Thread: TWD 9x11 "Bounty" episode discussion... **SPOILERS**

Super Moderator

UK

TWD 9x11 "Bounty" episode discussion... **SPOILERS**

Please keep all talk of episode 9x11 "Bounty" specifically inside this thread.

If you have a theory for a following episode, please use the "spoiler tags" (visit the HPOTD FAQ to find out how to use them if you don't already know).

Similarly, if you're going to discuss plot points from the comic book, please use "spoiler tags" - not everyone is up-to-date on them, and some people don't read them at all.

Enjoy!

Directed by: Meera Menon
    Written by: Matthew Negrete

The savage group led by Alpha confronts the Hilltop in a harrowing attempt to retrieve her daughter. A supply run for the Kingdom turns into a dangerous quest.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 25-Feb-2019 at 10:31 AM.

Super Moderator

UK
    Compared to 9a, the first three episodes of 9b have been on the slower side (9a was crammed full with stuff), although this one had some nice tension with Alpha and The Whispers (a good band name, there) at the gates of Hilltop. Still, though, it goes to show that even under the much improved leadership of Angela Kang, we could really do with TWD being reduced to 12 episodes per season (six and six on either side of Xmas).

Loved the 'popcorn machine' gag with the glass shearing off parts of walker heads.

Some time-jumping going on in this one up front, as we went back in time (notice Carol's shorter hair), but it was all to do with the charter.

The bit with the baby was quite tense and summed up the methods (and madness) of The Whisperers. It was nice to see the older couple from Hilltop take the baby on at the end.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 25-Feb-2019 at 10:36 AM.

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    The bit with the baby was quite tense and summed up the methods (and madness) of The Whisperers. It was nice to see the older couple from Hilltop take the baby on at the end.
    The part about the zombies in the cornfield was obviously inspired by the sequence in a similar setting in The Dead (2010), here aggravated by the fact that the human character is deaf and on top of that is carrying a crying baby!

UK
    haven't seen the episode yet (uk and all that) but... just an observation. in the above still, is that a vapour trail in the sky? oops!
    I'm hungry, but I'm not hungry hungry.

United States
    The scene in the cornfield was really good. The use of the baby kind of didn’t sit right with me but that’s the point. Just shows how much influence Alpha has over her people. They really are animals.

Lol didn’t notice the vapor trail before.

Loved all the light hearted Kingdom material in this one. Ezekiel and Jerry are so entertaining together.

Slower paced, sure, but was into it the entire time. My favorite of the second half for sure.

I hated Carl during this arc and Henry is being equally annoying as I feared lol.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

United States
    I really enjoyed this. The baby scene made me sick. Negotiations are off with a group like that. Full fledge termination.

Im very pleased to see the Daryl from seasons 1-4 shine through. He is a great character when not reduced to grunting. I am afraid Daryl may have tipped their hand of lack of guns/ammo. His threat seemed idle to me. If you threaten firepower, IMO, I would openly display it. Unless ofcourse you don't have it. I think Alpha picked up on it as well.

This show is down some serious talent and great characters but I am really enjoying this season.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by UndeadHippo View Post
    haven't seen the episode yet (uk and all that) but... just an observation. in the above still, is that a vapour trail in the sky? oops!
    Not sure if it was in the episode or not, but that picture will have been taken by the unit photographer - so in other words it's not a screenshot from the actual episode.

I'd check if it's there in the episode ... buuuuut, I can't be arsed.

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    Loved all the light hearted Kingdom material in this one. Ezekiel and Jerry are so entertaining together.

I hated Carl during this arc and Henry is being equally annoying as I feared lol.
    Gotta love a bit of Ezekiel and Jerry - a great combo, so they are. It's nice to have a fun lovin' type of character in amongst the more serious ones.

Yeah, we're getting a little bit of the 'petulant teen' thing, that can so often be a bit of a nuisance. I just hope he gets a solid lesson in reality as a result of it all. But hell, he's a teen boy and a pretty girl gives him a kiss - Daryl & Co had no chance of keeping him around to be sensible!

United States
    I was fine with Henry until he decided to hide Lydia away from Hilltop once he saw the Hilltop captives. That’s some selfish shit. Even after Enid pleaded and made great points he still refused like a dweeb.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    I was fine with Henry until he decided to hide Lydia away from Hilltop once he saw the Hilltop captives. That’s some selfish shit. Even after Enid pleaded and made great points he still refused like a dweeb.
    I dont hate Henry but I sure wish Carl was here for this. Was Henry aware that Alden and Luke were alive, captured and offered as trade when he bailed with her? IIRC he was unaware of that until Enid tracked him down. I may be wrong. If he did know and still bailed, yea thats a complete dick move.

I don't trust Lydia yet. I don't doubt she gets abused. But the characters sure put my feelings into their spoken word. Sometimes shit happens and you just have to deal with it. Lydia may be a good kid that wants a nice existence but the trade was the right thing to do. Now after the trade I would have handled it differently if sufficiently armed with guns. The display of the baby situation and Alpha's proven dominance(command orders and slapped her daughter for insubordinance) told me enough about them. First bullet goes through Alpha's spine, then controlled machine gun bursts at leg/torso level. Let the Walkers show up and finish off the wounded Whisperers. I would have offered Lydia supervised sanctuary.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by facestabber View Post
    I dont hate Henry but I sure wish Carl was here for this. Was Henry aware that Alden and Luke were alive, captured and offered as trade when he bailed with her? IIRC he was unaware of that until Enid tracked him down. I may be wrong. If he did know and still bailed, yea thats a complete dick move.

I don't trust Lydia yet. I don't doubt she gets abused. But the characters sure put my feelings into their spoken word. Sometimes shit happens and you just have to deal with it. Lydia may be a good kid that wants a nice existence but the trade was the right thing to do. Now after the trade I would have handled it differently if sufficiently armed with guns. The display of the baby situation and Alpha's proven dominance(command orders and slapped her daughter for insubordinance) told me enough about them. First bullet goes through Alpha's spine, then controlled machine gun bursts at leg/torso level. Let the Walkers show up and finish off the wounded Whisperers. I would have offered Lydia supervised sanctuary.
    I believe someone said Henry bailed once he saw they had Alden. Also, even after Enid explained what was going on he still was like “No.”

United States
    Henry acts like an immature little child, I guess thats what happens when your "mom and dad" are the queen and king. Anyways besides Henrys actions this episode was another slow burner with bits of ah ha sprinkled in. It does appear the Hilltop have a limited amount of guns or ammo or surely after that baby stunt they would have known to eliminate this new threat immediatly. I dont trust lydia at all, I think young immature Henry got played.
    D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombie Snack View Post
    Henry acts like an immature little child, I guess thats what happens when your "mom and dad" are the queen and king. Anyways besides Henrys actions this episode was another slow burner with bits of ah ha sprinkled in. It does appear the Hilltop have a limited amount of guns or ammo or surely after that baby stunt they would have known to eliminate this new threat immediatly. I dont trust lydia at all, I think young immature Henry got played.
    Sure hope Hilltop is smart enough to block the secret entrance cause Henry to Lydia out that way.

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by facestabber View Post
    Sure hope Hilltop is smart enough to block the secret entrance cause Henry to Lydia out that way.
    at this point calling it a "secret" entrance is a stretch. every bugger seems to know about it, even the new arrivals. BIG security flaw, after all, entrances work two ways. all it takes is a sharp observer, or say, Lydia, and the whisperers can just sneak right in. at least post a guard!
    I'm hungry, but I'm not hungry hungry.