Thread: TWD 9x12 "Guardians" episode discussion... **SPOILERS**

Super Moderator

UK

TWD 9x12 "Guardians" episode discussion... **SPOILERS**

Please keep all talk of episode 9x12 "Guardians" specifically inside this thread.

If you have a theory for a following episode, please use the "spoiler tags" (visit the HPOTD FAQ to find out how to use them if you don't already know).

Similarly, if you're going to discuss plot points from the comic book, please use "spoiler tags" - not everyone is up-to-date on them, and some people don't read them at all.

Enjoy!

Directed by: Michael E. Satrazemis
    Written by: LaToya Morgan

While one community struggles to ease tensions that threaten to divide from within, the true nature of another group comes into focus. A mission to rescue a friend has deadly consequences.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 02-Mar-2019 at 10:31 AM.

Super Moderator

UK
    Solid episode. The last couple were a smidge on the slow side for me, so this one cranked it back up a bit, but more in terms of the amount of story unfolding on screen as well as the meatiness of it. The stuff with Michonne vs Negan as well as Michonne vs Judith and Michonne vs The Council made for some really interesting material.

It was also nice to get a bit more of a look at how The Whisperers operate, although it seems they've been somewhat tweaked from their comics counterpart in terms of how abusive they are, but at the same time the show is (thankfully) selling them as a concept far better than the comics ever really managed.

It's also nice to see the show really using the concept fully - we've have Whisperers as surprise attackers in a group of walkers, we've had Daryl finding a Whisperer amidst a group and wounding them to split the walkers from the Whisperers, and now we've had our guys disguising themselves as Whisperers to infiltrate their ranks for a rescue - speaking of, it was nice that (so far anyway) they didn't spend loads of time farting around trying to find Henry (good, too, because Daryl's awesome tracking skills wouldn't allow for it anyway).

Similarly, the comics spent a lot of time showing Eugene secretly talking to people on the radio before it was discovered, so it's nice to not spend a bunch of time twiddling thumbs over that - the radio setup is all out in the open and indeed it was nice to have that conversation unfold about the 'chicken and the egg' cost of the whole endeavour. I assume the radio aspect will be used more at a later date, but for now it's nice that Kang & Co are trimming out some of the dead weight from that arc in the comics.

Also, Beta is pretty cool as an on-screen presence. Alpha taking out those challengers was pretty awesome.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 04-Mar-2019 at 04:52 PM.

United States
    I kinda figured they wouldn’t allow the rape and abuse on the show. Not even a hint of it. They are doing a solid job of translating The Whisperers; a goofy concept on paper- very well on screen. Alpha is super cool and Beta is equally intimidating. Loved they kept her violent and didn’t tone her down.

Agree on all the trimming of storyline fodder too. Even the meh love quartet was already handled.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

United States
    I found bits and pieces of this episode to be interesting and have some good conversation material but not my favorite offering this back half of the season. I do not read the comics so I can't say how things are being done on film versus print. Alpha seems to be a complete homicidal maniac and Beta seems to be at her beck and call and a very dangerous guy. I felt no connection with the pregnancy twist or who is the baby daddy story line. Good to see Michonne get over her power trip after talking to Neegan, although I am sure there will be bad consequences.
    D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    I kinda figured they wouldn’t allow the rape and abuse on the show. Not even a hint of it. They are doing a solid job of translating The Whisperers; a goofy concept on paper- very well on screen. Alpha is super cool and Beta is equally intimidating. Loved they kept her violent and didn’t tone her down.
    Aye, I figured they would too - considering the wide target audience, rating, current climate, and especially after the tweaks to The Governor storyline (which is horrifically brutal at times in the comics) way back in season 3. They pivoted on that issue and had physical abuse instead (the marks that Daryl saw), and actually that works quite well thematically as it allowed for Daryl to find common ground and a way in when interrogating her, and that in-turn generally improved the interrogation scenes compared to their comics counterparts.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Aye, I figured they would too - considering the wide target audience, rating, current climate, and especially after the tweaks to The Governor storyline (which is horrifically brutal at times in the comics) way back in season 3. They pivoted on that issue and had physical abuse instead (the marks that Daryl saw), and actually that works quite well thematically as it allowed for Daryl to find common ground and a way in when interrogating her, and that in-turn generally improved the interrogation scenes compared to their comics counterparts.
    It isn’t really needed; although I personally believe it helps portray the animalistic nature of the Whisperers, I get why it’s not written in.

Notice anything familiar about Beta’s clothing?
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Super Moderator

UK
    Here's a question for the group: what would it take for you to begin to trust Negan and utilise him in some way beyond keeping him locked in a cell 24/7?

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    Notice anything familiar about Beta’s clothing?
    Is that Jesus' coat?

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Here's a question for the group: what would it take for you to begin to trust Negan and utilise him in some way beyond keeping him locked in a cell 24/7?

Is that Jesus' coat?
    1- Negan could be a strong leader. I’ve always said Rick and group done him dirty first haha. Killing Saviors in their sleep, that’s some cold shit, Officer Friendly. (I know The Saviors came across our group first lol)

2- They added little homages of past heroes and villains to Beta’s attire. The belt buckle, scarf, ankle wraps, the coat, ect.

United States
    Finally got to watch. I miss the hell out of Rick Grimes but I’m enjoying this arc. Alpha is cold, calculated and power hungry.