Thread: TWD 9x13 "Chokepoint" episode discussion... **SPOILERS**

Super Moderator

UK

TWD 9x13 "Chokepoint" episode discussion... **SPOILERS**

Please keep all talk of episode 9x13 "Chokepoint" specifically inside this thread.

If you have a theory for a following episode, please use the "spoiler tags" (visit the HPOTD FAQ to find out how to use them if you don't already know).

Similarly, if you're going to discuss plot points from the comic book, please use "spoiler tags" - not everyone is up-to-date on them, and some people don't read them at all.

Enjoy!

Directed by: Liesl Tommy
    Written by: Eddie Guzelian & David Leslie Johnson-McGoldrick

Daryl's daring rescue mission forces Alpha to unleash a group of her own to retrieve what belongs to her, even if the price is paid in blood. Meanwhile, the Kingdom's plans to reunite the communities is put in jeopardy.

United States
    Daryl vs Beta!
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Super Moderator

UK
    Solid episode this week, with a good amount of stuff going on. I liked the different approach to The Highwaymen (the leader of whom should be recognisible to anyone who's seen the Insidious movies), and that common sense can be achieved even in the zombie apocalypse - it's also a nice contrast to The Whisperers, with whom you most certainly cannot reason. They're way beyond normal thinking, the promise of respect and a fair share in exchange for work (and movies!) ain't of interest to The Whisperers.

I'm really enjoying the Connie/Daryl combo.

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    Daryl vs Beta!
    That part was awesome and genuinely tense - and Beta just bulldozing through that wall was cool. The fight was pretty darn brutal, too. Daryl's usually got stuff under control, but this time he couldn't just brawl and bash his way through, so some crafty smarts were in order.

United States
    The look on Daryl’s face when he first got bulldozed by Beta was priceless! Never seen that side of Daryl before haha.

Beta showing he’s a thinker as well. He knew what was going on and that door shield was awesome.

I liked the contrast with the Highwaymen as well. Everything with the Kingdom this season has been really enjoyable.

I also must say, I just love Tara’s walk. I want more from Magna.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

United States
    A better episode than the last couple in my opinion. The Daryl vs Beta fight scene was well acted out by both actors, I really felt like Daryl had met his match and possible his fate, his demise but he lived to fight another day. The Kingdom looking to reason and bargain with the Highwaymen was a nice approach but who would have thought a movie would carry so much bargaining power in the apocolypse. Connie is a badass.
    D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

Super Moderator

UK
    There's often nice little details, or moments of deduction, from the characters this season - e.g. the pirate's note being grammatically correct (and, albeit not really seen in the episode, their list of demands included some odd things that suggested more cultured folks). I dug their intro - in the shadows, amidst the mannequins. That reflected The Whisperers (blending into a crowd) in a cool way.

TWD 9x13 Meme:

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    The look on Daryl’s face when he first got bulldozed by Beta was priceless! Never seen that side of Daryl before haha.

Beta showing he’s a thinker as well. He knew what was going on and that door shield was awesome.
    Yeah, Beta's tactical thinking was good. It's always nice to see intelligence counteracting with intelligence. This crowd aren't easily fooled. Like you say, the door shield was a nice touch - not only do our guys have to think more craftily, they also have to improvise in the moment. You're going to find few morons left alive at this point in the zombie apocalypse. Savvy skills will be through the roof.

United States
    Another fun ride. I love the survival strategies at play. Really like to know why Eugene doesn’t appear to have been producing ammunition. A few magazines and an AR could really back the whisperers off. But I acknowledge that without the guns the group have to be far more creative.

I’m fine with the Whisperers for this show. But when I think about their day to day life, all I can conclude is, why in the fuck. Why would humans settle for that shit. It is merely existing and to what end? I don’t blame Lydia at all. Damn shame she isn’t swooning for Carl Fucking Grimes though.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by facestabber View Post
    Another fun ride. I love the survival strategies at play. Really like to know why Eugene doesn’t appear to have been producing ammunition. A few magazines and an AR could really back the whisperers off. But I acknowledge that without the guns the group have to be far more creative.

I’m fine with the Whisperers for this show. But when I think about their day to day life, all I can conclude is, why in the fuck. Why would humans settle for that shit. It is merely existing and to what end? I don’t blame Lydia at all. Damn shame she isn’t swooning for Carl Fucking Grimes though.
    The Whisperers look damn cool on the show.

Administrator

England
    Nice episode. I do wonder how people can track each other through towns and across roads etc though
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Nice episode. I do wonder how people can track each other through towns and across roads etc though
    Probably follow the tracks up to the developed area, then stalk slowly and use any clues around you - e.g. disturbed dirt on doors, any specific walker activity, paying attention to where it's most likely somebody would have gone - and if your luck holds you'll pick up the trail again?