing 600 or 700 pages each). It's funny, too, because numerous fans have been pointing out the sheer length of some of his more recent books, and you see the sneaky ways his publishers are trying to limit the page counts. Perfidia has no spaces between chapters (unlike the Underworld USA Trilogy, which had, say, 50 pages worth of blank spaces over the entire course of each book), and This Storm (the follow-up to Perfidia) has different (larger) dimensions so you get more text on each page to try and trim the page count down a bit.

Now, as I said before, I am a big fan of Ellroy's work, so I'd still enjoy making my way through all those pages - but in terms of "The Living Dead", which seems to have most been written by someone else going on notes written by Romero himself, I'm much less keen.

United States
    Now, as I said before, I am a big fan of Ellroy's work, so I'd still enjoy making my way through all those pages - but in terms of "The Living Dead", which seems to have most been written by someone else going on notes written by Romero himself, I'm much less keen.
    Yeah, that is another thing. If Romero wrote it himself, I would be more interested. I'm not so much interested in someone else's interpretation.

Fresh Meat

Aaland
    I'd especially like to read Salem's Lot but it is like 650+ pages. I would likely forget the details form the beginning before I got to the end.
    Late response I know but Salems Lot is one of the best King books, I've read it 3 times. Its a real page turner and I hardly noticed how many pages there were.

Administrator

England
    Finished this last night. Some very good sections, many reasonable sections, and a few poor sections. The ending of the book fell flat for me unfortunately.

But most importantly, in the author's commentary at the end, Homepage of the Dead is mentioned

ps: I've always struggled with the notion of zombie animals too, no matter if Romero was for them or not
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Great Britain
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Finished this last night. Some very good sections, many reasonable sections, and a few poor sections. The ending of the book fell flat for me unfortunately.

But most importantly, in the author's commentary at the end, Homepage of the Dead is mentioned

ps: I've always struggled with the notion of zombie animals too, no matter if Romero was for them or not
    Yep Zombie animals means game over for the human race in any book, film, etc.

Zombie Runners are bad enough to deal with imagine zombie rats, birds, fish, insects, you would have no chance.